1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News WiGig Alliance offers new tech

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I'm willing to bet by the time this gets up and going, there will be wired LAN connections with 10Gbit bandwidth either out already or just round the corner.
    still, it is good to see faster wireless. I've way too many cables runnin in and out of rooms (not to mention the tentacle monster in my bedroom from 3 multiplugs)

3. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

That is my surname! :lol:

Anyway back on topic, it sounds like a good idea but security will be an issue if things are constantly broadcasting information. I think that people will still want wires for network infrastructure and for high quality media. However it will work for sharing stuff between friends or colleagues and the like, but as a solution for copper (and even fibreoptic) cables I doubt it.

Dave

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

10-Gig-E has been around for a while now - often used as the backbone connection for SANs.

5. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Doesn't the ability to penetrate solid objects drop off the higher in frequency you go?
    I can't even get 2.4GHz to go through a wall at my house, so 60GHz will have two hopes, one of them Being Bob.

6. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I think he forgot to add "at an affordable rate", but I agree: 100Gbit over copper will be out by 2011 no doubt about it. It's logically the next step, right? 1 > 10 > 100 > 1,000 > 10,000 > 100,000

7. lona

lona What's a Dremel?

Could maybe take a little bit longer.. It's still very much in development. And again, it'll take YEARS before it's anywhere near affordable.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Gigabit_Ethernet

Last edited: 7 May 2009
  8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ah well it certainly is very promising ^__^

9. Jerz

Jerz What's a Dremel?

100 G-E? And here I am still waiting for 1 G-E to become more available and cheap. But seriously, I can not image what anyone short of having there own SAN would need with 10 Gigabits of bandwith. A single harddrive is maybe capable of sustained 100MBs a second; which is 800 Mbs, that should be within 1 gigabit's throughput. SSDs would be capable of maxing out 1 gigabit but still, 100 megabytes/sec is a substantial amount of data. Uncompressed Blueray movie streaming will fit within 100Mbs ethernet.

10. darklord of chaos

darklord of chaos What's a Dremel?

is this going to be another hyped up waste of time wireless tech? ( draft-N) I have tried draft N wasted alot of money on it to find that a normal G class set up works faster and more reliably

sorry in the day of today can't we live without companies trying to rip the consumer off when money is kinda tight!:grr:

11. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

I'll stick with cat5 and HDMI/DVI thanks. Copper wiring 'just works', and wireless networking has always been that little bit less than perfect.

12. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

While it looks good, and is certainly interesting, I am still in favor of wires, and I will stick to them for the foreseeable future at least.

13. Jleosack

Jleosack What's a Dremel?

Good point. Not only that, but I imagine the range is probably short also. So, wires aren't going anywhere regardless of whether or not 10G-E becomes affordable or not.

Tags: Add Tags