1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve to update Steam, big-time!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 20 Jun 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

Seems pretty cool to me. Very xfire-ish.

3. chrisuk

chrisuk What's a Dremel?

I'm probably wrong, but I would think Live for Windows (or whatever its called) factored pretty highly in there decisions for new features. Sounds pretty cool though, even though I don't use Steam (anymore, no money and HL-2 has been played too many times).

4. RedBuddies

RedBuddies What's a Dremel?

:hehe:

5. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

its about time, steam seems to be increasing in popularity, but the program has barley been updated at all, and it still suffers a lot of the flaws that people complain about so bitterly

i still prefer x-fire though :p

6. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

not another ****ing update. the last took forever because over half their servers were down. although it seems to me they are just adding a scheduler and TS to the base. Another reason im against updates is because one of them pretty much forced me to go get a new router just to play on servers. Dont forget to back up your friends list cause those will be "refreshed". :miffed:

7. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

So its gonna be like facebook?

8. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Seems more like Xbox Live then it does Facebook, probably a good thing in the long run even though updates can be annoying if the servers get crowded.

9. r0z|3o0n

r0z|3o0n What's a Dremel?

Yay. More broken Steam stuff that stops us playing our games for hours while the broken servers send us broken data to install into our already mostly broken installations. This on top of leaving a lot of existing broken stuff, well, broken.

Everybody's a winner with Steam!

10. Havok154

Havok154 What's a Dremel?

Fine then, steal my whole comment before I even get to say it.

Seriously, every minor update to steam or any of it's games always ends up with 30 other features being broken, assuming the games work at all anymore. If something like a better voice chat codec and a new radar in CSS can take servers down for hours, I hate to see what happens when they add all new functionality to their system. :wallbash:

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

My thoughts exactly.

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Maybe they could fix the shitty download speeds while they're at it.

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I've personally never had any problems with Steam except for one copy of HL2 which had it's serial key been used before. Took it back to the shop the next day, no problem.

For me it's always been fast and adequate though I want more movies like Zombie Movie on there and less crappy PopCap games.

14. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I have no problems with steam except some anoying things with "server is not right version" or something like that, that would prevent me from playing for a week. Until i found some forum on the net mentioning cleaning out some stuff from the steam dir.

I was rather hoping for some mayor engine updates, like making it dx10 ready or something game enhanching like that.

But no... More useless needles stuff is added.

The voice client i have never used with my friends because ventrilo works better and i can talk with them all the time and not only when you are "alive".

The friends window is only usefull for actualy see that a friend is online. Most of the chatting is done via msn for me and most users out there.

15. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

QFT, my 3-day trial of CS:Source turned into a 2.1 day trial after waiting for it to download :(.

Anyway, I still prefer xfire as it has a nicer interface for chatting (IMO of course) and it shows the status of non-Valve games.

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

2.1 days? You're lucky. It took me ages to download Red Orchestra when steam decided despite being able to use 60KB/s of my connection that it would use between 12-20 the entire time. We're paying for the servers, they really should be cable of maxxing out paltry 512kbit connections.

17. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Meh, my steam experiances have been fine, downloading wise, usually got about 1000kb/s (1mb/s) but thats only half of my 20mb connection so downloading games was never really an issue just stupid things like server favourites and history never working :/

Best "69" post evar :hehe:

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

at least they are doing something......

19. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

....Something which isn't making HL Ep 2....

20. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Maybe it's going to go the way of a lot of other episodic content and get cancelled?

Tags: Add Tags