1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox 360 celebrates fifth anniversary in UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Dec 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Sold to gamers, rather than sold by.

In all seriousness though, Happy Birthday Xbox, even if you're not my cup of tea!

3. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

It's worrying that people are still wanting to buy 5 year old tech. They really need to get a new console out but since the current ones are still selling well they're not going to.

It's funny that a new console would be the best thing to happen to PC gaming at the moment!

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Has it really been 5 years? How depressing that there has been nothing to replace it.

5. human_error

human_error What's a Dremel?

Happy birthday xbox360. The article has an error though - when it launched the SKUs were called core (no HDD) and Premium (which had the 20gb HDD and a chrome DVD drive cover). Also the picture is wrong.

As for another 5 years no chance - they'll see how well Kinect does for a year or so before deciding whether to integrate it as a required or have it as an optional feature of the new console.

CardJoe likes this.
  6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

My bad - proofed text and images seperately, forgot to refer back. Fixed and +rep.

7. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

The rumour I heard was that Sony and MS were hoping that the current gen of consoles were going to last 10 years, so another 5 to come.

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Half the point of the new peripherals was to try and drive a new stream of customers to cheap hardware, and reap the cash of software sales. I doubt MS or Sony are making any money on consoles yet. I predict a few years out of current consoles. I don't know what the next level of consoles will look like, I think the gaming landscape has changed far too much over the last few years with the introduction of casual/social/mobile/free to play/dlc for anyone to settle on a concrete console idea.

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

That's true - both were looking at a ten-year lifespan, but I don't think that's the same as ten years between consoles. Still, given the absence of even a sniff of anything new from Microsoft regarding the next gen Xbox I'd say we're at least two years from a new release.

The thing is, though, where do they go from here? Both consoles are reasonably good at chucking out HD resolutions, so apart from a graphics upgrade and perhaps a CPU upgrade, there's no over-riding need to upgrade. The latest gen consoles came out to make the most of the HD revolution, but there isn't a new revolution that really justifies a major console release yet - maybe just an iterative upgrade. Perhaps an Xbox 370 or a PS3.5?

10. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

No.

11. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I wonder how many people still own a fully working launch day console, I've been through 4 since launch.

12. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I am always shocked when I hear people talking about how many 360's they've gone through.
    Were they all free replacements or did you have to pay full price for each?

13. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

My launch consoles still in use and working fine. I did buy a Elite when it came out as I wanted to use the HDMI port. The elite see's 70%+ of the load as the originals in the bedroom as a media streamer, but there both still working fine.

14. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

next consoles i can see as 3d revolution for tv? anyone else think so too?

15. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

The first 2 were free replacements (they packed in within a few months of launch). MS tended to replace with refurbished console that broke within a few days of receiving them. The second replacement lasted years but died a few months back, now out of warranty, so I had to stump up for a new one.

16. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

My guess is they pay full price.

And another 5 years wouldn't be unheard of at all. Companies like MS have to market consoles like the 360 at a cheaper price in order to make them actually sell justifiable amounts. If you look at the initial cost of the 360 vs. the hardware costs at the time they're profit margins were minimal if anything, and it wouldn't be far fetched to guess that they may have even taken a loss at points. So justifying that kind of decision requires a longer lifespan of your product in order to produce profit. I read awhile back what the business plan behind the 360 was but I can't remember the numbers exactly, which I had saved the article...

17. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

That means PS3 is 4 years old, meaning it's still got, according to Sony, 6 years left in it. lol

18. veato

veato I should be working

I got my 20GB Premium model still. I've upgraded the HDD to 120GB though and it has has 2 RROD fixes (free)

19. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

... disgusting console, the cause of some many PC games issues over the years with publishers realising they can be slack.

Happy friggin' birthday crap-box 359.

20. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

The problem with the consoles is they're "good enough" until something that makes consolers go "omfg why doesn't my console have graphics that good!111" For example tessellation or native 3D for games and maybe physx which consoles are missing. Now however, games done rely on graphics to get them through, TF2 for example is popular despite it's lack of cutting edge graphics. WOW is just as popular if not more and that's stone-age.

*Waits for a PC only game what has amazing features - gonna be here a while are i...*

Tags: Add Tags