1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Worldwide semiconductor sales fall by 30.4 percent

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

um, what about 2001 to 2002 (if I'm reading the barely legible time scale correctly) That looks like a much bigger drop, making the "steepest corrections in its history" a bit innacurate...

3. Laitainion

Laitainion What's a Dremel?

I think that's based on both the red and the blue falling, whereas in 01/02 it was only the red that dropped (although very steeply). Unfortuantely I can't quite make out the key, so I have no idea what the blue actually represents.

4. ¦Cold¦

¦Cold¦ What's a Dremel?

They both effectively represent the same thing - the blue line shows semiconductor revenues (in $, obviously) and the red shows percentage change year-on-year. So a change in one is linked to the other. And in case you couldn't see, the blue line also dropped substantially from 01-02.

It depends whether the claim is based on the revenue or percentage figures. Since the semiconductor market is now much larger than it was 8 years ago, it could have suffered a much larger drop in terms of $ revenue, but that would still be smaller than the shrink in 01-02 in terms of the percentage of the entire market.

And ChaosDefinesOrder, it says 'ONE of the steepest corrections in history', so it is still technically correct is one is being pedantic.

5. Xir

Xir Modder

Yep.

uhuh...noticed... (see "Quimonda") ;)

The current revenue drop is steeper than 2001-2002 (and margins are smaller now), and appearently deeper, percentage wise. :grr:

Also, the reduction in used cm² of silicon, or No. of dice is al lot worse

6. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

What a brilliant time to graduate with a degree in electronic systems engineering with a speciality in nano electric design :(

7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Damn, it's just like the internet soap bubble collapse end 1999 with 'world online' and all other y2k doom things going on.

Tags: Add Tags