1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Windows 7 Games Compatibility Testing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 22 Oct 2009.

1. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

CoD2 works in Windows 7 Home Premium, without the WinXP compatability mod.
    Unless you update this to 1.3 and try to play MODS.
    Looks like its all down to PB yet again.

2. jrr

jrr What's a Dremel?

The chart probably shouldn't link to Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition when you were clearly trying to play an old version that you admit lacks compatibility with XP

3. centy

centy DFI Nutter

Joe, It sounds like you just need to disable UAC to install your version of beyond good and evil. It's probably help installing a lot of others that are otherwise impossible.

4. centy

centy DFI Nutter

5. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Cough, Cough... you sure about that Joe!! (Can't get it to work on my dual Opteron 285's - lol)

Bob

6. Lobosolitario

Lobosolitario What's a Dremel?

Your problems with Thief sound like the same installer issue which has plagued certain versions of the game since Win2k. My version (Premier Collection) doesn't suffer from it, but others may.

Solution from the TTLG forums:

How do I install Thief on Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Vista?
    Go to Start, then Run, then type d:\setup.exe -lgntforce, where d:\ is your CDrom/DVDrom drive. (note: that's -lgntforce, lowercase "L". If you're unsure, copy and paste it from here.) This problem arises because Win2K, WinXP and Vista are based on the NT kernel, which had DirectX support which was flaky at best. Thief needs DirectX to run, so, when the installer sees the NT kernel, it assumes that the game isn't going to be able to run and quits the installation. The -lgntforce switch tells the installer to ignore the NT kernel and install anyway.

There is another thread on the forums dedicated specifically to Vista and W7 issues which might be of interest though.

7. gerryg

gerryg What's a Dremel?

Question - I've read a little about XP Mode in Win7 Pro, but chose to go with Win7 Home Premium (partly for budget reasons, for now). If I have an extra copy of WinXP or Win98, will using VirtualBox on Win7 help with game compatibility? What about if I have upgrade editions of Win98 and WinXP - am I legal to install those using VirtualBox on Win7, as long as they're not running on another PC? I also have non-game software that I know won't run on Vista and am hoping will work on Win7 w/XP in VirtualBox. Thx all for replies!

8. October

October Mariachi Style

Hey, a little late to the party but I have urgent questions :worried:

First off, no-one answered the all-important GTA conundrum! I'm on the verge of re-buying III and VC on Steam just to remove disk switchy based hassle, yes I could wait till I actually build my PC and in stall 7 and try my own retail versions but it would be way easier if one of you guys could do it for me ;)

Also, if Jedi Knight Outcast doesn't run (boo, never got round to playing it before) does Jedi Academy run? Very fond memories of playing a friends copy a few years back.

This was the part that annoyed me most in this article, I LOVE Chaos Theory and was looking forward to not being forced to take the all-out stealth route (stupid laptop...). Anywho, I've since noticed it's available on Steam and I'm thinking that maybe this would remove the Starforce issue...? Obviously you never got any further to test if the game would actually run once installed, anybody happen to own it on Steam and feel like re-installing?

Edit: Never mind about Chaos theory... My Google-fu has apparently improved since I first read this, Steam version DRM free :clap: The GTA stuff still stands though!!

Last edited: 11 Nov 2009
  9. hrtz_Junkie

hrtz_Junkie Controversial by Nature

Dont quit know what you did wrong but enemy teritory quake wars run's perfectly on boath my windows 7 computer's. In fact it was one off the moast stable title's in my colection??????

Also someone mentioned Bf2 and 2142? the will boath run perfectly but you need the 1.5 patch. (i know as I play them boath on win7)

10. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

will Quake 4 run?

11. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Will Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 work?

12. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

Most important games for me are:

Quake
    Unreal tournament 2004
    Theme hospital
    Serious Sam (with SSHD its not an issue now)

13. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

here is the easist fisx possible just dual boot
    or get profressional and use xp mode (unless that dosnt work i havent installede xp yet)

14. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

15. Crimsonthegreat

Crimsonthegreat What's a Dremel?

How do you get fallout to work on win7? It won't work on my computer.

16. sarmad_wahab

sarmad_wahab What's a Dremel?

Hello every one my pc specs are

core i3 540 3.07ghz
    hard disk 500gb
    ram 4gb
    ati hd 5770 iceqv turbo
    window 7 ultimate 32 bit
    cooler master 550 w PSU
    monitor NEC multisync 15 inch

My problem is that on my pc GTA IV hangs/freezes in driving and as well as in walking, while grid on ultra high settings runs smooth so any idea??? PLZ Help me :(

Tags: Add Tags