1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a page I saw - Found it

Discussion in 'General' started by hitman012, 7 Jul 2005.

1. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I'm looking for a web page I saw a while ago. Someone modified a old computer PSU so it had little "posts" on top of it for the various voltages. They used it as a bench supply. I've tried Google but I can't seem to find it :duh:

Does anyone here know the page I'm talking about?

Edit: Found it purely by accident - http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/powersupply.htm

Last edited: 7 Jul 2005
  2. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

not got a clue about the site, but I'd imagine that to be relatively easy to do.

Assuming it wasn't being used in a PC at the same time, you'd need to join the green and any black wire on the mobo connector so that it works without a computer.

Then you'd take some of the power cables and terminate them with whatever you wanted.
    Yellow is 12 volt
    Red is 5 volt
    orange is 3.3 volt

you could remove all of the unnecessary wires to tidy it up, but I'd leave a molex or two on to test things.

hope that gives you an idea of what you'd need to do...

3. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

use two 10 ohm, 10 W (wirewound) resistors in parallel on the 5v rail to ground to keep the supply on, since there is a safety setup that shuts off the power when nothing is connected.

use a SPST switch on the green wire (power on, it turns on the supply when the green wire is grounded) to a black one (ground) as a power switch, if you want you can add a LED to the 5V line you put the resistors on, as a "power on" LED, i just use the supply's fan as an indicator.

i bought a project enclosure from radio shack, large enough to fit the supply in (it was a very small one, maybe 4 inches on the longest side) and taped copious amounts of graph paper to the box, with a sharpie marked every other point in a diagonal and drilled first with a small bit (to center) and then the largest i could go without making the side too weak.

the box i got came with a steel plate (it didn't fit well, but i think it was to go under the lid) i chopped it into an "H" shape with the resistors on the horizontal, and placed them in front of the side with the vents (the holes i just drilled) so the air flows over the resistors and cools them. be careful to properly mark your voltages, and check with a multimeter after you are done, one probe on ground and the other probing.

i can email you bitmaps if you want, just email me so i can get your address, i don't think the forum will let me attach stuff to emails

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to start on it pretty soon :dremel:

5. I'm_Not_A_Monster

yell for me if you need help, i finished mine a few weeks ago

6. Vito

Vito What's a Dremel?

It is a very good idea. Some fuses would be advisable.

7. I'm_Not_A_Monster

i would use a comparable circuit breaker if the PS doesn't already have one, or keeping it plugged into a surge protector (like i do)

you know what would be cool? hooking up a relay to yourself through a grounding strap, so if you start getting electrocuted (ie current going down the strap to ground) the relay would engage and shut down the supply, or maybe it could short out the -12 and +12 so the circuit breaker would trip, protecting you from a lot of power.