1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Xilence X1 gaming case

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Couldn't that have been noted from the outside?

Also with the testing, isn't there a trend now for 2GB+ RAM on systems? So testing with 2GB of RAM may be more pertinent although not make much of a difference.

Was the PCI slot at the top of the case usable? Or did the case design make it redundant?

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It is noticeable from the outside if you stop to consider it, but we're a little slow sometimes ;)

I just had a quick look and the top slot still looks useable though, not redundant at all I don't think.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

From the angle of the shots it looks like a card with caps may not make it in. Is there any chance you could test this please?

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've just looked and if the card is within ATX spec it'll fit. It's just like installing a PCI card into the bottom slot of any other ATX case, just this is now upside down.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

J'ai LOLlé ;)

7. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Lol. I'll take your word for it.

On a serious note, how hard can it be to design a case finish that doesn't scratch when you look at it and doesn't magnify fingerprints? I'm not on about this case specifically - loads of modern cases are shiny-but-delicate rather than practical. Must a more robust finish look rubbish?

Since I built my current PC last year (see sig), I've become a real snob regarding components. I don't always advocate the most expensive components, but I'm no longer inclined to use cheapo, sub-standard components. It's suddenly made my hobby very expensive.

And I think that one of the things I'm most picky about now are cases; apart from the usual suspects (Antec, Lan Li, Cooler Master, etc) there are few cases that I can stomach - which is ironic given the beige plastic crap that I've owned in bygone years.

As for the X1, it *does* look plastic-y and cheap, but compared to many other cases, IMHO is does have a reasonable clean look about it. I think too many cases try to hard to add facets and features. Not surprising comments from someone who owns a P180 perhaps.

8. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

It's a modified version of the sunbeam and sansun cases - so yes that top slot works just fine. If you've got the stones, you can drill out 20-something rivets to take off the left-top panel to manage wiring.

9. ChiperSoft

ChiperSoft What's a Dremel?

How is it that a bit-tech reviewer has never heard of Reversed-ATX? This isn't even a new concept, modders have been doing it for years.
    To me, that's the most attractive element of this case. Boxy design that'll be easy to mod, but already reversed so we don't have to spend time doing it ourselves.

10. Tulatin

Problem to reversing is that heatpipe'd motherboards are suddenly useless.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

I know of at least one manufacturer that claims its recent boards work fine upside down.

12. trig

trig god's little mistake

do you guys have rosewill cases over there?

13. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Excuse me but are you sure that the front panel is hydraulic? It certainly wouldn't take hydraulics to allow the panel to slide smoothly downwards. Now if the panel slides upwards that would require some sort of external force. But I think you will find that there is just a cog and rail of teeth that the door slides along that makes it slide smoothly at a constant speed.

14. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

hehe that power button must be the ugliest one I've ever seen.... reminds me of one of those child toys where you are supposed to push a large colored button to make an animal of the same color pop out from a box. I doubt that button will be left unmodded if someone decides to mod this case. And I'm also so tired of all these X's. It was cool when xbox 1 was released but nowadays it's just a proof of lac of fantasy.

/GNU

Last edited: 3 Jul 2007
  15. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

IMO reverse ATX is the only way to go (you get to see the pretty side of the vga/ physx/sound card. I have two Asus Motherboards, the Commando and P5N32-e sli and both have heat pipes and both work great. Even when they heatpiped mobos are right side up though, those heatpipes get really toasty.

16. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Joe didn't say "I've never seen this before" he said it's odd, which it is... It is not common for a manufacturer to invert a motherboard.

17. Tulatin

Problem is that heatpipes work in a very specific way: Unless wicked, heat travels upwards along the pipe, while cool liquid travels downward. Thus, on a non wicked ASUS mobo, you now have to trust the southbridge to dissipate all the spare wattage from down below it - mosfets and northbridge inclusive.

18. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

might this be the elusive reset button? http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/xilence_x1_case/b22.jpg
    might be a bit difficult to tell from the symbol since everyone uses something different

i'd consider getting that case if i really need a case to mod...that hd rack will have to go through (though it seems to be holding up the shroud?)

19. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I think you might be on to something Sebbo (I which case I'm a little disappointed by the reviewer)

However. Did anyone else see the power button and think it should be glowing? - maybe add a voice saying "I'm afraid I can't let you do that Dave"

20. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Thats correct about wicked heatpipes, but I know that Asus heatpipes have been wicked for 1½ years due to the increasing popularity of reverse ATX cases.

I'd imagine that all other manufacturers followed this trend as well. I would be very surprised to hear of any current motherbords incorporating unwicked heatpipes.

I could not agree more. I recently bought the Stacker 830 (black) and the quality of finish looked great, it was however not durable at all, finger prints were no biggie though. The case easily picked up scratches to the point that after 2 months it looked like it was 1½ years old and had been home to three different pc's. I then upgraded to a Silverstone TJ09 and could not be happier. The finish is second to none, it does not pick up finger prints too easily and is very durable.

As for the case reviewed, I hate it.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2007
Tags: Add Tags