1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards VGA drivers failure. Stucked at flickering screen during reboot. Help needed!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by quizz_kid, 11 Oct 2013.

1. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Hi Guys.

I bought myself a low profile board from GIGABYTE, the GA-B75TN.

First of all, I can't use my i5 Ivy 3550k(which IS listed in the comp list) on the B75TN board, it just won't boot at all. Well, I had a i5 2500k laying around, and that works. But now I can't seem to install video driver properly for this board. Everytime I do, I get stucked at a very strange flickering welcome screen during reboot. I've tried both 32 and 64 versions of Windows 7, same issue. I reboot into safe mode, uninstall the video drivers, and it boots like normal again. And everything else seem to work, all the other drivers install without issues. What's the issue here? Why doesn't video work?

Specs:

MB: GA-B75TN
    CPU: i5 2500k 3.3GHz
    RAM: 2x4GB 1066MHz
    SSD: Crucial mSATA 64GB M4
    PSU: 150w

Help appreciated!

//Quizz

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

What state is the BIOS in? Recently updated? If not, that would be my first port of call (which may sort the 3550k issue, too)

3. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

BIOS is not updated. Tried updating yesterday, but the update file wouldn't install on win 7 64. Should I try installing a 32 version then maybe?

Sidenote: I've never updated BIOS before, and from what I understand, it's a risky process, am I right?

Last edited: 11 Oct 2013
  4. jinq-sea

As a start, don't do it in Windows. I've not had a Gigabyte board for YEARS now but I'd imagine it'll read a BIOS update from a USB drive so I'd download it, unpack it and enter the UEFI and update it through there.

What does the Hitch Hiker's Guide User Guide for the mobo say about BIOS updates?

There are, of course, inherent risks with an update but as long as you follow the instructions, you'll be fine. ALWAYS ensure it's the right BIOS, and some people advocate only updating if you have a hardware problem (which you do).

LMK if you need more help.

5. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Gigabyte had some sort of windows application for updating bios from os, but I can try flash stick instead. So I just unpack the update file onto a stick and then open it from where? Sorry, bit of a n00b when it comes to USB boot

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'd echo jinq-sea's advice - use a USB stick to flash the BIOS, and avoid the Windows utility like the plague. Last time I updated the BIOS on a Gigabyte board it was just a case of copying the bios file onto the USB stick, pressing F8 (or whatever it is these days) whilst booting to access the BIOS updating screen, and then following the instructions and browsing to the correct file on the stick.

I'd also advise you to take a copy of the original BIOS before you start, just in case, and to make doubly sure that you select the right file when flashing.

7. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

The motherboard doesnt have Q-flash, so an update from usb is a no no. Guess I'll have to use that windows utility after all :(

8. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Ok, when I try to install the utility, I get this crash message "error number 0x80040707 Description: DLL function call crashed: CheckFK.SearchBIOSStr"

Seems like Im out of options for updating bios, how can that even be!???

9. jinq-sea

Is there no Gigabyte equivalent of ASUS' EZFlash? Odd. Lemme have a look later (just off out).

EDIT: Have a look in here: Manual clicky

EDIT^2: That manual isn't overly helpful, is it. I've not had a Gigabyte board for years so I fear I can't be as helpful as I like here. There MUST be a DOS utility though, surely?!

If I've got some time later, I'll have a look. Else, if someone with more knowledge on the subject can help, feel free! :)

Last edited: 13 Oct 2013
  10. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

There is a DOS utility yes, but I'm not very familiar with floppy discs =) Don't have a floppy drive and no access to win 98.

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

It's ok, you can boot DOS from USB these days :)

12. jinq-sea

Well - quick dos USB and you'll be away. I'll try and pop some instructions here for you tomorrow

EDIT: Follow this guide here.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2013
  13. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

I don't need floppys? :cooldude:

Ok, so I now have a USB with the BIOS flash files using win98boot.

In DOS prompt, typing DIR I get these 4 files(one EXE, one BAT, and two F2(?) files)

Which one do I execute, and how do I do that? I'm not used to work in DOS.

C:\>dir

Volume in drive C is USB20FD
    Volume serial number is 7C1A-6DEB
    Direcctory of C:\

AFU303 EXE
    B75TN F2
    B75TN_M8 F2
    FLASH BAT

14. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Looks like you need to run the batch file. Just type "flash" and hit the enter key

15. jinq-sea

Sorry - missed this thread! Follow Debs' sage advice - you should be laughing all the way to the BIOS update :)