1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Zyxel NSA310 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 25 Jan 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

You should review the HP Proliant Microserver as it makes these NAS boxes look silly and with the £100 cash back offer its not much more expensive than this thing.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

+1 to ^

A microserver from ebuyer would set you back £150 after the cashback - for only £30 more than this there's no competition at all...

4. kingosticks

kingosticks What's a Dremel?

£30 more and then extra work to get setup and maintain it. These products just work. I've been looking at both the Microserver and something like this NAS (but more likely the Synology DS111j) to replace my current hacked up Pogoplug solution. I think I'd personally prefer something that works out of the box this time round and supports the small realistic set of features I need.

But a comparative review would be good. Power and noise levels are what I'd be interested in. The figures for the former seem to vary over the user reviews I've seen.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The main reason to plump for something like this Zyxel thing compared to the Microserver: power usage. The Microserver will draw 80W-150W, the Zyxel thing closer to 5-10W. With the growing cost of energy, multiplied by the product lifespan... That's a not-inconsiderable cash saving.

6. KiNETiK

KiNETiK What's a Dremel?

Or if you can get hold of one an Intel SS4200-EHW for around £150. Comes with Celeron 1.6GHz and 512MB RAM but can take an E2200 and 2GB RAM for more juice. Great little box!

7. KiNETiK

KiNETiK What's a Dremel?

80-150Watts?! From reviews I have seen the MicroServer draws 10 watts when powerered down and rises to 35watts with the HDD supplied. Use a few green drives and its not going to be much more than that. certainly not 150watts lol!

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Really? I'm impressed. I always thought it was more.

9. KiNETiK

KiNETiK What's a Dremel?

Yea. Here is a video showing its power draw during boot process and standby. Not sure on the hdd config..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zbjGywEkTA

10. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

We've amended the price and value score following some confusion on our part - the diskless version we reviewed actually retails for £59, is available in 500GB and 2TB versions also, and supports up to 3TB hard disks.

11. kingosticks

kingosticks What's a Dremel?

The microserver has really impressive power consumption, I've also read it's simple to swap out the PSU for a picoPSU and further improve the numbers. I think I saw around 10W with this mod but not without it. Either way, power consumption isn't really a factor in this particular decision (but obviously would come into play if someone wanted to try an argue than using an old PC for NAS duties is any better).

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Typo: last page

13. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

It makes more sense at that price.

14. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

A much better NAS review guys, thanks for getting under the bonnet with regards the onboard media server et al. AFAIK people tend to buy NAS drives not for performance but for their ability to share and stream, hence my interest in the available services and features.

15. metalgearhathaway

metalgearhathaway What's a Dremel?

Bit-Tech, what would be interesting to know:

You make plenty of comparisons to the now out of date DS211j, obviously the DS212j with both DSM 3.2 and DSM 4.0 beta available, it would be nice to know which DSM on DS211j your test results are based on and maybe an updated review for the new model that has revised spec and operating system advancements.

Round-up demanded chaps! :)

Tags: Add Tags