1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

This mf heat. I just can't even.

Pete J and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

First thing I noticed when I woke up is that the fan was off. Odd, I'd woken up earlier in the night and the fan was on. Then I noticed the clock was off and my phone was on battery despite being plugged in. Realised there must be some kind of power cut, but we've never had one where it didn't recover within a minute or two. Double-check the circuit breakers and several of them have blown. Odd indeed, was there some kind of surge or something? Only one breaker wouldn't reset, one marked 'sockets'. Started wandering round looking for anything that had blown and spotted cat barf all over the top of the amp - right over the mains input. Disconnected the power cable from the mains and WHADDYA KNOW, the breaker resets!

I am beyond livid. This is the second piece of AV equipment this cat has ruined in just over a month:

I am hoping I can salvage this one. I stripped the top off this morning and cleaned out as much cat barf as I could, to do anything more than that I'm going to need to strip it right down to the bare boards and I don't have time for that this morning. I now need a T1A25 fuse to replace the internal fuse that blew - I mean, where the hell do you even buy individual fuses these days?!

The little bitch cat wasn't hurt at least, thank god we have good standards for mains earthing in this country.

Don't put too much on yourself, you're probably not going to come to terms with it straight away. I went through this a few years ago and while our experiences will differ, I do at least have some idea what you're facing right now. Feel free to message me if you need to chat.

3. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Bought a cheap 360 from Facebook, works great, got a few games with it but nothing really that interesting. I found some guy advertise a big bundle of 360 games for £15, “Great for a car boot” was his description, asked him about them. Instantly hostile... suspected loads of people hounding him about them so I backed off.

He ended up relisting them for more, still a good deal I asked him about them not realising it was the same bloke to which he was more forthcoming. We got chatting and I got him down to £20 (on the basis be started at £15 and moved to £25) He then started to offer me some collectors edition fallout, I hated the game so refused. He then said he wanted it to go all together so if I took the games I’d need to take that as well and it was only a little bit extra.

I was like “fine, but what do you want for them all then?” At which point be turns again along the lines of “Oh so now you want the game because you know it’s a special collectors edition? Funny how you said you didn’t like it and now you know it’s worth money you’re interested, You’ve shown your hand”

Wut? Claiming it was worth in excess of £80 and I was just trying to rip him off and get it cheap (note: I hadn’t even offered anything at this point)

I’m the like “look man, I just wanted to play a bit of COD, if you want more for the games then it probably makes sense to advertise them higher, accusing me of ripping you off despite me not even making an offer makes no sense, I’m offering you marginally under asking price for a bunch of games worth £1 50p each. I don’t like fallout but you’re telling me you refuse to sell the bundle without it.”

We go round the houses for a while, he back tracks and then apologises realising I just wanted some cheap games and not to take his precious game. I get to the point I just can’t be bothered anymore so let him know I’ve lost interest and I won’t be buying anything from him, he then desperately try’s to save the sale then offering me it all for £30, slowly reducing and then saying he’d sell without fallout for £15. Just ended up ghosting him (it was midnight)

He’s now messaging me asking when I’d like to collect... I think he’s an axe murderer.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hang in there dude.

2020 is being **** for everyone. But you are definitely having a rough run :sad: .

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Just looked at the weather for the next 4 days. ****ing hell I am done.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Sorry to hear mate, unfortunately a few of us have been where you are but fortunately that means we can understand so know you're not alone.

Nothing is set in stone but do make the most of your time. I know my dad just wanted us to carry on as normal (well as 'normal' as we all could) and it not all to be about his cancer.

Yeah it'll mess with your head, I felt like I was being carried along in a current for a while but that will pass.

I'm not saying ignore it but i am saying, if you can, don't let it swallow you up and become the sole focus of the time you have. Try and just spend time together and steal a few laughs.

Hang in there dude.

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Thanks all. I am doing what I can, just feels like everything is collapsing at the moment (having a particularly bad day, work isn't really helping and two critical pieces of work need to be complete this week, one the lead has gone on holiday (!) leaving me as the only person with enough knowledge to piece together a response and the second is a piece of work I have no knowledge of (as in never been through it before thus couldn't know the business requirements) and the process notes are basically non existent).

Trying to think positive though and will be updating my CV so I can look at moving on.

adidan, perplekks45 and Pete J like this.
  8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Staying positive is the single best thing you can do right now. :thumb:

xaser04 and adidan like this.
  9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

As said try and stay positive. There have been patches of my life where things have happened one after the other and I succumbed to anger. Which is like a vicious cycle, and is consuming in the worst way.

Just try not to leave yourself much time to think.

This weather is rotten. Last night I tried to sleep around 3am. Too hot. Went downstairs where it is much cooler, but could not get comfy. Tried the sofa and the floor. Eventually at 5:30 AM I pinched the fan from downstairs and surrounded myself with fans. I was still stupid hot but I did sleep. I am going back to the microwave, I mean, my flat on Weds. I must say I am not terribly excited about it.

xaser04 likes this.
  10. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Smashing through Diablo 3 on the switch is keeping me occupied alongside searching for more music to listen to on youtube and Spotify.

perplekks45, adidan and Vault-Tec like this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I cannot move in this house without sweat pouring out of me. It's absolutely ****ing ridiculous now.

12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

The bleedin' heat.
    Right that's it, the debit card is about to get a spanking

13. perplekks45

Get into Diablo 2, mate. It's a far superior game.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

One of my mates was complaining he left his air-con on last night and woke up freezing. I might go round his house and throw a brick at the heat pump. The git.

IanW and perplekks45 like this.
  15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

My little X220 had developed whistling death in recent months, so I stripped it down and fitted a shiny new X230 fan and decided to try a Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut pad instead of TIM, for the sake of experimentation.

Good news, the Carbonaut works great, it's delivering better idle and load temps than the previous TIM (Arctic Silver) did and at lower fan rpm, that's amazing.

Bad news, somehow I have broken every other system on the laptop. Wifi Card? Dead. Trackpad? Dead. Trackpoint and keyboard? Also dead. The Wifi I am not surprised by, I slammed the card back into the PCI slots like an angry chimpanzee for some reason, usually I'm better than that. The keyboard and trackpad however are a mystery, very careful removal, very careful re-installion, they worked perfectly for about a minute after booting and then... dead. Reset Bios to defaults, still dead. Removed and re-connected, still dead. At least it's running quietly... now that I've turned it off to go and have a thinkg about how best to un-dead the trackpad.

16. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Tad difficult to do that on the Switch in bed though... :)

Will have to check it out on PC though.

17. perplekks45

You have a point there. :)

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Born: week 39 1998
    Died: week 33 2020
    Cause of death: cat barf over the mains input

RIP Arcam Alpha 8R, you will be missed. Thank you for 22 years of service! (Not all of them with me though...)

[​IMG]

Cleaned it up as best I could on Monday and replaced the internal fuse today. Fuse just blows as soon as you turn it on. I can't see anything immediately obviously wrong, but there's certainly something not right.

Unfortunately it's simply not worth the time and effort to try and track down what's gone wrong and repair it. I think it's time to put it to rest.

Totally swiping that motorised volume pot though - it's an Alps pot...

[​IMG]

Might also swipe those Chon-Kee-Boi 1F caps too...

Pete J likes this.
  19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I don't suppose you could try a soak in some deionised water?

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

A crap night's sleep owing to a pretty awesome thunderstorm, and eventually waking up to find it just as hot and muggy (if not more so) than yesterday.

I'd hate to think how I'd cope in a jungle. More than likely wouldn't, to be honest.