1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases What would you like to see from BitFenix?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stulid, 16 Jan 2014.

1. stulid

stulid What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Looking for feedback on what end users would like to see more off?

• More case colours
    • Bigger cases with loads of room for water cooling.
    • More accessory options such as side panel windows etc.

Those are a few ideas you maybe interested in, if you can think of more then please post here.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Quite the opposite actually. Smaller ITX cases that use SFX power supplies - as per our poll

In fact, if you really want to know more, that entire thread is worth a read.

My perfect ITX Case would be:

Small enough to fit in a big bag (so about 15L)
    Have support for a 120mm AIO cooler
    Support full size GPUs
    Use an SFX PSU
    Have a window (less important but the P8Z77-I Deluxe looks so gorgeous).

Bitfenix have done a great job with the Prodigy, but for many of us, its just too big for ITX.

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

So 20 odd people on here who don't like larger cases is a good business idea?

I would be careful. TBH the Prodigy sold in bucket loads for a reason. Making tiny cases that appeal to a few is a bad idea.

I would like to see more cases from Bitfenix that embrace the modding ideas of the Prodigy myself.

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The BitFenix is popular, no doubt about it, but the picture is heavily skewed by the fact that the people who buy something smaller and more subtle don't post worklogs all over the interwebs.
    There's lots of people, who buy an Antec ISK310-150 for example and fit a low-profile HD7750 along an 45-65W CPU in it to built a HTPC, aswell as there are alot of people who buy an Chieftec BT02B and built a small workstation with it, etc.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2014
  5. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

The ghost with a window and soft touch.

Sort of a slightly more premium sleek minimalist looking case with WC capability. I like the new NZXT with the compartmentalization but don't like all the branding.

6. AlienwareAndy

Bitfenix always seem to make hardware more aimed at the enthusiast, though. You're talking about cases for small business workstations.

Maybe they should take a completely different direction? who knows. But moving away from the performance market is something I'm pretty sure they won't be interested with.

7. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

What about a slightly smaller version of the Phenom or Prodigy, preferably with the front I/O in the front instead of the side? I'm sure there are just as many people interested in something like that.

8. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

How about a case that has support for a 1080 rad in a 2nd compartment like the Corsair Air 540, with pass through connections already fitted.

Won't be that popular but hey it's a case I would look at.

Other than that never going to happen case, how about a normal size case with support for a 480x60mm rad in the roof.

9. AlienwareAndy

OK so I've mulled this over.

How about making a case that uses the same internal chassis (like the Prodigy, for example) but making the entire shell (front and top covers) removable, and, interchangeable.

IE - something that makes the case look completely different. So as an example you make an internal case with side panels, then, make a top and front that can be changed onto it to make it look completely different. So let's say you made the Prodigy with the look it has, then instead of making an entire new case just make the top and front for something else like the Colossus mini.

This way people can build their rig inside just once, but, get a completely different look by simply removing and then installing a panel kit.

My only gripe with The Prodigy was that all of the panels looked the same. So yeah, you can have a plain front but it still looked the same. Why not sell an internal shell, then sell the panels seperately so people can build their own unique case?

IE - take a note out of Caselab's book.

Or even better, start making metal modular cases like Caselabs, in powder coated steel, without the butt rape prices.

I absolutely drool when I see the Caselabs Mercury. There are a few flaws,though.

1. It should take MATX. All it needed was another inch in width and it would be perfect.
    2. It's too fuggin expensive.
    3. It has to be imported, so becomes even more fuggin expensive.

Bitfenix can have something like it (with window options, badge options, hell even front panel options) and top panels, and side panels... in Steel made for a fraction of the price.

To add. Make a god damn fully modular, fully customisable case akin to Caselabs stuff and you'll be laughing.

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Make a proper ITX case. Your Prodigy is a great case, but too big for some people, mainly due to the use of a full-size PSU, optical drive and the provision of too many drive bays.

I'd like to see:
    SFF PSU
    ITX board
    No optical drive, or a slot-loading slimline
    No HD mounts, 2/3 SSD mounts OR 1 HD bay and 2 SSD mounts
    Window

Basically, get with the program. Modern builds hardly use optical drives due to Steam/Origin, and SSDs are becoming cheaper and larger, meaning they can legitimately replace HDs.

Yes, there will be demand for those who are making pint sized servers, so keep making bigger cases, but go small too.

11. AlienwareAndy

Or combine the ideas?

Make a small ITX case that can take a MATX board. Offer it stock with small PSU, ready to go.

Also offer it without the PSU (putting a plate over that) and then make a pedestal that expands it to hold a full sized PSU and a rad or two? Then make a top pedestal option to take another rad or two.

I think that would be amazing. IE - make something Caselabs like that can be used for pretty much any small build.

12. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Small ITX case with pico PSU and an internal DAC (with muMetal shielding) that connects to an internal USB header (with RCA outputs at the back and jack 6.35mm at the front for the headset) ? Ok, I'm the only one who wants that :D

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Nope, would buy it too and slap an i7-4770 with a Thermalright AXP-200 into it ;)

I'm currently considering buying a Teac A-H01 and building a matching mITX-case. The size of the Teac-thingy is just too perfect for this :)

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Eh? The whole point of ITX is small...so making a case take mATX automatically makes it larger than it needs to be. mATX is well provided for in the case market, but ITX is still lacking.

Having an option expansion 'bay' for radiators is feasible however.

15. AlienwareAndy

I don't think you realise what I meant. Think about an ITX board yes, with the PSU at the bottom. A small tiny little PSU like the one in the Hadron..

OK, now remove that PSU and you have space for an MATX board. The power supply for that is located in the pedestal. So it would still be really, really small.

Edit. You'll have to forgive my autistic method of closing my eyes and being able to visualise how things look and work.

Edit again. So making a plate that goes in and does ITX and PSU or, MATX.

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Ok, so you mean it fits an ITX board when the PSU is inside the 'main' case, but if you take the PSU out and put it in an expansion box underneath, you can fit an mATX board?

17. AlienwareAndy

Here, like this. See the area in grey? that comes out and is switchable. You then have a pedestal that bolts on the bottom that can carry a full sized PSU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Go MATX with our add on pedestal !

18. AlienwareAndy

Quick idea thrown together, but these panels could be made plain, plain with mesh, plain with window, different design with mesh, hexagons with mesh...... And each would make the case look completely different. You could custom order any panel for any part of the case you want to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. stulid

stulid What's a Dremel?

Keep the ideas and thoughts coming guys it all gets passed up the chain of command.

20. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Long time we didn't have a pure design contest, not modding / building, a real conceptual design contest (sketchup, hand drawing, etc).

I say that, I say nothing ... * pssssst * :lol: