1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Ubisoft driven to F2P market by piracy rates of 93-95%

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 Aug 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. ADJB

ADJB What's a Dremel?

So there loathsome always on DRM was successful when it fails 95% of the time. I would hate to see one of there products that didn't succeed.

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

the metric used is called greed. Like other industries they believe that each person that pirated would of bought the game if the could not pirate it. Sadly this is far from the truth.

I do not support piracy, I do how ever support logical thinking. :D

4. Valinor

Valinor What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I'd imagine that 93-95% of people who pirate games wouldn't pay for it if they were unable to pirate it.

Also, he was misquoted on PC Gamer as saying the 93-95% figure was for the whole PC Games market. If it was just referring to Ubisoft games then I guess I could understand that ;)

5. Greenie

Greenie What's a Dremel?

I can't even begin to say how annoyed this article makes me. Those figures sound like complete crap.

I seriously doubt I'll be playing any of their F2P games, just because the quality is generally so much worse than a 'proper' game.

6. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

Might & Magic & Assassins Creed are the only Ubisoft PC titles that have ever been any good. If 93-95% of people don't pay for their games (which seems unrealistically high & without them providing back up, I'm calling ********) it's because their games just aren't worth buying.
    Personally I won't pirate anything at all. But some will pirate the things that they don't think are worth the asking price, just to try it out. If I was one of those people then I'd pirate pretty much everything in the Ubisoft catalogue, because I think very little of what they do is of a good enough quality to pay for.
    I have near zero hopes for their FTP titles.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Really? Claiming 95% piracy rates and that their hateful DRM was successful!?

I call BS on this whole article.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Um..

Yeah. Mirroring the sentiments so far in these comments - What are you talking about, Ubisoft?

I have, in the past, bought your games. I still do, on PC. Ghost Recon Future Soldier being the most recent. I was really looking forward to it (Call me a gun nut, I love that Gunsmith bit), only to have it ruined by their DRM system.

I resorted to piracy on that one, because it was the only way to enjoy the game that I had bought.

Ubisoft are getting their information pools mixed up - Their DRM does nothing but push players towards piracy with their archaic systems. The same could be said for a number of other publishers. They are, effectively, their own worst enemies.

9. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Its quite simple really, make a game worth playing and people will buy it, Skyrim, GTA,Fallout etc

10. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

This Ubisift article stinks.
    It's the crappy DRM that pushed people to use the cracked versions. I think that they should just put their games onto Steam, reduce the price and then and sit back and enjoy.
    Also if we look at DICE and the BF3 Battlelog model used to launch the game (even if it uses Origin), it's far superier than the DRM that Ubisoft forced onto us.
    My guess is that 99% on multiplayers on BF3 are using a proper paid for version and are also paying for DLC either individually or through BFPremium.

11. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

UBI Soft are full of it, right up to their necks...

cause & effect in action UBIsoft....cause & effect.

12. Jhodas

Jhodas Theorist

Had my first experience with bad DRM recently (I've just done a rebuild).
    Bought Bulletstorm from a shop. It only started up after the 3rd installation attempt because GFWL's anti-piracy gubbins wouldn't let it. Then it wouldn't let me play without updating, but the update crashed because of GFWL's anti-piracy gubbins... Pattern?
    I took it back and bought a movie.

I have friends who are game devs, so I understand why DRM has to exist, even if it's only for the placebo effect. Modern games take dozens, even hundreds of people several years to complete, they're a phenomenal investment. Shareholders are going to ask what you're doing to protect that investment, even if most of the time it's like wrapping a bus in clingfilm before you push it off a cliff. Hey, it feels safer...

TL: DR
    DRM is a good idea executed badly.

13. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Well If PC game developers have so many troubles with getting their games pirated and then played by people unwilling to pay. Why don't they use a Kickstarter mechanism to create PC games. Let the gamers pay for development. Those who payed will get a copy. Those who didn't but want to jump in have to pay the normal going price. Even if it is pirated after release you didn't loose any money because the people who wanted it payed for it anyway.

14. Redd13

Redd13 What's a Dremel?

That statistic cannot be accurate. ive never pirated an ubisoft game... For a start how do you even measure how many people illegally play a game? its another predicted ******** number that accountants suggest invasive drm should solve.

Piracy doesnt harm game sales... its free advertising from people who would NEVER buy the game.
    Retarded DRM and ******** from game developers are the real risks, but then what do you expect from a company more interested in profits.

Hope Ubisoft goes under. We need artists making games not accountants.

15. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It might help if Ubisoft made some decent games for people to buy.

16. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Their DRM doesn't seem to be doing much, if the piracy rate is that high. Kind of makes you wonder why they bothered, ne?

This article reads like Ubisoft "woe is us" propaganda and FUD. Like if they say something enough, everyone will believe them.

I've got a great idea: if PC piracy is so high, they should just release everything they've already made for the PC DRM free on something like GOG.com, and pull out of the PC market entirely. Sell their PC IP to someone interested in it and just walk away.

Then I'm sure they'll start complaining about piracy on consoles...

17. Sensei

Sensei What's a Dremel?

I just stopped buying Ubisoft games. If thats how they want to treat PC gamers then f@*k them. The sun doesn't shine out of their gaping uplay arse.

18. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

Not many people want to put money down up front for things though. The reason Kickstarter works, I believe, is a combination of the facts that it's a novelty, it's not used for many games in the grand scheme of things & that those devs that do use it are small time; people are more willing to support an underdog.
    If Kickstarter were used for everything then people would get jaded over it & if the big dogs started using it people would resent that they had to give money up front to someone who already has a lot more money than they ever will.

19. MachineUK

MachineUK What's a Dremel?

The truth is probably something like: People pirate the game to try it out (if there is no demo) to find out how buggy it is!! Mostly very poor console ports in Ubisofts case.

I did buy ghost recon FS. Within two minutes of playing I wish I hadnt. The mouse and keyboard didnt work....at all........why shoud PC gamers buy games that are broken.....day one of purchase!!

20. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

That 95% is abolute bull! Ubi inflatted that number so that they look like the poor little victim and that they have no other choice, when in reality it's only ever been thier DRM that have pushed ppl away from thier games.

And now?! We get F2P games that have allways on DRM! Big f**kin difference Ubi!!! Thanks for that!

:wallbash:

Tags: Add Tags