1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

War of the worlds

Discussion in 'General' started by Icecoldbagey, 1 Jul 2005.

1. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

just been to see this film and i couldnt see a threadso...anyway this fils is a muct see, it was awesome from the start with the action coming earlier than i expected, the ending was quite weak but if you havent seen it you can judge for yourself. This is one of the best films i have seen in a long time, easily the best of the year.

Ice

2. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

OMG it pwned. I used to live 1 block from that intersection that the lightning strikes, and seeing my favorite diner and my old apartment get destroyed pwned.

3. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

this movie kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I think they did very well by still holding true to the facts from the original books; not an easy task for movie makers to do. It rocked!

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

so the aliens are still stupid enough to invade a planet which has a poisonous atmosphere for them?

5. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

yeah that was gay fod...the ednign was weak i was ready to put it in my top 3 films, i also had an urge to play Half Life 2 when watching the film lol.

Ice

6. gargoyle

gargoyle What's a Dremel?

Err hoping this works as inviso-text

Not exactly, the aliens invaded a planet which is home to viruses that they weren't immune to. That was the whole point of the end narration and animation of the water droplet.

But in general it was a good film, lots of clichés avoided which is nice in a film of this genre. SFX were all top notch.

7. K

K 528491

Christ, what's your top 3, The Matrix trilogy?

This was a decent film, but it did have some utterly terrible bits in it. Leave it to Hollywood to turn a film about an alien invasion into a lesson in good parenting.

'I have an engine in my kitchen. I am an unfit parent.' Audience chuckles

'I have just eaten health food. Ewwww!' Audience laughs again.

'A jumbo jet has just destroyed this entire neighbourhood including most of the house we were in. Fortunately, our car is fine and there is a convenient thoroughfare to drive through in the mass debris.' Audience is relieved.

'Hello Dad, I made it too and didn't die in that huge blaze of fire you saw! Aren't you relieved? I am.' Audience is relieved again.

etc etc...

I enjoyed the general grimness and sense of impending doom that was kept ongoing nicely throughout the film, but the general storyline with father and kids was pretty annoying.

I too thought the ending was pretty weak, but only because I had hoped it would have been explained and realised a lot better. It was an ending I thought a lot of people would know coming (for obvious reasons) and I think that's how it was realised on-screen. Whereas, a lot of people were probably thinking the aliens would get destroyed by Arnie or something.

8. Potato

Potato What's a Dremel?

I watched it and kept thinking back to City 17.... anyways I liked it, but definately had a weak ending.

9. Noot

Noot What's a Dremel?

I still have to see this one. Luckily, I'll be prepared for the crappy ending. Thanks you guys. :)

10. gargoyle

If you've read the book, heard the "musical" or seen the earlier film you'll know it's not a bad ending...it's just the ending. From what I can remember they've been pretty faithful to the source.

11. dom_

dom_ --->

yeah was pretty cheesy, being a 12 didnt help. could have done with being lots more gory rather than hiding it :|

also as said, poor ending and some rather poor holywood bits in it.

12. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I've not seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to Tom Cruise doing the pan-pipes whilst Tim Robbins sings "The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million to one they saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaid".

13. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I too definitely immediately thought about City 17 also.
    (The tripods)

Yea, the ending really was a bit shallow and short.
    I would have been more satisfied if they expanded the ending with more aliens dying or falling from the sky or something.
    Although, I guess it was done decently enough.

As for the rest of the movie... my gf spent the entire time squeezing the blood out of my fingers. Her other hand was covering her shocked/horrified facial expressions.

All in all, VERY nicely done.

A few parts kind of puzzled me though.
    In the beginning, with the aliens coming out of the ground... how did that guy have a working camcorder? Unless he kept it in a metallic safe, it would have been affected too.

I would have liked to see the inside of the tripods. One thing though... the tripods' "heads " didn't seem to maintain the same scale.

Last edited: 3 Jul 2005
  14. iggy

iggy Minimodder

the tripods from city 17 were nicked from war of the worlds, not the other way around.

and the ending is pretty much as short as it is in the book etc, cruise was actually quite good in this as well, didnt expect that :eek:

15. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Of course the tripods were originally from the War of the Worlds, but visually, they make one immediately think of HL2.

In the first 10 minutes of the movie, the way Cruise's character was portrayed as being... I imagined Cruise saying "you're a jerk, a real jerk" to his character. But then the action began and I was just like :eeek:

16. gargoyle

Oh, couple of other things I noticed.

For a scummy redneck type he had a nice brand new nokia phone and a rather fetching Omega "De Ville" watch ($5000 or so I believe.) maybe that's why he couldn't afford milk :D

Still, can't beat a good bit of product placement.

17. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

liked the action etc, rubbish poor ending and yea half life lol tripods in there to nastly old things!

18. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Yeah there were a lot of inconsistencies in the film (he's meant to be this blue collar worker and yet has 2 x nice cars, expensive watch, nice Hifi, etc. Hey maybe he saved up. A lot.). But on the whole I thought it was a bit of fun, and happy that it was (fairly) true to the original.

OMG I just heard thunder :eeek:

19. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

He only had one car, and the kid nicked it.

The film was excellent, just how it should be, and very light on the usual USA bs endings :D

20. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I thought the ending shouldn't have been so sudden after the build up, but was still a very good film. Really enjoyed the basement scene, thought the tension was spot-on. I liked the way it was filmed too, kinda from a running away perspective to enhance the feeling of fear and panic.

Got the whole cinema to myself as no one else was there at 00:20 when it started!