1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox One announced as next-gen Microsoft games console

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 21 May 2013.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

You clearly missed the part about the multiple OS architecture (probably switched by quick hibernation), where the Windows core is used only for the Dashboard & Media features, games will again run on the close-to-metal architecture.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

But your comparing today's PC with next gen consoles that wont be out until the end of the year, if history teaches us anything it is that while the new generation of consoles look good today in maybe two years PC's will again be held back by outdated consoles.

And saying "latency anchor DirectX" is utter rubbish unless you think consoles games don't go through a API as well ?

3. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Can't wait to play with one of these

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

ok a quick tale for you about MS and the new Skype.

a good friend works for a large computer security company and sent a Skype message with a link to another employee , internally. the other employee wasn't at his desk but the website logged 1 access.

concerned he then sent another message , this time with embedded login details - to the workstation next to him , whilst his manager was standing over them.

the message duly arrived , and moments later the website log showed the login details from the embedded link had been used. a quick trace showed the login came from Redmond. this is a UK based firm.

MS are already spying on you.

5. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Must be getting lost in translation , or possibly I wasn't clear?

But .. I was commenting only on the PC having to run through Windows API layers. I know about the Xbox one having a 'lower level' OS and that's welcome. Although, Microsoft certification is notoriously problematic ,unless developers build games to run as MS wants, least it was with the 360 where Microsoft's strict certification guidelines stated that all GPU calls need to be routed through DirectX..

With the PS3, Sony always embraced allowing devs to talk to the HW -writing their own command buffers and addressing the RSX chip directly through its LibGCM interface.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Last edited: 22 May 2013
  7. rollo

rollo Modder

Small reminder about the HW the average PC ( acording to steam user survey) user has a 560 ti or a 7850 or something similar that means both consoles are alot faster than them.

Compare that to people on this forum with tri sli 670s or duel sli 680s and 3 way cfx systems and you can see a gap. Pc gaming is heading towards multi screen high resolution gaming thats the future for pcs.

Most people I know just want to see games improve not the graphics that power them, Another Cod game not exactly top of my shopping list.

As for Direct x it needs to die already but it aint gonna happen, Most of the nvidia graphics demos are not written on direct x but are coded directly to the 680 it was run on or the titan in some cases so its getting alot more performance. AMD do a similar thing with there gpu releases.

The games that have been revealed for both consoles so far have a meh feel about them not so bad so good. Niether console yet has what id call a killer launch title plenty of time for that to change.

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

And in another five years there'll be another one.

Yawn.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If only, its taken them eight years to update the current gen.
    We where rocking Pentium 4 3.6 - 3.8 GHz and Athlon 64 3200+
    With GeForce 7800 GTX and Radeon X850 XT

Damn i feel old now :waah:

10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

As for the design, I really don't care. It's not as good as it could be but then it is not the worst thing in the world either. If I was thinking of buying an XBox One it certainly wouldn't stop because of the way it looks and I doubt anyone would choose not to buy the console because of it's looks alone.

As for the hardware, again I don't really care about the fine specifics. It is clear that these are far more powerful units (both the XBox One and the PS4) than their predecessors with architecture that should be a lot easier to code for. It was long argued that the PS3 was far more powerful than the XBox 360 and yet in no way has the PS3 left the 360 behind, let alone killed it off. Remember, the vast majority of games are cross platform so while one device is often more powerful than another, the developers build for the lowest powered device with some minor optimisations for the rest but nothing that fundamentally changes the game from one platform to the next.

So it comes down to what they do with it. As always there will be some titles for one console or the other that will affect the choice of some customers but on the whole it will come down to the overall package and the extra services that are provided. This is where I think Microsoft will have an advantage as they have a full ecosystem developing with Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and now the XBox One. It will be interesting in future to see how these all interact with each other as this is an angle that Sony just doesn't have and may well see them tie more heavily with the Android platform.

11. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

That isn't the only privacy concern.

Kinect's 'spy and charge' patent brings potential concerns about the 'always on' mandatory kinect and Redmond's plans for that. Some suggest simply sticking something over the lenses, but that may not be possible without the system putting up a warning on screen??

Xbox One looks more and more like a mismatched gaming DVR hybrid ..with quite a few privacy concerns.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

They say the UK is the most watched society in the world :rolleyes:, soon everyone else can join us and have CCTV in there homes :eeek:

13. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Have sex on the couch and the next day mysteriously get bombarded with adverts for condoms? :naughty:

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

or free home starter kits from huggies ;)

15. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

16. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I really like the design, minimalistic, nice for my HT setup, I respect all the mods out there in terms of really good designs, but for my setup, it will fit nicely, kinect 2.0 would look nicer if it where flatter I guess, to each his own taste.

17. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

looks like a 1980's video machine... makes sense since its for TV shows now.

18. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Xbox has DRR3 which is much slower, but it does have 32mb of embedded memory which can be used to offset some of that disadvantage. However that's not the real difference - it has the same cpu's but 50% less shaders for the gpu. Hence given the less powerful gpu needs less memory bandwidth the memory system is probably fine, but gpu will be noticeably slower.

However the xbox ships with kinect v2 - that means every xbox has it which means all games can take advantage of it. That was MS choice - save money with slower gpu to spend money on guaranteed kinect. What will the end user choose - slightly fancier looking explosions and more detailed models or kinect? Looking at what happened with the wii - all the non hardcore gamers will pick kinect every time.

The other differentiator is software, here it's likely xbox will have the edge - microsoft are much more experienced when it comes to software, and are likely to have something that just works a bit better. Xbox also has other cool things in the wings like illumiroom.

Hence while I expect sony will have some hardcore gamers loving their ps4's I bet the xbox will take the lions share of the market.

19. Spuzzell

Spuzzell What's a Dremel?

A 7850 is almost exactly similar to the GPU the PS4 has, and a lot faster than the XBone.

There's also a huge processing advantage to any PC owner with an i3 or up. The new consoles are just PCs with £120 graphics cards and CPUs designed for low power draw laptops.

A nice upgrade on the current gen of consoles, but they can't compete on power terms with a gaming PC from 2011.

20. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Not again.. PC HW's true potential is shielded by performance hobbling APIs. Programming 'to the metal' ,only possible on fixed HW, is as different as chalk and cheese. LibGCM if available on PS4 will mean the GPU 7870/7850 will pulverise its equivalent GPU sitting in a Windows PC in terms of performance. The DirectX API can add thousands of cycles of wait time for even simple draw operations. Then you've got the inherent physical latency due to the limits of PCIe:

From a Gamasutra interview here.

It's been said PCs are good for everything but gaming. These things haven't been an issue to date because all that's been coming across to PC are ports from the dated consoles.

Last edited: 22 May 2013
Tags: Add Tags