1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubisoft disables always-on PC DRM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Jan 2011.

1. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

So me taking the step to boycott a company based on horrible customer service aka DRM in this case may have actually mattered? To bad more gamers can't take a stand when needed. Maybe we wouldn't have all this payable microtransactions (DLC) and PC games striped of PC featurers like LAN play, private servers etc.

2. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Yay now i can buy AC2 pity i've got exams coming up. I wonder if this will apply to future releases or at this point have they realised than anyone who was going to pirate their games has.

3. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Agreed - the only reason publishers have been able to get away with such DRM for this long has been due to those who continued buying, ignoring the downsides and restrictions to their rights as consumers and gamers. And it is still going on with digital distributors like Steam, GameTap, GamersGate, etc.

I'd be interested to know if this "removal" is complete (i.e. allowing buyers to install and play a game without Internet-based authorisation) or whether UbiSoft have simply moved to a "check-on-install" approach. I was interested in Settlers 7 and would consider buying it if the DRM removal was complete.

Tags: Add Tags