1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

job seeking, no good

Discussion in 'General' started by ninjaskull, 17 Jul 2005.

1. ninjaskull

ninjaskull What's a Dremel?

I have been looking for work for about 2 months now and nothing has come up, I am only 16 so it is really hard to get work but I really need money for college.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Go to supermarkets, curries, comet etc and get till work. Or call centre stuff. You are only qualified to get minimum wage in the big wide world unfortunately :( Hand your CV in EVERYWHERE and somewhere may get back to you. Worked for me, got a saturday job in tescos at £3.18/hr then curries at 17-18 for £3.65/hr.

Doesnt get any easier though :( especially if you wanna go to other countries for work :'(

3. ninjaskull

I have handed in my CV to everywhere but it's no use

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Is your CV any good?

And they've got to legally keep you on record for 6months to a year.

5. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Post your CV and what kind of places have you been applying for?

6. ninjaskull

I have been applying for any work there is.

7. Springs

Springs Boing boing

have u tried angencys? they might be able to help you..

8. ninjaskull

no I am going to go in tommorrow to my local job agency

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

10. ninjaskull

do you think that people on here might see I need a job and offer me one, I doubt it extremely much but it would be good just to get a job

11. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Im after work also guys, anyone got some advice/guide on writing a CV.

12. dom_

dom_ --->

cv's these days should NOT be: personal, schools listed that you never got exams in, etc blah useless info a company doesnt want to see.
    They want to know what you can offer, what jobs you have done before, qualifications etc.
    Not "i like to watch films"

Last edited: 17 Jul 2005
  13. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

try keeping cv's short and sweet. a page or two of a4, typed, should suffice. nobody wants to read a huge essay, get right to the point, but make sure you include everything that is of interest to a prospective employer.

dunno why i'm posting advice though, i've been looking for weeks with no luck. guess i'm a bit fussy though, pubs or shops won't do anymore. for you 16 year old young uns i'd say shop work is bang on :thumb: god knows i did it long enough. another suggestion, try getting in as a waiter at a local restaurant/hotel?

as already mentioned, go round everywhere handing out copies of your cv. seriously, walk down the local highstreet and pop into every shop, pub, restaurant etc and ask if they're looking for staff, even if they're not, hand them a copy of your cv, places often end up calling a week or two later due to unforseen circumstances (worked for me when i was 15/16 ;))

14. Blue Raven

Blue Raven What's a Dremel?

Also, make sure to call back a day or two after you went in. This is what got me my current job. If you applying at fast food type place, make sure to ask for the manager and had your cv to them directly. They often get several applications per day and your goal is to make yours stand out from the rest.

15. ninjaskull

the only problem is they all ask "why do you want to work here?" in the interviews. what am I suppose to say "I need the money and you need someone"? that will show I don't want to work there I just want money.

16. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

"Because I feel that working for your company will give me the opportunity to experience meeting people, dealing with customers and working in a fast paced environment"

17. KelticFox

KelticFox What's a Dremel?

Well you could always do what I did . . . . Gimmick!

My last job (graphic designer for advertising firm) I put my CV inside a "New and improved" JAQ Bar!

I learnt how to make chocolate, and did the packaging, with my CV on the back under other information. To say I got the job was kinda an understatement.

Make yourself rememberable!!!!

In the past I'm also sent my CV out as a box that they had to assemble but when all the peices slotted together you could read it. I'm currently working on a new one (and it includes shockwave and a b*tch to program!!!*, and I KNOW it will get me pretty much any job I want (within computer games or security).

JUST STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD!!!!

18. ninjaskull

so if I made a cv in flash then I am more likely to get the job because it stand out more?

19. Blue Raven

Blue Raven What's a Dremel?

If you were trying to get a job with computers or graphic design, then it would. What type of job are you looking for?

20. KelticFox

KelticFox What's a Dremel?

Not tech. Tailor your CV to whom you are sending it to!

I work in Advertising, so there for if I cannot sell myself what can I sell???

If you want to work in construction engrave it onto a piece of metal, if you want to work in catering send a meal with the packing as your CV, etc etc

Make the employer remember you for the RIGHT reason! DO NOT send something that looks good but has absolutely nothing to do with what you are applying for. I would have sent the Chocolate to an engineering company would I???