1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I made a past employer over £250,000 profit in a 6 week period. My bonus/appreciation? £50

Needless to say, I shortly thereafter left the company.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Yep, this job has a value of €375,000, 5 week deadline, I made it happen in 4.

Best part is, technically this actually the 2nd half of my annual bonus from last year that should have been paid at Christmas. This is also after getting a 1.5% pay rise, instead of the 3% that has been consistent the past 3 years.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Been waiting three weeks for a CD. It's now with Yodel. I have no tracking number so called them (I know I know).

"The number you have dialled has been changed to 03447550117. Please hang up and redial"

Then I realised it was the number I called. After four attempts I waited on the line and finally got put into the obligatory 30 minute queue.

On the day I was going out.

I went to the post office early and stood there for 40 mins as they'd misplaced a parcel.

An omen perhaps?

/Waits.

4. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Partner is extremely depressed, hates her job but is so reluctant to leave. Its simply a matter of not liking change, not being able to skive off ever so often and get away with it. She has a few fake friends there that very occasionally don't be complete bitches to her. She very rarely comes home having a good day... its just a bit of a pointless exercise for very crap money.

I know for a fact a part time retail job would do her the world of good confidence wise, she'd be able to develop skills she probably doesn't know she has but she's happier just crashing and burning. She'll just put up with stuff while everyone gets away with ****. Days off turns into full days she's working and I'll get the brunt of the **** for that because she's tired or rundown. Its like I have to deal with it all, I have to coach her through it all, I have to guide her through the many obstacles life throws at her because she's such a shell of herself she can't cope with her own life without help.

My stuff... meh no time for that. just bottle it up, let it fester, slowly rotting you from the inside out... thats the way to do it *sigh*

5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

In a kinda similar situation with my missus (though not as severe, by the sounds of it!) - She has become very dependant on me in the years we've been together, to the point that it's impossible for her to do something simple like go to a doctors appointment or take the baby to be weighed without me needing to book a morning/afternoon off and be there.

It's the same with work; She pretty much refused to work at all through her pregnancy because of anxiety and exhaustion (which to be fair, she was suffering with, probably why baby arrived so early), but now she is about to go back part time in a new role and already convinced herself that it's going to be the worst thing ever and she is going to be exhausted and not see either of us (but is happy to sign up to direct and choreograph another musical - which takes up 3 evenings a week, as well as every other Sunday, doesn't pay a penny and is basically all about interacting with new people...).

I have basically paid for everything over the past 17 months, putting myself in a pretty delicate situation financially. Even though I work full time, as soon as I get home i'm pretty much solely in charge of baby (which I love, seeing as I don't get to be with him during the day, obviously) - But I also do all the cooking, cleaning and washing (and I mean ALL) in between everything else, otherwise it just won't get done. The rare time she does attempt to cook, I have to get up every 5 minutes because she wan't reassurance that what she is doing in correct... and the mess afterwards is more work than just doing it myself.

I'm hoping this new job will eventually force her to be more independent and self-reliant, as well as more responsible with her finances... I mean, she doesn't know it yet, but I have already laid claim to a percentage of her monthly salary as recompense for the past year and a bit. Otherwise she'll fall into the same old trap of "Oh, I have monies for the first time in months, lets go spend!".

I don't want to moan, because I love her to bits, but I could well see a mental breakdown coming on my side if she wen't further in that direction rather than in the right one.

Last edited: 31 May 2019
  6. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Script was running perfectly. Now it won't work whatsoever on the benchmark machine. Works on my laptop but not the benchmark machine. Am bamboozled

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Doing devdoge a heckin bambooze.

I mis dosed on mood stabilisers today so I feel somewhat spaced out, later will be fun as I'll have to skip some so I can actually take some over the weekend/

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

**** hospitals.

The_Crapman and liratheal like this.
  9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'll never get over the alcohol foam hand sanitiser they use there. That stuff will haunt my nightmares when I'm dead, I'm sure of it.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Antibacterial cleaners make me ill... so having to surpress the urge to throw up the entire time i;m there just adds to the fun.

11. liratheal

That sounds wicked fun. Lucky devil.

12. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Make that 3... My wife is not herself at the moment, and is aware that something's up; but can't put her finger on it. Wasn't going to post, but felt I could with these 2 already here.
    I know that consulting Dr Google is a very dangerous path, but I now know that post menopausal depression is a thing.
    I looked at a couple of sites that I'd potentially trust, with decent credentials; and found myself ticking boxes in the symptom list.
    Walking on eggshells already, how to have that conversation with her?

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Pretty sure I'm going to need another hernia op. It's getting worse, don't really want to up the pain meds as i'm pretty vacant and depressed enough as it is, but really struggled this week. still waiting for my ultrasound appointment so a doctor can say 'ah yes it's still there/come back', which is what i've been telling them for 4 months since i had a cough. that'll be another 4-6 weeks off work, unpaid, which is going to put a big strain on the finances, particularly trying to save for the wedding next year. gotta somehow get through going to st petersberg next month, the plane journey will be pure hell i imagine, can barely stand more than half an hour in the car!

So ****ing bored. can't do anything that doesn't involve sitting on my arse. house is a mess, both cleaning wise and so much requiring repair jobs or complete renovation. washing machine packed in last weekend. been collecting bits and bobs for a mod, but now can't even lift the case because it's too heavy, pulled something last weekend just carrying a couple of loads of damp washing upstairs! so ****ed off with this ****. i am mr ****ing glass.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I have made good use of the phrase "there's no easy way to say this". It sets things up and creates an instant atmosphere of serious conversation.

Also to fill a horrific silent gap "would you like a cup of tea?".

Arboreal likes this.
  15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Not ruining, but damn annoying...

Yay: Buy a cheap OEM PC to use as a lightweight lounge gaming PC
    Yay: It already has Win10 licensed and activated
    FFS: Fails to POST with a GTX 750 Ti card plugged in
    Yay: Finally learn that this OEM board type doesn't like dedicated GPUs, but flashing latest BIOS might fix it
    FFS: BIOS flash fails and now the board is totally hosed
    Fast forward a few weeks to today...
    Yay: Finally get a replacement MiniITX Asus board, so start stripping down...
    FFS: The cooler on the old board uses a custom fecking backplate which can't be removed from the board
    Yay: Remember I have a spare SST-AR04 in a drawer
    FFS: I remember why I don't use the SST-AR04 when I realise that the heatpipes foul either components on the board or one of the DIMM slots
    Yay: Find a spare Intel OEM cooler which is compatible with S1155
    FFS: It's utterly filthy and so old that the copper contact surface has started to tarnish
    Yay: Manage to get the cooler cleaned up and the machine finally powers up with a dedicated GPU
    FFS: Learn that the H67 chipset doesn't support DDR3-1600, only DDR3-1333
    FFS: The existing Win10 installation won't boot and needs to be wiped
    Yay: Find a USB stick with the Win10 installer already flashed to it
    FFS: The existing digital license refuses to activate, presumably because it's a new board

This machine is proving to be more trouble than it's worth. At least it's bloody well working now...

16. liratheal

Four pissing hours of wedding pictures.

At least there was readily available beer..

17. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I feel depression seeping back in for irrational reasons, normal life stuff is happening but it's causing negative thoughts.

One rational thing, I was put forward for CBT support last November after a serious incident, got off my ass and chased up the other day to be told I have had a letter and the appoitment is next week, I already have a medical appointment and work don't know about this and I don't want them to so I need to get creative in reasons to be at 2 in same week.
    The really annoying part is the Mrs has dealt with this support option for work over the years and the "we sent a letter" is a common resopnse to lack of contact and the online reviews of the support is not great.
    I'm not optimistic I'm getting help I need.

Oh wow is me

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

:lol:

Nah, been out and about for a couple of weeks that involved a longer than usual conversation with a Russian passport official, his supervisor and google translate :hehe:

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Now I feel bad :sad:

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Do not feel bad, I feel bad I took such a pristine case off you to chop up! I'm thinking of trying to source another more suitable for killing and building an air-cooled sleeper in that.

adidan likes this.