1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Vista will support EAX after all

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 28 Nov 2006.

1. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

FFS! I know MS have been responsible for a lot in the past, but you can't pin this on them. We complain that they're constrained by the past and need to make a break. So they do, and we complained that they've changed everything. They can't win.

Yet Creative can make EAX work on X-Fi but not Audigy? Why? Is there that big a difference between the two? Of course not.

2. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

Gagh: Vista = Better Visuals with Worse Sound.

Am I willing to trade DX10 for my Audigy 2?

For games like COD2 and Brothers in Arms, imho, the awesome sound was the core of the experience. Get into the game enough and you forget about the graphics, but when an MG42 opens up and it sounds like your roof tiles are gonna fall out, well you can't ever ignore that.

My knowledge of dedicated sound hardware isn't too hot. I have heard before that creative cards aren't really "much" under the hood, and what they do is largely hype (compared to say, GPU's). Does that mean that maybe this isn't that big of a deal?

Aggies

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

THis is the same Creative that still hasn't released X-fi drivers for Linux. I dn't care about Vista functionaliy since I don't plan to get it, but their driver support sucks the big one.

4. willardjuice

willardjuice What's a Dremel?

Actually I heard it's going to work like WINE/Cedga works under Linux; there is no real "conversion" per say, but a simple translation (the is no "noticeable" performance decrease of programs running under WINE/Cedga because it doesn't take vast amounts of CPU to translate calls; I expect this to be even easier/faster just translating DirectSound3D->OpenAL calls).

In Custom PC's article it even says:

So I think X-Fi users won't even notice a difference between Vista and XP in the audio aspect. Perhaps I am wrong though...

Tags: Add Tags