1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Wikipedia announces search engine plans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 12 Mar 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

This is great, having it open source means we can fully customize our search priorities, no more annoying sites with little or no relevance to what we are searching for :D
    5% that is a reasonable target, not overstepping themselves. I myself use Google, and absolutely hate Yahoo, gave up using it years ago, too much irrelevant stuff and way too cluttered.

3. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

I'd just like to be able to search for a product and get information for it and not a billion online salers

4. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Same here, liek when looking for a review, or specs of a component, you get nothing but resellers. Nothing relevant.

5. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins What's a Dremel?

No matter how great or crappy it's going to be ... a little competition can never hurt ... and if it's opensource, the better :)

6. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

7. randosome

randosome Banned

QFT completly

Man i hate these NVA (no value added) websites

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

AOL search!!!!!!!!! :worried:

i think this is a good step.... open source for the win!!!!!

9. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

It's great that they're entering the search engine market, but I wouldn't dismiss Google's advantage out of hand that way:
    • Google has a bunch of extremely smart people who are actually willing to put in effort and build things. Wikipedia could hypothetically attract ten times the entire size of Google's staff, but how many of those people would have both the skills and dedication to do what Google's engineers do?
    • Google has an extremely large cash pool. Yes, they may proudly flaunt their servers built from commodity parts, but there are a lot of those servers. Wikia Inc. will need to sink a lot of money into this engine to be competitive.
    I don't mean to discourage anyone; an open source search engine is an excellent idea. I was just a little amused by Wales's comment. :)

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I always find that I get two "premium" ads at the top (like usual) then the manufacturers site or a review then a load of resellers.

It all depends on what has been indexed and what manufacturers allow to be reviewed.

Remember Google's page rank algorithm won't find a manufacturers site top of the pile unless it's been linked to.

11. randosome

randosome Banned

i was searching for laptop reviews last night, and atleast the first 10 links were all to these rubbish reseller / pointless review sites (you know the ones i mean)

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

randosome: put -"buy" at the end of your query (remember the negative sign)

Tags: Add Tags