1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

custom alu/stainless steel tower. small update 7-02-05

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by khitsicker, 29 Jun 2005.

1. khitsicker

khitsicker What's a Dremel?

heh this is my first project log of any type so bare with me.

goal of the project is to create a custom alu tower with stainless sidepanels designed specifically for watercooling. this tower is gona be big. dimentions so far are 22" x 25" x 10" (l/h/d). i am focusing on lots of internal room for a large raditor and a iwaki md20rz pump with no pci slots lost due to the wc compnents. im doing this custom rather then modding an existing case because i cant find anything that really suits my needs. the case will have modular and removeable bays. a removable motherboard try. side panels on hinges. and a myriad of other features. this is my first time really workng with metal as well. ive built custom cases out of plexi before with varying results but this is the first time im trying for a case completly out of metal.

anyways on to the specs. i am migrating my current hardware which is installed and running on stock cooling in a temporary ghettotastic case.

amd fx53
    abit av8 3rdeye
    1gb corsair xms xl
    15krpm seagate aha 160 scsi hdd 36gb
    ati x800xt
    ultra xconnect 500w
    10x scsi dvd rom
    16x yamaha scsi cdr/rw

[​IMG]

told you it was ghetto.

anyways i have already started construction so far ive got the front panel and the drive bays and front supports hashed out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    front panel before cutting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    after cutting
    [​IMG]
    this ones kinda blurry but i messed up and cut too far ... oh well ill get to fixing it later ... i hope.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    heres some of the removeable hdd bay. i measured for a 3 drive bay but only drilled mounting holes for 2 drives. the 15k scsis produce alot of heat and the extra room will help them cool off. also there will be a 92mm fan mounted in the front of the bay to provide active cooling.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the front supports. with the cdrom bay attached. the holes in the bottom are 10/32. i was gona use 4 6/32 but i couldnt get the placement of the holes right ... i need a drill press badly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and heres some of how it all fits together so far.

ill prolly be updating again today but not with pics. anyways i do have high res originals if anyone wants to see a little bit more detail.

edit fixed some pics and my atrocious grammar and spelling.

cheers for now.

khit

Last edited: 2 Jul 2005
  2. venomz

venomz What's a Dremel?

that looks pritty good so far. what did you use to glue the medal bars togather? i have that same stuff and couldent find out how to put them togather. i tryed sodering them but dident work .

3. khitsicker

the glue im using is polyurethane glue. it takes about 4 hours to set and 24-72 hours to cure. the stuff is rediculous pretty much anything thats glued is never comming unglued

4. venomz

venomz What's a Dremel?

cool thanx does it dry clear?

5. khitsicker

unfortunetly not. dries a tanish color. but good thing is it can be sanded and painted. also the glue expands alot as it is curing so clamps are definatley a must.

6. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

Looks great so far, looking forward to more.

7. khitsicker

small update for yall ive been doing some masking work on the back panel

[​IMG]

the big red spot is the cutout for the mb tray and med one is for the main psu and the small one is reserved for an alt psu for peltiers. the fan grills represent where im gona put some exhaust fans.... and yes that is an 80mm tornado and yes its louder then any noise in the history of loudness.

i havent quite decided how i wana do the cooling and i migh want to add a water chiller.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

heres the pump and the waterblock. just to give you a scale of how big this pump is the bottom pannel is 21.75" x 10" and the pump takes up a good portion of it. i will also be building an alu housing for it i just havent setteled on the dimentions of it yet.

the waterblock is a storm g4 from cathar which is supposed to be the highest performing block available ... well not really available because i had to camp e-bay for 6 months to get it but you get the idea :p

anyways enjoy. ill prolly be cutting this out on monday between the baseball games and fireworks.

8. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I spy a vantec tornado! :S (runs away and hides)

9. PHILIP1193

PHILIP1193 a Self Confessed HP Server Lover!!

cathars g5 super seeds the g4 but still a very good block that performs better than most also looking good mate

Phil

10. khitsicker

that may be true but you cant get the g5s :p

11. porkashi

porkashi What's a Dremel?

you could get the g5's Cathar made up a batch of them the same with the g5's.
    Good to hear now for most oif you peeps is that g4's are now being made by swiftwech. G4's for the masses :p.

btw nice work so far :), soz for the highjack :duh:

Last edited: 4 Jul 2005
  12. venomz

venomz What's a Dremel?

hehe how m uch did that water block cost? on ebay usence you got it" eealry?" i think you said

13. khitsicker

i sniped this block off of e-bay for $147. but that was 2 months ago before swift tech bought the manufacturing rights. you can get the same block from them for $75 now.

ps i have been working on the case some and i was gona post an update this morning but comcast decided i had better things to do then mess around on the internet so maybe later tonight or tommarow ill have an update.

14. venomz

venomz What's a Dremel?

hehe im ganna use that block for m y next computer im plaing on building.....

15. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

wow this looks goooood

i like what your doing with the HDD's, starts to make me think wheter i should do something like that!

16. khitsicker

sorry for the lack of updates. i got snagged on some technical issues with the case supports. i have more or less resolved them and i should be posting an update soon.