1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Unstable overclock

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ubiquity, 4 Sep 2010.

1. ubiquity

ubiquity What's a Dremel?

Hi, I recently ordered a overclock bundle from scan. Its the i5 760, running at a guaranteed 4Ghz overclock rather than the standard 2.8.

Windows 7 64bit bluescreened on the install screen, and now regularly blue screens at random intervals. I am going to contact scan and see what they say, I believe they did not test the stability of the overclock before shipping it of to me, but was wondering if there are any checks I can do myself to make sure it is not another problem.

Is there any good stability testing software, any suggestions would be welcome at this point!

Thanks,
    Rich

2. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

You could clear the CMOS and reset the overclock, but then you would have to manually overclock it again.
    OR
    contact SCAN and see their take on it....

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I'd retim everything on the mb and cpu then use bindi's nice guide as a reference goal http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2009/09/21/overclocking-intel-s-core-i5-750/1

but since it's prebuilt.. I'd send it back in and have them pay for shipping- explain the problem

sounds like a ripoff really.. you can do it yourself, save money.. I wouldn't do their work for them though- you paid the extra have them do the testing

4. ubiquity

The thing is I cant even touch the bios settings or I invalidate the warranty! They were nice enough to build it into the case and include the psu I bought, but I don't think they had enough time (it was a bank holiday after all) to properly test the overclock!

The whole reason I paid the extra £40 was so that I was guaranteed a stable overclock, and not left to gamble on how much milage I could get out of the i5 760. Also all the features to get it running just so totally bamboozle me in all honesty!

Have e-mailed them and put the same initial post on the scan section of this forum, lets see what happens....

Thanks for the advice :)

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I'd say it's all got to go back in the box and back to scan.

Teelzebub likes this.
  6. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Just make sure you explicitly ask Scan to choose a courier for returning things otherwise you may end up either out of pocket or in a hell of a fight to get the money back (& banned from using them again).

7. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I would send it back, if you start playing with the settings then they might not take it.

As proven by the Scan dream pc wins they do know what their doing, but i'm skeptical that you can say an overclock is 100% stable and retail it as such.

I've heard of factory overclocked gpu's artifacting and having to be turned down.

8. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Did they really fully test every OC they do ? Ive serious doubt about that
    We put a Vcore, a FSB, it boot ? Box the thing

9. ubiquity

I think I will send it back, just need for them to respond to my e-mails!

10. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

No you'll have to run the gauntlet of their Returns Department staff on the phone, recent experience has proven they can be shall we say confrontational/well it worked perfectly when it left us type of attitude and stipulate you want a courier to collect from you...

bulldogjeff likes this.
  11. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I never had problems RMA'ing goods with Scan it's just their testing methodology I've had issue with in the past.

Guest-56605 likes this.
  12. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

There's most certainly that to...

13. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

In light of the above comments on testing returns, taking some photos of the system blue-screening may be a good idea...

14. ubiquity

Thats a very good idea, I will keep my iphone ready to snap as soon as blue screen appears!