1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling a ryzen and 2070

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by DanH, 13 Aug 2020.

1. DanH

DanH What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone I am looking to go to custom watercooling and was looking for some advise. I have used the all in one coolers over the last few years but looking to try out a custom build I was thinking of going for a kit from scan.co.uk and add a gpu block. I am going over performance over looks to get the hang of things and also the cost of individual components is going to be too much over budget

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/liq...cpu-block-500lph-pump-reservoir-240mm-radiat?

Will this be a good starting kit I will buy a different cpu and gpu block

Will it be better than my 240 corsair aio?

Thanks for your help

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What CPU and case do you have?

3. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Just make sure all the blocks and rads are the same material as you can't mix copper and aluminium.

Smoked Brisket likes this.
  4. Smoked Brisket

Smoked Brisket What's a Dremel?

I dont want to disparage any UK companies, but this looks a bit cheap. Often you get what you pay for and that loop, to me, looks like it may even be worse than a name brand AIO. If you want to add your gpu you are going to need another 240 rad and fans at least. I really think you are just going to have a bad experience at that price point. You are looking at a custom loop kit that costs less than a quality AIO. I would look at these https://www.ekwb.com/liquid-cooling-kits/classic-kits/ or something like this https://www.performance-pcs.com/wat...-soft-tube-kit-for-intel-bpta-ipsgdio-si.html

Now you can always take the plunge and buy your own parts. Look at a kit and mix and match parts to fit a budget. I would never discourage anyone from custom loop building, I love it, but I just dont feel good about that kit.

iggy likes this.
  5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

While true, you could porbably get away with a 240. That why I asked what CPU and case they have. And also lets not get eletist, you can do watercooling ok on a bidget. Something like the below would be much better suited, remember to not link US stuff when they've shared a UK estore :)

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/alp...ooling-kit-inc-360mm-st30-rad-xpx-block-3x-12

6. Smoked Brisket

That kit is in the same price realm as what I linked. I am not being elitist. You know that the kit he linked is not better than his corsair aio. Are you recommending a 240 for gpu and cpu? My rule of thumb is a minimum of 120mm of radiator more than the cooled components. So for a gpu and cpu you would need a 360 rad at minimum. As far as US stores linked, I was not suggesting he buy from the US I was just giving an example of a starting kit that I would be ok with. Dont know any UK stores, I would love to see links to the goto UK pc enthusiast shops because I would love to see what they have.

By the way the one you linked is even better because it includes quick release so he can drain and maintain the loop. Not usually in a kit. It is still about $250.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2020
  7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Sorry, you don't have your location stated, so I'm guessing you're non UK? Scan, Overclockers, WatercoolingUK and Aquatuning are the sites for watercooling IMO :)

And I think you can do a 240, tbh we don't know what that kit is capable of, I'm actually a bit curious! Because if its vaguely ok its a bargain! You could get 2, dual pulp it, sell the second block and but a GPU block and still be quids in! My rule of thumb is 120mm per component then one spare for summer. Then on top of that I double the thickness for silence!

Smoked Brisket likes this.
  8. Smoked Brisket

My location is San Antonio, USA. He did say that he was going to get a gpu block, that is why I said 240 is not going to be enough. He did ask if the kit would outperform his corsair AIO, so he has got at least an H100, and we know that Corsair high static pressure fans are going to be better than what is in that kit. I looked at the specs they are not even naming the pump that comes with the kit. I am just trying to answer the questions as asked. I think if he commits to another hundred bucks he will be much happier:grin:

9. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

The pump's a DDC310. Listed in the overview, not the tech spec.

Edit: Ignore that, I was looking at the wrong one.

I'm curious, is there a noticeable benefit to dual pumps or would you run two for redundancy?

Last edited: 16 Aug 2020
  10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You'd probably get a bit of a bump but nothing massive

11. VictorianBloke

There's a couple of benchmarks on a 4690k about 25 min into here. Puts it on par with an alphacool 240 kit on the same hardware.

Smoked Brisket and Bloody_Pete like this.
  12. DanH

DanH What's a Dremel?

Sorry been very busy thanks I'll have a look

13. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I assume you're referring to rad thickness? Why is thicker quieter? Won't the fans need to work harder?

(P.S. I'm a beginner)

14. VictorianBloke

Heat dissipation for all coolers is related to surface area, hence the massive air coolers available. You can increase surface area by adding more rads, thicker rads, or rads with higher fin density (more cooling fins). So long as you have fans with decent static pressure a thicker rad will generally give better cooling at the same fan speed than a thinner one.

With a PA120.3 (double thickness triple rad) and a thin 120 with 4xNoctuas my fans are never audible, and GPU rarely goes over 45 degrees under full load. The Ryzen will hit 80 under certain torture tests but generally stays around 50-60 whilst gaming. All whilst silent.

hamza_tm and Bloody_Pete like this.