1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tribal Wings. Update 2-8. Disaster strikes. Broken Dremmel!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Muratus, 16 Jan 2004.

1. Muratus

Muratus What's a Dremel?

Hey Everyone

Well I've been lurking around in the forums for the last month, checking out everyone's mods. I must say, I am hooked. So I ordered a chase to perform my first mod too. Now before you say everyone uses that case. I picked it and ordered it before I realized that. Plus I had chosen a tribal theme for my case again before I realized how much it had be done. So here comes the pics of the starting of Tribal Wings.

[​IMG]

This is the case in stock form.

[​IMG]

I stripped it down to start the windows and get measurements.

[​IMG]

This is the design that I will cut into both side panels.

[​IMG]

Here is the design for the top panel.

The colors once finished will be Metal flake black (like you see on boats) on the outside. Metal flake white on the inside with purple highlights. UV CCL's, Purple UV paint on certain items.

If you wondering about the name Tribal Wings, thinking I didn't see any wings. Well you'll just have to wait to see....

I'm out for now, got some cutting to do. I'll update tomorrow.

Muratus

P.S.

If you guys see anything that I'm doing looks totally screwed up. Let me know. I'm open to all the advice I can get.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2004
  2. Jpantoga

Jpantoga What's a Dremel?

Isn't this exact same thread on ocforums....or is it gideon tech? Anyways, hope it turns out well

3. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

just take your time and cut inside the lines. Use files to finish your cuts. Otherwise look around for some tips and you'll be fine

Oh yeah, the case might be over-used, but i like what you are doing with it

4. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

Aww, i was hoping you were going to leave it white... white can look so good with the right lighting :)

Love the window though! Pretty advanced for a first mod. Do you have a lot of experience in cutting designs from other things?

5. PTK

PTK What's a Dremel?

Heh, just like me.

Got the same kind of case in ALU/silver [ bought it ages ago, it was cheap and ALU.. it wasnt that commont case back then ] :naughty:. While i love tribal designs i was thinking of maybe going bit different direction.

I have a VERY fast PC thats pretty much overclocked to the max... and im putting in a watercooling solution so why not make the best of it and make it as quiet as possible. Not sure if i would loose much of that if i added a window [ maybe some experts could help me on that one.. ].

So my project is pretty much a straight forward :dremel:-job.. add watercooling and then slap on the sound damping. A window sure would be nice to see the cooling and the expensive components. :D

Got a Shuttle XPC watercooling project going on too, just wondering witch one to start working on first. :rock:

PTK

6. Muratus

Muratus What's a Dremel?

Small Update

Well, I've been cutting away, here is a pic of the side window now. I have a little cutting left on it.
    [​IMG]

During cutting breaks I started working on the front b. First I'm filling in the finger holes on the sides of the drive bays. They are a good Idea but just look bad. I'm also filling in the holes on the door and LED holes. The LED's will be moved to a differant location. Heres a pic.
    [​IMG]

I also started the other side panel. First I'm filling in the Hole from the latch. I won't be using the door latch any more. It's drying so I couldn't get a pic. I'll post one as soon as it's done.

Next step (besides more cutting on the panels) is the MOBO tray is coming out. Which is the biggest complain I've heard about these case, No removable MOBO tray, So I'm going to make mine removeable and smaller.

Also I have one question for eveyone. Has anyone tried to put fans on the bottom of the case? and use the fans on the back of the case as the intake, and the ones on the bottem as the exhaust? Seems to me that would put some nice cool air right on the CPU. Let me know what you think, as I want to fill in the slots on the front benz.

Well thats it for now.
    Muratus

7. Muratus

Muratus What's a Dremel?

Thanks, It took me forever to get a design that I liked. It is a tough one though. I used to be big time into racing R/C cars when I lived in Southern CA. I made alot of my own parts and did alot of R/C mods, so I've had some experience with a dremel.

8. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

looking good :rock:

9. Otto's

Otto's What's a Dremel?

:rock: good job ! looking for updates !

10. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

really good looking window design! any picture updates?

11. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looking good so far :)

12. Muratus

Muratus What's a Dremel?

Update 1-18

Well I've been cutting like crazy and finished the top and left panels. Now they need a ton of file and sanding action. But heres a pic.
    [​IMG]

Still working on the Front Benz and door. Filling up all the holes, almost ready for some cutting.
    [​IMG]

Next is the right door, you can see where I patched the Hole from the door latch. I used a scrap peice of metal cut to the same shape as the hole about 1/16th of a inch smaller then the actual hole. The I worked in JB Weld to fill in all the cracks let if dry for 24 hours then did the same on the other side. Now that it is totaly dry it is as strong as could be. I hit it with a hammer to make sure it was. I'll start cutting this door panel Monday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I removed the Mobo tray. To do this you have to remove the bottom of the case. Here is pics. I'm basicly going to origami the excess tray to make a hidden channel for the IDE cables. Plus make it a removable Mobo tray and have a window so you can see the back of the Mobo through the left window.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next is a pic of the panels set back on so you can see the windows together, sorta how it will look when done.
    [​IMG]

I've also started working on the PSU it's getting a window treatment on 3 sides plus some wire shortening and wrapping.
    Well thats it for now. I'll update in a few days.

Muratus

13. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

looking dope keep it up :rock:

14. Zilly

Zilly What's a Dremel?

That is looking really cool, I love it!
    Can't wait to see it all completed!

15. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

very nice dremmel work :dremel: what color do u plan on painting it, maybe black with tinted windows so the insides can only be seen with the lights on, anyways in subscribed to this one

16. OldManOfModding

OldManOfModding What's a Dremel?

17. TetarZ

TetarZ What's a Dremel?

Damn if this is your first try at modding I must that you have some pretty good work here :clap:

18. Mutton

Mutton What's a Dremel?

Good work. Though i would like to see some close ups.

Did you really do all that cutting with a dremmel not a jigsaw?
    How many discs did you get through?

Yeah its been done, but thats no reason to not do it again, and better.
    I think white would look good too dave, or even off white like cream or almond etc. Matt not gloss. Would need repainting.
    Maybe the case is used lots because it is good model to mod, just a thought...

Keep it up.

19. Muratus

Muratus What's a Dremel?

My Digital camera doesn't do good close ups. But once I get more film for my regular camera I'll post some close ups.

I did about 90% of the cutting with a jigsaw. I have gone through alot of cut off disks though. lol.

20. Muratus

Muratus What's a Dremel?

Update 1-23

Well, heres another update.

I have not cut the left panel yet, been busy working on the windowed Mobo Tray, that also has a place to hide IDE cables, and that is removable. Here are a few pic's of that transfomation.
    [​IMG]
    Mobo Tray Uncut
    [​IMG]
    Tray Cut, waiting to be bent into shape
    [​IMG]
    Here it is Windowed, removable, and look for the IDE cable hidding spot.

Next up is the PSU windowed on 3 sides, also look at the drive bay cage, see the power wires pop out. Wire stealth!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

well that is it for now. I will update again this weekend. Let me know what you think so far.

Muratus