1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Image display issue

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by maeterlinck, 2 Jul 2005.

1. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

Also if you are wanting to reduce page loading times and lower bandwidth then you should consider reducing page sizes in general. I picked a 2 post page, short posts and the page size is 39.3Kb, remove the spaces, tabs, and returns and it's down to 35.1Kb., That's without editing the actual code. So 90% of the original. Not massive per user, but serve that page 20,000 times and you save 80Mb, look at that across the site and there is a large saving to be made.

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Shrinking a 3MP image down to 640x480 is gonna save a helluva more than taking formatting outta the html :p

3. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Thanks for idea maeterlinck but the code is pretty well optimised as it is. I hope most would agree that the site is nippy as a result, aside from our chosen theme of lots of purty piccies everywhere. ie image intensity design, as opposed to mostly text.

When you can reduce a single photo from 500k to 50k just by resizing it so it fits the page properly, Project Loggers and others can hugely improve the loading speed of their threads, and also avoid potential problems with their hosts for exceeding their bandwidth limits for the month.

Not everyone uses 1600x1200. Not everyone has generous hosting. Some people don't have super-fast connections. So by resizing your images, you save a lot of people hassle.

And for anyone who wants to complain about the time it takes to resize images, I'll say it again: Easy Thumbnails http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/

It can resize entire folders in seconds. Problem solved.

4. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Not sure if its just me, but ive noticed that image resizing gets shrunk down to fit the window, like how IE does by default. Sofar i seem happy with the result but if i feel like it, im going to compain here. :)