1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to put together a system in a hurry

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nick01, 16 Jul 2005.

1. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

A friend asked me to put together a system for him. He wants to take it around for LAN parties, but doesn't care much about looks. When not playing he runs some software packages that take lots of RAM and don't like VIA chips or AMD processors (don't ask me why, may be a myth, but I won't risk it). His description of minimum requirements is:

Top-notch graphics (gaming and rendering)
    1Gb RAM
    3GHz Pentium
    4 USB ports (planned: 1x mouse/keyboard, 1x external HDD for backups, 1x external DVD, 1x spare)
    1 Gigabit LAN port
    1 internal HDD (SATA or PATA)
    Windows XP compatible
    A built in wireless link would be nice too.

The whole thing should be packaged as small as possible. A Shuttle would be acceptable, but smaller would be better. Some kind of low profile desktop system that fits into an Aluminum briefcase might work too, if a full size ATX board is the only way to go.

... and of course everything must be available at reputable vendors in the US right now.

I'm not sure what to get and don't have time to research. Any recommendations?

Thanks

2. cc rass

cc rass What's a Dremel?

recommendation 1 AMD cpu. He's a gamer and he doesn't like AMD. Amd is better then intel when we're talking about games.

recommendation 2 tell us the budget. Don't think it's limitless so a few numbers would help a lot.

3. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

well for a start whats your/his budget? Secondly I think he's abit of a intel fanboy :waah: BTW: we can't really help you with out knowing what kind of budget your on :thumb:

...Frank

4. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

If you're pushed for time, a SFF is probably the easiest way to go. They're not only quick to build (5 mins from in the boxes to running is my record :)), but they take a lot of the work out of picking a motherboard, case and psu. Then it's just a matter of filling it with RAM (I recon you'll end up plumping for 2Gb if your mate wants lots of ram), and everything else. Most of which will depend on your budget.

5. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

(1) I had the same thought, but he will not take an AMD because he claims that his business SW package won't run on it. True or not true doesn't matter, he is my customer.

(2) I told him $1k as minimum and he didn't flinch. My estimate is that $2k is still feasible. It is tax deductible, so there is a 30% break.

I'll probably go with the Shuttle, but wanted to be sure that I didn't miss anything.

6. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

only problem with a shuttle is i don't think your gonna fit a 7800GTX in.....or an X850XT may be and X800XT PE but it all depends if some companies have come up with single slot cooling sloutions for the first two cards.....

7. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

You could always shoot for the new Pentium D processors; Those are the only Intel processors I can really stomach him getting without thinking hes wasting money. There is a new Pentium D SFF Shuttle, and Bigz just reviewed it. It looks to be pretty good, but the biggest card you'll be able to fit is a 6800 GT. However, that will definitely provide enough power for the time being.