1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Super blooo + watercooling |Big Update|Updated: 07-07-2005| -=Nice pics!!!=-

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bullfrog, 18 Jul 2004.

1. bullfrog

bullfrog What's a Dremel?

I have decided to paint my case with a light gray, almost white primer on the inside. It looks alot better than the "shiny" colour that its was, not very shiny just a little reflective. The shiny colour wasn't even, but quite grainy. This primer gray is alot more even and it looks like the case comes like that straight from the factory.

Here are a few before pics of my case after I removed the rivets just before I started painted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is my paint collection
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of where I paint, on the flats balcony
    [​IMG]

2. bullfrog

I had a little problem with paint taking too long to dry as it's winter here and its too cold to paint. Then dust particles and things would stick to and stuff up the job, so I had to find a way to get the paint to dry faster. So I took a heater and stacked up a few pieces of wood to elevate the painted item so it doesn't get too hot. Now it dries faster and isn't as grainy as when it dried out by itself. Here is my heater invention :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. bullfrog

Here are all the painted parts before I put the case back together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. bullfrog

Case assembled without the bay coverplate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Jul 2005
  5. bullfrog

Here is the assembled case with the bay coverplate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Till next time...with watercooling

Last edited: 3 Jul 2005
  6. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

May i ask why there is only one fan grill cut out. YOu might of answered it alrdy and if so just :wallbash:. Im just to lazy to look. Anyways the case just looks like its been primed doesnt look like paint. Is the paint white or whitish grey.

7. bullfrog

I only cut out one grill in the front because I am only putting one fan in the front. I can't put in 2 because I am turning around my hdd and another fan won't fit in.

It has only been primed as said above as I like the primer colour. The paint is a greyish white colour, its a very light grey, and its easy on the eyes.

8. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Nice looking case and a superb wiring job earlier on.

I've always wanted to do that to my case but it takes so long :sigh:

Looking forward to seeing the finished product :D

9. bullfrog

I put the rest of my case together today to see how it's going to look and saw that I am going to have a little problem. When I put the panel on and the pipes are connected to the radiator then there isn't enough space for the perspex to fit in. I'll have to squeeze it in there and it will alwasy push against the window. This is still with the smaller pipes, I am using thicker pipe so it won't fit in at all.
    [​IMG]

Here is the pipes I'm using: the thin is the one in the previous pic and the thicker one is the one I'll be using.
    [​IMG]

Here are a few of how the case looks with the top and the panel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

hows about moving the rad, so the barbs are on the other side? then it wont be near no plexi! but it might be harder to route the tubing! i dont know tbh

could always make a bit of acrylic so you can shift the rad over a few mm while the fan is still in the same place?!

11. bullfrog

It would be imposible to turn it around so that the barbs are on the other side, the barbs won't clear the mobo. I can't move the rad towards the mobo side, because of the bay area is in the way. But thnx for the idea.

I have worked out my own solution with a few copper pipes and some solder, the only problem is, I'll have to repaint the radiator.

I have made this loop, the big pipe that will fit over my rad and come out the other side, just ignore my little practice piece in the middle.
    [​IMG]

It will pass by next to my fan at the top and pop out on the other side next to my psu, so it will sit right next to the other barb. I will still cut the copper shorter and attack another barb.
    [​IMG]
    The red area in the pic bellow is where the old hole is will still be filled and painted.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As you can clearly see in the next pic, there is some heat damage to the paint and I'll have to redo it :(. I'll definately plan a bit better next time.
    [​IMG]
    In the next pic you can see that the copper pipe won't clear the psu, so I have to solder the pipe on so that its not completely straight(in direction of blue arrow) and it come out a bit closer to the front. The red line is where the rad sits.
    [​IMG]

12. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Damn, good work man! great idea!, couldnt you just have moved the barb slightly further into the rad so its not close to the window? or isnt that possible?

13. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

or why didnt you just move the barb so it comes out the same way as the other one? or doesnt that work at all?

14. bullfrog

The barb had nowhere to move to. if it came out the bootm like the other it would hit a cdrom if I have two and wouldn't quite fit in with 1 as the pipes would hit the cdrom. The barb was also in the rad as deep in as it would go, and was glued in. I see no point in using this epoxy glue with watercooling as that's the same stuff that didn't hold my pump to my old res.

I have pretty much redone all the parts in the watercooling loop over because of poor planning and not having the right tools.

(Problem)The waterblock leaked because I didn't have a tap to tap it for the barbs, they were glued in.
    (Solution)Bought tap and tapped holes for the barbs, also got a bigger o-ring, just incase.

(Problem)Pump and res solution didn't last.
    (Solution)Got a readymade waterproof container and just sealed on the lid.

(Problem)Custom radiator barb didn't fit.
    (Solution)Used solder and copper pipes and did a bit of plumbing, also used another threaded solution for the new barb.

So if you really want to do a delicate mod, like watercooling, rather go out and buy the right tools. It will save you alot of trouble in the end!!

15. bullfrog

update from yesturday

Well yesturday I had to find a way to attach the barbs to the copper pipe and I was looking for a way in which I could unscrew the barbs if I really needed to.

I cut off a little piece of pipe and flared it without the right tools. I used some pliers and a hammer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then put the little pipe in the connector that will connect to my barb. I used one part of a connector that they normally use in plumbing to seal the end of the pipe, some type of end cap with a end bit, a ring and a the bit I am using that screws over it. Here it is fitted.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then used a little elbow pipe to solder the little pipe to my main pipe.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a test fit of the pipe to see how it wil look and how the pipe will travel from the pump too this pipe with a short length of pipe, which makes for easier and neater pipe routing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the hole the pipe will fit into.
    [​IMG]
    and also my soldering space.
    [​IMG]

Here are a few pics with the pipe soldered in place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I neatly sealed the previous hole in the radiator with pratley's putty.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. bullfrog

Update today!

I got around to fully painting the radiator in its original blue colour today. So now it looks like new and the old hole has vanished. Fianally after a few days work, the problem has been solved :). Now for some pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Nice work on that radiator real pro job. IT wont restrict your flo any will it. I mean you 3 elbows. Then again if you have any decent pump it wont make to incredible of a difference. I like that side panel 2 might try doing something like that. Keep up the good work.

18. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

nicely done

19. bullfrog

It won't restrict my flow anyway as the copper pipes ID is 3mm larger than that of the rest of the system.