1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Won't run at 1920x1080?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mars-bar-man, 12 Jan 2011.

1. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Okay, so for xmas I asked (and got) a decent HD TV, it's an LG Flatron M2262D, it's 1080p and whatever. 2 HDMI's, a VGA, a DVI and a load of audio ports..

Well, I'm running it through my laptop atm, so it's a desktop like thing. But it won't display properly... It doesn't fill the screen at 1920, it has black bars round the side, 1680x1050 fits fine, it's just a bit stretched. Don't think it's a driver issue, seeing as Win7 has just installed and updated itself.

It's going through a DVI -> HDMI -> TV. Could it be the adapter that's making it misbehave? Going to get a DVI cable tomorrow, see if that helps..

Any other ideas though?

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

it's the driver.

HDTV's overscan.

You need to install either the ATi or Nvidia drivers and enable HDTV support then select 1080p 50Hz and play with the overscanning.
    If you've got intel gfx then you'll need powerstrip to sort it out.

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

EDIT: Read it wrong - please just delete this post.

Are you running it extended or as a copy of your desktop? Because if it is a copy it will only run at your laptops resolution. Try using it as extended.

If that does not work, are you sure that your laptops GPU is configured to run at fullHD?

4. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

It's a laptop GPU.. An ATI Radeon Mobility x1400.. It's pathetic tbh, but I don't want it to run HD movies or anything, got a PS3 for that. Just want a crisp screen.

I've looked on the ATI website before, and there's no driver available for this GPU anymore, so not really sure what to do.. Could Powerstrip work with this card?

5. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

Is there an overscan option in the graphics card drivers? If so, make sure it's at zero.

Edit: have you tried looking for drivers on the manufacturer's website? There are a few for the Mobility x1400 on dell's website, for example. It's usually best to get laptop drivers from the OEM anyway, the generic ones often don't work.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2011
  6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Make sure that your laptop screen is turned off. (image only outputted on your HDMI)

7. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Cheers, will have a look.

That's one of the first things I did.. only want one screen :p