1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other TV Licensing

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 24 Mar 2018.

?

Do you have a UK TV license?

1. Yes, and I watch live/broadcast TV or iPlayer

2. Yes, I don't require one for TV but do use other BBC services (radio, online)

3. Yes, just to support the BBC, I don't watch TV or use any BBC services

4. No, but I should

5. No, I don't require one but do use other BBC services (radio, online)

6. No, I don't require one or use any BBC services

7. I don't live in the UK

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Which is great if you're trying to detect whether I'm watching Freeview. What if I'm watching Sky? Do you know how many dishes and LNBs you'd need to receive and decode 600 channels? Let me put it this way: the detector van is going to be really, really unsubtle. Also, would probably take off in a high wind.

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

To catch the edge case of having a satellite link but never switching to an also-on-freeview channel during the capture period, offline comparison would be an ideal solution. Or look for the satellite dish that must be externally mounted and visible from the south in order of the system to function.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

All that proves is the property had Sky/Freesat at some point. That'd be a bit like saying 'I can see an aerial on your roof, therefore you must be watching TV'.

Though iirc sky [and VM] boxes require some form of internet connection to work now so you'd probably be be better off asking Sky/VM 'is there an active box at this address?'.

4. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Seems a massive waste of time having "detector vans" if they still have to come into your house with a warrant and prove your watching broadcast tv.
    Your going to get prior warning they are going to get a warrant and it would take a few minutes to unplug everything if someone did turn up and you left them outside the front door.

Also from what I've scene "enforcers" hate being filmed and instantly walk away as soon as you make them aware.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

They're rent-a-goons anyway, it's all outsourced to Captia iirc.

Archtronics likes this.
  6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

INAL but that doesn't sound right, wouldn't a prior warning sort of defeat the purpose?

7. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Yup, I guess they use it as a scare tactic to try and get people to pay.

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

A van would only be needed to request a warrant if the more basic tactics of "stand outside the property and see if a TV is visible through the window" and "knock at the door and see if a TV is visible/audible when the door is opened" have already failed to work.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Except that visibility of a TV - even one which is switched on and currently displaying AV - is not proof that you need a TV Licence. I could have a room filled with the biggest darn TVs in history, all on 24/7, and if they ain't showing live broadcasts (or BBC on-demand stuff) then I'm golden without a licence.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Isn't the bar for evidential proof lower when it comes to warrants?

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Except looking in and seeing BBC1 (and having a programme guide on hand to make sure it's a live show) is a bit of a dead giveaway.
    Yes, as in this case the warrant is for a 'we suspect based on X, we need to confirm'.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Oh, I'm sorry, I could have sworn you typed:
    Oh, wait, you did. :p

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Yes...? "Look in the window, see if a live terrestrial channel is playing" is going to be the source for the majority of warrants simply because it is so trivial to do. Van not required unless that doesn't work (e.g. TV not visible from exterior window or from outside front doorway).

14. Gareth Halfacree

That's not what you said, though. You said, and I once again quote directly, "see if a TV is visible through the window" - you didn't say anything about it showing a live terrestrial channel. I merely pointed out that "seeing if a TV is visible through the window" is not an indicator that a TV Licence is required, as it's perfectly legal to own a TV but not have a TV Licence.

15. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I thought that was basic enough to be self-evident.

16. Gareth Halfacree

For someone who spends a lot of time posting about technicalities on this 'ere forum, I'm surprised you'd make such an assumption. Remember that it's entirely possible someone can find a post without reading the whole thread, and "seeing a TV through the window" as evidence of needing a TV Licence is extremely misleading - hence my correction.

17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

It's no woollier than TV Licensing's official guidance on who does and doesn't need a license, to be fair ;)

18. Gareth Halfacree

I had my new Licence through t'other day, and I was actually quite impressed with the "Do I actually need one" section on the back. Seemed fairly clear, and definitely didn't mislead with the "owning a device capable of receiving broadcast TV" nonsense that used to be (still is? I haven't looked) on the website.

19. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I find it clear on first review, but looking a bit further into it ambiguities creep in - for instance what constitutes a "TV Service", where's the magic line where "time delay" turns into "catch-up TV". In the context of traditional broadcast TV and iPlayer it's simple, but then when considering the multitude different ways one can consume video content these days, especially on social media platforms, much less so.

20. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

What kinda bug me is the price, compared to the other services you can get for £150 a year the bbc is a bad deal.