1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Why, just why would you ID me!?

Discussion in 'General' started by mars-bar-man, 8 Sep 2010.

1. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

people obviously havent seen the new spate of 14 years with better beards than santa.

i say we should have i.d. cards, but their are so many paranoid people nowadays saying no to i.d. cards, because it impinges on their human rights/freedom.

i think the government has more on their plate than monitoring 60 million people habits.

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Oh, when the government decided to ban guns you guys bent over and took it, but adopting ID cards which are compulsory in most other countries is evil conspiracy?

3. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Because most people didnt own guns anyway, and of that only handguns were banned relatively recently & that ban affected an even smaller number of people. ID cards on the other hand affects everyone & would cost us money to get something no-one wants; most people have passports, driving licenses or someother form of ID, so yet another one isnt warrented & wouldnt stop terrorism or illegal immigration one little bit ( those being 2 of the main reasons for bringing in a national ID card scheme ).

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

+1

The government has a horrific track record at introducing large scale IT projects, which is basically what an ID system would be, and it ultimately serves no purpose. It wont cut benefit fraud, it wont stop terrorism and I do not trust the government to keep the information securely. ID cards are just a big expensive waste of time which is not needed, as are guns.

5. Lee @ Scan

Lee @ Scan Scan Computers

I get asked for ID for buying Cigs in Asda. I've also been asked to provide ID for alcohol sales and even gas to fill up my lighters.

I wouldn't be bothered but I'm nearly 32 years old and look old as my beard grows faster than anything. It's just that I'm quite short (Tom Cruise is 1 inch taller than me) so I reckon that goes against me.

I wouldn't be bothered but I've been clubbing all over the UK without any issues and then get asked at places like ASDA.

6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I'm in my late 20's and I frequently get ID in Tesco's and I often have a beard or plenty of stubble. Actually the older I get the more often I get asked for ID. Go figure.

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I haven't been ID'ed for anything since I went clubbing the first time at age 16 (entrance age was 21). Without Fake ID, that is (I had mates that knew the bouncers).
    But then - it's not nearly as bad here as it is over there...

8. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Its funny once i went into a shop with my 24 year old brother

he had just shaved (keeping the chin bit) and i had'nt so i had the chin bit a small goatee and a bit of stubble on the mustache im 18

We were carrying beers about to pay when i hear "can i see some id" i was'nt looking so i assumed it was me to look up at my brother passing his she did'nt even bother with me sometimes its funny what you get past as when you just let the old beard grow :)

the other day i got served in a pub no id and next to me was quite clearly a lady 30+ who got asked for ID! she was quite angry maybe she should have taken it as a compliment she said she was 38!

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

And you are free to sign up for one of dozen forms of ID scheme...

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i was going to sign up to the government sponsored id scheme until they cancelled it, as it would have allowed free travel (not free as in not paid for) within europe, without the need for a passport.

11. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Oh. Are you going to think that when the british troops start climbing in your windows, snatching your people up with their SA80 rifles that they do have, unlike civilians?

It boggles my mind that you think disarming the people doesn't infringe their freedom as much as giving them convenient proof of their identity.

Actually, here's a question: If someone doesn't drive or travel, meaning they don't have a license or passport, how do they prove who they are? Birth certificate?

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

thats exactly what you have to do, use your birth certificate, utility bill + credit/debit card.

not sure how many people actually carry their birth certificate + utility bill with them, unless they know for definate they will need them.

if feel i.d. cards would be useful, but you will always find someone who knows how to make illegal copies that could fool people.

[tongue in cheek] I think instead maybe we should implant everyone with an rfid chip[/tongue in cheek]

as far as gun law is concerned, i think it was wrong to ban gun ownership, because, it has only stopped normal people from owning guns, the criminals still own them, and always will

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Well they already chip animals. What's the next step? :worried:

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Chip politicians! :thumb:

DragunovHUN likes this.
  15. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

i lol'd
    +rep

16. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Well, I went back to Smiths (seeing as I now have my license), and I didn't even get ID'd this time. Oh, and guess what, it was the same woman..

As for the person who mentioned using my passport, it's out of date, and because such it's not a valid form of ID unfortunately.

17. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I lol'd.

This weekend my friend got turned away from buying an iphone because the driver's license he was using as ID wasn't registered to the same address as his debit card.

Eyes rolled; angry mutterings were made. I've never understood the absurd tickbox pedantry about ID formats.

18. Canon

Canon Reformed

I once got turned away because my passport (UK passport) had expired by about a month, maybe more. I bit my tongue and just went to a store in the same street. Although I felt like asking them : "Do you think in the past 30 days, someone has invented a device capable of time travel, I have found it, stuck it in reverse and rather than going back and seeing wonderful things, the dawn of mankind I have come to your shabby little shop to buy a pack of fags? "

I'm for ID cards myself.

19. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

QFT

also, never, ever, ever whatever you do try and buy any alcohol using those self servicing things, damn thats embarassing (also, is it just me, or do they seem to have more people manning those now than at actual tils)

20. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

+ an effin' million on this...