1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Octavarium- Plexi installed! <6/29/05>

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Zekey, 26 Jun 2005.

1. Zekey

Zekey What's a Dremel?

Well Hello, and welcome to my first project log. Not only is this my first log and mod, but my first PC build. The rig is shaping up quite well, and I've been buy bits all along the way, the final rig will be something along the lines of:

Athlon 64 3200+ Venice.
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D (Although, I have read a few things saying that it is not a good starter board, and is picky about RAM, but I would like to have OC'ing ability if I want it. Anyone had expirences?)
    1gb of Corsair Valueselect RAM
    Leadtek 6800GT (Yay for copper!)
    Lite-on DL DVD+R drive
    80gb SATA HDD
    Antec Nepower 480
    So on and so forth.

As you can see, the Rig is quite geared for mild budget gaming, with a bit of a splurge in the graphics area.

But this topic is not all about the hardware, it's about the CASE!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yup, another Chieftec Dragon Mod. They're Nice cases, and loaded with potential.

So, what about the inspiration and plans? Well, I'm a big Fan of a Progressive Metal Band called Dream Theater, and upon their recent launch of an amazing album called "Octavarium" it hit me. I just had to do a case in trbute. So here's some art from the album.

Front:
    [​IMG]

These Walls:
    [​IMG]

Octavarium Blueprints:
    [​IMG]

The CD itself:
    [​IMG]

So. Yesterday I recieved the PSU in the mail. Today I got impatient and installed it, as well as taped up the side panel for the immenent wwindow cutting. The window will be the Octavarium As seen on the Actual CD and the Picture above it. I won't bore you all with the explanation of the symbolism.

PSU without and extra wires installed:
    [​IMG]

Aside from the window, I'll be doing the classic drivebay-door windw, with some lyrics from the title track etched and lit-up with some LEDS. Drive covers will be stealthing the drives, likely one with the "Majesty" symbol found on every DT CD.

Tomorrow after work, about 6pm EST I should have a few pictures of the door taped and the plan for the window atleast drawn on. And if I'm lucky I'll begin cutting either then or monday which might be a day off.

See you all next update.

~Zekey.

P.S. I apologize for the blurrier pictures, brand new camera, still getting a feel for it.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2005
  2. LordFeaR

LordFeaR What's a Dremel?

Looks promising! I love the case, and Dream Theater is a great band! :D

3. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

yeah, Mike Portnoy (drums) is the best!!!

anyway good luck with this mod ;)

4. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Nice plan, should make a great lookin window. By the way, how the heck is that a budget gaming rig? lol Looks pretty damn nice to me.

5. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

I say John Petrucci on Guitar :rock: Another DT fan here, good luck with the mod :)

6. Dekode

Dekode What's a Dremel?

This should be good :rock:

7. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Sweet. Another DT fan here too. I have converted 2 of my friends who used the go along with the rest of the school that said it sucked because it wasnt rap (worst music (can it even be called that?) ever) I cant wait till they come to Cleveland in August! Im watching this one closely

8. HellRazor

HellRazor What's a Dremel?

Well I'll be watching this. I have a similar case, only its an Antec, and its just beggin to be cut up. I've been a long time Lurker on the forums, finally got signed up! Can't wait to see what you can do with it!

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Gonna be watching this, like your idea of the etching!

10. Zekey

Zekey What's a Dremel?

Window Cut!

Well, today, around Noon, my Father ad I broke out the dremel and the drafting tools from when he was a more active architect:
    [​IMG]

Here we have it all laid out, and then we darkened the lines as well:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are a few pictures of the cutting phases:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There, that was finished, we still had some nasty urs on both side, so in came the dremel and its sanding bit! After all the minor sanding, we called it a day. I'll go back through with some sand paper and a file tomorrow and clean it up a bit more. Now for some closing shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Wow, that looks great, just like in the Album cover. keep it up :thumb:

12. Jhonbus

Jhonbus What's a Dremel?

I know it wouldn't be exactly the same as on the CD but what would it look like if you cut out the middle of the triangles and pentagon in the star, leaving say a 1/2" metal framework?

13. HellRazor

HellRazor What's a Dremel?

Perhaps some Tinted Acrylic on the inside of the star then? It would give the apperance of the album, yet give you a nice view inside the rig....just an idea, but I'm sure you have many of your own!

14. Lethal_Dosage

Lethal_Dosage What's a Dremel?

who said you have to do that :confused:

Do what i did:
    [​IMG]

Use glue :) more specific: super glue

15. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

I'm a huge DT fan! :rock:

Subscribed!

16. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

Interesting shape for the window!

Are you planning on actually including a neutons cradle? Mini one in the front or such??

17. Zekey

Zekey What's a Dremel?

Late in the afternoon today we decided to finish up the window. We first filed the edges, then went over them in emergy paper, ten we tried our best to touch up the edges with black paint.

After a quick run out to the local hardware store, we returned with some nice short pop-rivets, and the plexi mounting began. We also used a sealant/caulk to ensure it'd stay put.

Door pictures:
    [​IMG]
    My Old Man trapped inside the Octavarium.
    [​IMG]

I've got to clean off those damn fingerprints...

P.S. Thanks for the replies, guys! I really like the idea of incorporating the neuton's cradle somewhere. I still have alot of planning to do.

18. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Have you looked into possibly getting some different ram? From what I've read the best overclocking potential comes from ram such as the Corsair XMS using the TCCD chips from Samsung. Otherwise this mod looks kickbutt and I'm looking forward to seeing the result.