1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your first computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RotoSequence, 7 Feb 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

First 'puter ever was a Sinclair ZX81... soon had the wobbly 16k ram expansion too.

Then came the Texas TI99/4A, with speech synth, expansion box, parallel card, serial card, 32k ram expansion, and the best of all, a full height 5 1/4" single sided single density floppy drive :thumb: man that rocked for ages.

After that, an IBM 286 in a case so heavy it could withstand a direct hit from a nuke.

Out with 286 board, and in with 386DX.... still using 20Mb MFM hard drive !!

Then onward to 486 SX, then to a DX.

Next came a Pentium 100, and the jump to IDE hard drives - the first one I had was 40Mb.

Been through loads of other stuff since, like P133, P166, Celeron 300, 400, Athlon 750, Athlon 1.1Ghz, and now I have AMD 2400XP, Radeon 9500, 2x 80Gb SATA RAID 0, DVD-RW.

Quite a potted history, but it's kept me amused over the years.

I know this is quite sad, but I have recently collected loads of retro stuff :D BBCs, C64s, Atari STFM, Oric, Acorn Electron, Sinclair Speccys etc...

Darkside.

2. WormSnot

WormSnot What's a Dremel?

my first computer was actually the last series of G3 that came out before the G4 came into the market. and it made me happier than ever, did everything i wanted it for (school/graphic design) until the G5 caught my eye and I had to have one of those, but could only afford a stripped down version, but I'm just as happy with that as I was my G3 when I first got it.

and now I've been getting sick of console games, and the only games on the mac I like are warcraft, starcraft, diablo 2 and neverwinter. and I've played those all I can and would actually like to have no games on it at all, just use it for work.

so I bought my first pc, where the states can be seen in my sig, nothing special IMO and I gutted the HD and DVD drive from my G3 until I can afford a good sata 10Krpm drive. and so far nothing but problems, my gaming mchine crashes on all of the games but works fine for everything else... oh the irony. Im not totally discouraged just annoyed. until its fixed I guess its back to my parents 486 with 3.1 playing settlers of catan and champions of krynn.
    cheers :D

3. BaDDaSS

BaDDaSS What's a Dremel?

My first PC was in a desktop case, but not the regular fat ones, it was very thin (due to no CD-ROM drives back then :p).

It was a 486 running Windows 3.1, it was so stable :)

4. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Only 10 months old, guys...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.