1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News WannaCry malware downs systems worldwide

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 May 2017.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Sooo..

Has anyone looked at the exploits already dumped by TSB?

Theres linux stuff in there too. Mac OS isn't going to be far behind. Its a fallacy to suggest that any one OS is intrinsically more secure than another, or that security through obscurity is in any way a good thing.

The decision to cease the support contract is what made the NHS vulnerable to this, its precisely the fault of that decision that their vast XP network was un patched. I suspect replacing XP isn't financially viable, I'd wager that communication with their scanning equipment (xray, ct, mri) is involved. Replacing a pc is likely doable. Replacing an MRI machine, probably not as much.

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I would suspect the really clever/ugly/dark/dangerous stuff the NSA et al have come up with ignores Windows altogether. Attacking out of date Windows PCs is (relatively speaking) like shooting fish in a barrel.
    Nuclear Centrifuges don't run XP.
    If other things like that are in the wild I wouldn't get too comfortable just because one runs Linux.

Last edited: 18 May 2017
  3. liratheal

Basically, if the NSA's targets use it, there's likely to be an exploit for it somewhere in these toolsets.

If TSB aren't bullshitting, their next releases may cover mobile devices, current OS versions, and so on. Basically, batten down the hatches, it's probably going to get worse.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

North Korea seems an odd one as there's speculation TSB are North Korean and based on their use of the English language such speculation seems plausible.

5. liratheal

From what I've seen of their posts, I'm not sure the shitty grammar isn't deliberate. Even accidentally they should get more right than they do.