1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Using bicycle helmet cameras?

Discussion in 'General' started by bigsharn, 29 Oct 2011.

1. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

Got annoyed at everyday car drivers cutting him up and such.
    Went on Youtube and saw more and even worse examples of said activity.
    Decided to right these wrongs by purchasing a bike cam and posting his bike rides on Youtube.
    Got a little carried away with it and saw most car drivers as evil kitten killing monsters.
    Came on Bit-tech to announce this evil and gather support in slaying it.
    Got shouted down, mocked and advice thrown at and then insulted some more.
    Eventually deep down saw the error of his ways.
    However his man-honour refuses to give in, he is man, man never wrong.
    Because its the internet and someone is wrong, Bit-tech members can't and won't let it go.

The joys of Bit-tech :D

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

I've been cycling roughly on the outline of the cycle lane, until I hit the double white lines, at which point I move out to discourage folk overtaking on a blind corner.

Roads can, and do just shrink. two good examples of this are The first one on this video, where the road lane shrinks from 1.5 lanes wide to 1 lane wide, and where the cycle lanes in the video above, and the one you posted both shrink from being ~4ft in width to a little over 2ft.

In that cycle lane in particular, there's broken tarmac I've seen broken glass more times than once, and on this occasion there are wet leaves in the lane, hit any one of those badly and you're going down with a thud.

Sorry, I thought that was just a dig at my ability, I fail to see a point in that post.

It's not the speed that bothers me, if he overtakes at any speed and clips me I'm going over. It's the fact that if there was an oncoming car, there's only one place he's going to go and that's into me. He couldn't have known for definite that there was no oncoming traffic, that's why there are double white lines on that stretch.
    Admittedly I should have taken a more primary position there, but it's VERY rare I take that road.

Wet leaves, and I didn't want a car coming up behind me, hanging around on my offside hile he overtook and preventing me getting across the junction (where I turned right)

I don't mind waiting, if you look the guy never checked over his shoulder once in that entire video and I'd rather not overtake with half a lane of room, when he could easily pull out and floor me.
    The Corsa came far too close for comfort, that's what the video's about. If I can wait behind for a few seconds until I have a clear road to overtake why couldn't he? The rest of the vehicles managed a decent space when overtaking.

It's not about when she passed, if you look further ahead the bloke in the Lexus pulls across in front of her (inconsiderate, but not illegal) and she has to slam on. I kept it rolling because she had her wingmirror folded in (which is illegal), which I corrected. The reason I knocked on her window, was so she could see what I was doing, so she didn't think I'd just twatted it and ran off.

It's harder to see at the start of the video, but there's a bloke on a bike, walking his dog on a main road. Not all of my videos are about bad driving, there are plenty about dodgy cycling as well

You get used to the pedestrian thing in York, most of the streets are closed to motor vehicles (some to all vehicles) during the day. I'll have to post a video of Coppergate some time soon, and you'll see what I mean

Love you too...

Yet nobody else seems to have such a massive problem with my explanations.

Only because I had to swerve out of his way.

Clearly , you haven't read the whole thread.

I think I have as much rights on the road as everyone else. Granted I CAN use the cycle lane and other road users can't, I can't be done for speeding or mobile phone use (both exclusively apply to motorised vehicles) so *technically* yes, I do have more rights than other road users.

The cyclist would have come off whether he had a helmet or not, so I fail to see the point here.

That's all we ask for, a bit of room and for people to wait until it's safe to pass

Personally, I wear protective gear underneath a windproof cycling jacket with reflective 3m tape all over it

BS. The upkeep of the roads comes out of capitation tax, which I pay like everyone else that is a resident anywhere in the UK.

FTFY
    And I pay liability insurance for my bike, making your argument a moot point.

What cars from behind see...

What cars from in front see

What I see (even in daylight)

I've had instances where motorists mount the pavement to get around obstacles rather than wait... give it a week and I'll be sure to have an example of this.

I'd rather spend £550 on a more reliable service that's good exercise, that I can use whenever I want, and not have to be cramped up** with whining babies and urine-soaked tramps*, thanks.

*Tramps are the folks that can't be arsed having a shower and a shave now and then, or change their clothes. These are of course completely different from homeless folk who don't have this option.

**The local bus service is supposedly every 10 minutes throughout the day, I've maybe once been stood, waiting for a bus for less than 20 minutes (more down to good timing than anything else).

I realise this, and that's why I post videos of bad driving, to educate people on what they've done wrong.

My anger issues very frequently get vented on TF2 or GTA: San Andreas. If I were to go running, that would mean a purchase of control pants and a sports bra to stop jiggle... Which isn't happening :p

It's not frustrations, it's annoyance when people gamble with other people's lives. Fair enough if they want to go around a park and wrap themselves around a tree, it's when they endanger others that I get shirty.

Did I ever say I was an elite cyclist and had nothing to improve on? Go read the thread again and you'll see I admit when I've cocked up.

Got sick of people passing me so closely, realising one of these days I'm going down, and when I do I doubt the driver will admit responsibility.
    Decided to purchase a bike cam as an insurance policy
    joined a cycling forum and saw I wasn't the only one that was getting grief for being on a bike
    Came on Bit-tech to ask folks their opinions on bike cameras after I got grief for recording someone.
    Got shouted down, mocked and advice thrown at and then insulted some more.
    Justified myself on every occasion, but wasn't good enough for the community of B-T
    Because its the internet and someone is (in their opinion) wrong, Bit-tech members can't and won't let it go.

Sounds more like it :)

Last edited: 5 Nov 2011
  3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

This has to be a troll thread.

4. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Was riding home from work last night and some dick in a Punto shouted "Just get a car" at me. Thought for a split second about launching my water bottle through his open window, but in the end I left him for dead in traffic.

Oh no a cyclist has held me up for 5 seconds at some lights! Best insult him for delaying me slightly. *gets stuck in traffic for the next 30 minutes*

In other news, this thread still sucks.

5. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I've seen you make some very close passes in some of your videos. If you're comfortable riding your bike in a two-foot gap between a bus and a (red) traffic light, I don't understand why you bitch at people giving you six feet or more when they are passing you.

As for a road users mounting the pavement to get around obstacles, cyclists do this all the time. As yet I haven't seen you do that on one of your videos but I guess you'd edit that bit out. I still wonder why you didn't edit out the red light though.

6. bigsharn

"To wait in traffic like a lemon? No thanks" *ride off*

Because they're not giving me 6ft of room when passing. A close pass is one where I could touch their car/vehicle when they pass me (ie 2-3ft from my handlebars). A very close pass is one where if I'd come off for whatever reason I'd end up under their wheels or one that could easily have knocked me off if I hadn't moved.

I never said cyclits don't, I was making a point that the post could VERY easily be turned around and aimed at motorists as well. I don't cycle on the pavement, or in the pedestrianised areas in York. And I never edited out the red light because I'm too honest for that.

7. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Nope.

Rule #1 of the road; you give way and yield to anything larger than you are- a bicycle is the smallest thing on the road so you move out the way of motorbikes, cars, vans and buses etc. If you try to 'drive defensively' on a cycle then sooner or later you will be doing a human-pancake impression...

8. identikit

identikit Minimodder

:rolleyes:

Yeah, you're wrong.

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

As a driver I pay nothing to the up keep of the roads certainly not directly. Road Tax, MOT and insurance allow you to use the roads to to maintain them. The cost of maintaining the roads comes out of GENERAL TAXATION. http://ipayroadtax.com/

Also seriously, In Edinburgh we have a fantastic bus service but i'm still significantly quicker on the bike what ever the time of day. In reality cars should be banned from city centres, with the major cause of congestion removed the people on the bus might actually get where they want to go.

As to pavement cycling. I don't do it, I don't agree with any who does. But cars kill more people on the pavement than bikes do.

10. sp4nky

Stats please.

11. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I never knew that, I always assumed road tax went some way to upgrading the roads. In any case my point still stand that as a car user I have to pay to use my car on the road. As a cyclist I don't.
    I agree with the cars in cities for the most part, although I don't live in one.

Sharn, if I posted a video of every thing a car driver, cyclist, motorcyclist or trucker did that I thought was wrong I'd never get anything done. Seriously.

mvagusta likes this.
  12. bigsharn

There's no such thing as road tax... There hasn't been since 1937. The reason that as a motorist you pay to use the road is that your car has carbon emissions. A bicycle would come under the same legislation as electric vehicles, in that it has such a low level of emissions, it'd be exempt anyway.

What can I say? I guess I don't have a lot of time on my hands

13. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Everyone at seen many cyclists swerving in and around people on pavements, yes?
    I doubt anyone has ever seen a car do this, other than in a movie perhaps.
    Sure some cars may have unintentionally mounted the pavement and killed people in an accident, but the vast majority of car drivers don't drive along the pavement and just happened to kill someone whilst doing so. Sure there have been a few that did, such as people trying to escape cops, or some sort of insane and rare occurrence, but cyclists on footpaths cutting off pedestrians, often causing injury, that's common.

If you were honest, you wouldn't upload videos where you unfairly try to accuse other people of not sharing the road appropriately.

And if you were honest, you wouldn't post things like:

Ljs likes this.
  14. Ljs

Ljs Modder

^ Last comment x10

I think he is just trying to boost his youtube channel viewings, seeing as bit-tech is pretty well SEO'd.

The only possible reason I can think of.

15. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

As my car is over 10 years old it isn't emissions, and putting a different name on something doesn't change the fact I have to pay the tax to use road. You can call it a yellow banana monkey on a dog tax but pound still have to pay it. And when electric cars become mainstream they will find another name for the road tax, vehicle excise duty our whatever you decide it is called this year.

16. bigsharn

That's not what he said, he said "mounting pavements", which I'm sure we all see cars do on a daily basis, if nothing else, to park on the kerb.

And yet, more cyclists are injured on the roads, than any pedestrians are anywhere, at all.
    Source, page 7 (apologies, it's a pdf)

Notice how I put that in speech marks. I'd have used that as a response to any clever twunt that told me to just get a car (and in fact, I have before now.)

There's a small difference here, in that I'm a 100kg piece of squishy flesh, whereas cars are ~10x that size, and made of (much less squishy) metal.
    Your sense of perception is off by the way, I leave at least 3ft of room when passing stationary vehicles, so I'm not in the door zone, unless I'm trying to slot into moving traffic.

I wouldn't call a close pass, with accompanying video evidence, unfair.

And what's dishonest about that? I've justified myself so far, and the majority of people are just poo-pooing my responses.

So it couldn't possibly be to stop the Latest Purchases Thread cloggng up with a debate? :roll

Of course, you don't have to pay Vehicle Excise Duty if your car is more than 10 years old... Everyone knows that... Why do you think an older 1.8L car is more expensive to tax than a newer one?
    Emissions.

You have to pay the tax to run the vehicle, as you also have to pay fuel duty.

Correction, whatever they call it this year. It's been known as Vehicle Excise Duty since 1937 when it was introduced, now rather than being a tax on using the road, it's a tax on emissions. I'm sure they will come up with another name for it when if electric cars become mainstream.

17. Ljs

Ljs Modder

For a good reason. Seriously, at least try take and step back, understand what the majority are saying, and see it from a different point of view.

Its not because people like being horrible, I just think your perspective is a little skewed.

Can't believe I've been sucked back into this thread - its just a car crash tbh (oh no, he didn't!).

18. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

You've got one guy, (you), saying that you're right. You've got an entire forum saying that you're wrong. I do wonder who is right. :wallbash:

19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

No, as a cyclist I pay general taxation there for pay (on average) the same for the up keep of the road. As a driver I must also pay to ensure my vehicle is road worthy and insured against the 10's of thousands of pounds im capable of causing whilst using it.

20. sp4nky

If by "he" you mean me, I merely quoted what you said, i.e. "mounting pavements to avoid obstacles.

Have you even looked at the guidance on vehicle tax? First off, it's not about how old your car is - it's about when it was first registered. Normally this is the same thing but since you're a pedantic sod, I'll be the same. It could have been manufactured a long time ago and simply not registered or, as happens with old cars, the engine might have been replaced. Either way, the registration date may not befit the engine or the amount of emissions it produces.

1800cc is a strange choice of engine size. Cars registered before 1 March 2001 fall into two categories - those with engines above or below 1600cc. Note that it's not quite 10 years old, but after a given date.

Vehicles could be in one of a number of tax bands. For example, Chevrolet Lacetti 1.8 SX, tax band K, £260 per year. Compare this to the max cost for a vehicle registered before March 2001, of £215 per year. Oh look, the newer car is more expensive than any older one.