1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is adding a cathode a mod or a premod?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Whisp[TR], 26 Aug 2004.

?

Is adding a cathode a premod or a mod?

1. premod

121 vote(s)
    49.6%
  2. mod

123 vote(s)
    50.4%
  1. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

I voted pre-mod, but the question is ambiguous. Seriously.

Consider a CCFL you buy at the store. You didn't build it, and if you don't change it, no one's modified it yet, so it's just a part. If you tweak it to run brighter or have longer wires, you've modded it. If you buy it with those changes already made, it's been pre-modified.

By definition, anything you do yourself isn't a pre-mod, because it wasn't done when you bought it. The part itself may be pre-modified, but the case isn't, and adding a pre-modded part to a case doesn't make the case itself pre-modded. So adding a CCFL is a mod, but CCFLs themselves aren't mods or pre-mods.

2. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

i say the CCFL itself is pre-modded, as you dont have to do anything to it. But once installed into a PC, the PC becomes modded. Granted it doesent take a lot of work to install one, but it still makes it vastly different to 95% of people who have regular beige boxes.

The stuff we look at here everyday would naturally change our opinion of what "modded" actually means.

3. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

I voted that it was a parabnormal prerequisite to an aftereventationary upgradism of the lower egotistical spectrum.

Also, I'd be suprised to know of many modders who didn't start off with some dinky windowed case with cold cathodes.

4. das_mod

das_mod What's a Dremel?

...... English please :D

in other words youre adding a pre-modded object to a 100% stock object, as people call it "voiding warranty" and thus by, making it a MOD.

adding a Cold Cathode Light is like painting the case,
    the solvents, and other ingridients already come in the paint ... thereby making the paint a "pre-modded" object .... so if you guys consider painting a case a mod, might as well consider adding a light too .... :D

MOD-difying something ... means adding, cutting, chopping, painting .... once you "add" something to the case its been modded, be it fans, lights, paint, you name it .... but .... why you say ??? because it didnt come like that. :dremel:

5. Whisp[TR]

Whisp[TR] What's a Dremel?

Adding a cathode to a case does not void the warranty of anything!!!!!!!

Adding a cathode that is pre fabricated just by plugging it into a psu isnt a lot of work and really there is no effort in this. Now if you rewire the cathodes or something along this line then the cathode itself was modded.

Painting on the other hand you have to sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint and then multiple sanding and clear coats if done right thus you are changing the stock item.

Since when is adding two stock items together a mod when neither change the other(and i know hey it lights up the case but thats what the device does but it doesnt alter the physical item itself). Thats like saying adding a vid card to a mobo is a mod.

In my opinion I would have to disagree that adding a cathode is like painting a case and the two are like comparing apples to oranges.

Maybe back in the day it was considered a mod but now its so main line and the kits are premade and such makes me now say it is a premod since the guys back in the day didnt have the kits and built the inverters and cathodes themselves.

Anyways my 3 cents again lol

on a side note i am surprised this thread is still active hhaha since its been so long.

6. das_mod

das_mod What's a Dremel?

precisely, back in the days i remember it used to take me about 3 hours to install once single cathode, (altho neon was far more common) so just the fact that you had to open the case and add a light which took so long to put together of course was considered a mod. noadays they make so simple even with the "no-tools-needed" case designs, and those mod-kits sold at mainstream stores ......

so you're pretty much saying that opening up this "box" and adding a light does not void the warranty ... then by adding that light ur modding it ....

[​IMG]

cus the question wasnt for any specific type of computer ... of course home built computers have no warranty ....... :duh:

just the other day i painted one of my cases with black spray paint .... i didnt sand it or prep it or primed it ... just opened up the can and BAMMM !!! paint all over ... same with a light ... some people might take time and re-wire it ... some dont .... i think time is not really an aid when difining what a mod is ...

Last edited: 13 Jul 2005
  7. das_mod

das_mod What's a Dremel?

watch .... this is the perfect "mod" example ....
    people consider cutting a window to any case is a mod ...
    but what about buying the pre-cut window ...
    [​IMG]...

so whats the difference between someone who decided to cut the hole themselves and someone that bought one cover that came with the hole already ...

same with the light ... if i decide to build one which is identical to the one being sold at a store .... you would say my light is a mod but the one at the store is not regardless of them being identical :eyebrow:

Last edited: 13 Jul 2005
  8. Whisp[TR]

When has adding a premade light system ever voided a warranty. And what does voiding or not voiding a warranty have to do with anything Just because you are not or are voiding a warranty does not constitute it as a mod.

What are you talking about. Home built computers do so have warranties just that its each item that have specific warranties.

Painting a case black is a mod. I have done it myself. looked crappy though and i learned my lesson to not do it again since it scratches and fades and just looks like crap over time. thats why its good to prime and clear coat. And I never directly said time had to do with it however I do find it a factor. For example adding a cathode direct into a system takes all of maybe 30 minutes if you know what you are doing. Now the reason I think it can be a factor is because if you want to actually mod it by adding mesh, lengthening /shortening wires, adding pico fuses all of which I have done that takes more time. An othert example. Pre painted case takes no time on your half hence pre mod (had to throw that in lol) but painting the case takes more time since you have to do it your self (mod). So although some mods may not be time consuming like adding a bunch of stickers (example is bawlz case at modthebox) tijme does have a part in it. An other example is the modstream psu. It comes all sleeved and has custom coloured connectors and such. would you owning this consider it a mod. I say no since in my opinion it is a pre mod since it was done for you. The real mod is sleeving the psu yourself, adding your own right angle connectors or the regular ones that are coloured and lengthening and shortening the wires. That is a mod all which I have done multiple times.

9. Whisp[TR]

There is a big difference. Having a store bought panel with a specific design or whatever in the side of it is a premod. hence all those cases that come pre painted, have funky thing s on the front like the transformer cases and such are considered premods.

As for the one you cut yourself that is a mod because you altered the atocck version and please dont try and use my words against me on that one because adding a stock pre made cathode to a stock case is not a mod hence why it is my opinion is a pre mod. again i state it is just to mainstream which plays a part in this.

If you built one that is not a mod or a premod. that is a custom item since you made it from scratch. Now after you have made the first version and then later change it you are modifying it.

The one that even if the same that came from the store and put in would be considered pre mod and the one that you built yourself and put in is custom home built.

10. bobbo

bobbo What's a Dremel?

If it doesn't void the warranty, it's not a mod to me.

Premod is studd that comes already modded! You havent done any modifications to the case if you put something in it, only if you do something to it.

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

premod=already done
    mod=do it yourself
    adding a ccfl requires you to do it yourself. unless it's PREinstalled, in which case it's a PREmod.

so imo, it's not a premod, but it doesn't even qualify as a half-assed mod. maybe a quarter- to a third-assed.

12. Whisp[TR]

Only issue with that statement is that if you do a mod to lets say a case but are able to revert it back to original stock it doesnt void teh warranty.

Some people feel that changing the gpu cooler and adding heatsinks to the ram a mod. But you can still go back to stock and get your warranty.

13. Woezie

Woezie What's a Dremel?

Look it up in a dictionary! :p

14. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Spam! :thumb:

But seriously, I wish that stores like best buy didnt sell modding crap (an their stuff is crap) Someone who has a premod with a light thinks they are all cool and have accomplished something. Thats like someone who just paid a company to restore a classic car and goes to a car show and thinks hes just as good as the guy next to him that spent 10 years restoring his car. He may have the same end product but only because he has deep pockets. I hope someone understands where Im comming from.

15. zackbass

zackbass What's a Dremel?

I understand where you're coming from, but how does some "poser" modder's satisfaction with himself take away from anything you've accomplished?

The custom car analogy is a very good one except it doesn't really have to do with what the rich guy thinks, it has to do with when he expects respect from the the guys that did all the work themselves. That's when words like elitist start getting thrown around.

16. NoMercy

NoMercy What's a Dremel?

The language sounds odd mind, premod... that's the time you spend clearing your desk before you gut the PC right?

Prefabricated case modification....

17. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

No but Im sick of the moronic public thinking that their better than the real modders just because the bought a case with a window. And just to top it off, the last major lan I went to, a Pre-Mod with only one ccfl and a bunch of blue (go figure) fans won the top mod prize. I was furious for days. Of corse the judges were just random by-standers.

Last edited: 16 Jul 2005
  18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

meh, we need people like G-gnome and modsquad judging competitions, not n00bs. I agree... modding comps should be like 60% product, 40% effort (or like 40/30/30 if you can think of a third thing)

19. mediacoretex

mediacoretex What's a Dremel?

i would say premod

20. Astaroth125

Astaroth125 What's a Dremel?

The thing that jumps out at me in this conversation is that no one has mentioned what exactly they are modding.

If I buy a lighted fan or build one myself, isn't it modifying my case the exact same way? I may have modded the fan, but is adding that fan (modded or not) to a case a mod? To me, adding a fan into a case is NOT a modification - it's a requirement. However, adding those LED's to the fan on my own, to me, is modifying the fan.

Perhaps adding a CCFL is both premod and mod. You've got a (loosely defined) premodded item (CCFL), and you are changing you're case with it (mod). If you built an LED circuit, then you'd be modding both the lighting and the case.

The way a lot of these posts read to me is that people are judging things relating to case modding - yet it's not always the case you're modding. Changing the length of wires on a CCFL doesn't change whether it's a case mod or not, just whether it's a modded CCFL or not.

Hope this makes sense, it's a bit late here and I'm tired.

Astaroth