1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Metaversa: LCD goodness (small update 17/07/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 11 Apr 2003.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's a piece of cake. Go on... you'll like it. :D

2. insania

insania What's a Dremel?

Awwww, that LCD SO made my day!

3. Razor_cut

Razor_cut What's a Dremel?

:thumb:

So nice to see you acting modder again, a litle atleast. It looks marvelous!!

Last edited: 18 Jul 2005
  4. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Same here, I had a layout that was almost perfect for my next mod but my harddrive diesd on me and I lost it :waah:

Great job nexxo, is that hooked up through svideo/rca or vga. My guess is svido/rca but I could be worng. Im working on the same deal on my lian li with a ps1 lcd but I gave up running it of vga because of c-sync issues. Its looks sweet.

5. Nexxo

It's on S-Video. It requires some tweaking of the pots with a tiny screwdriver to get the picture looking OK, but it works fine. The only thing is that the screen tries to (over)compensate for large light objects by darkening, but once you settle on a config you just tweak the contrast in the Graphic Card driver controls a bit. Then it works fine.

6. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Wow

No really, wow.

7. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

8. giorgioprimo

giorgioprimo What's a Dremel?

I'm really new to the use of LCD panel...you mean that with that software you can show on the LCD-display all the mbm (for example) hardware information without show them on your main screen? so you can display on the LCD not only your descktop?

Thanks

9. Nexxo

That's correct. Basically the 5" TFT LCD screen is simply a second PC monitor (just a really small one) --you hook it up to the S-Video port of your graphic card (or VGA if you use a PSOne LCD screen) and in Display Properties configure it to suit. Samurize recognises second monitors; all you have to do is make it display its stuff on the second monitor rather than on the main monitor.

Samurise works out of the box with both MBM and Speedfan, but also Winamp. Moreover you can download Samurize plug-ins to extend its functionality --you can display RSS feeds, weather reports, CD covers to the track you are playing in Winamp etc. It also taps into the computer's Performance Monitors and can pretty much display anything that goes on inside your PC: free memory, HDD activity, whatever.

The real kicker is that Samurize can display this stuff in any format you want: histograms, piecharts, analog dials, text, etc., it can perform mathematical operations on the data (with a plugin called Metermath.dll), you can combine the display with images, add shapes and backgrounds, it does alpha-blending, mouseover and mouse-click commands, whatever... and the whole thing comes with a click-and-drag WYSIWYG editor. And did I mention it is free? :D

10. giorgioprimo

You are the master..... :rock: :rock: :rock:

just one more questio: did you use the psone LCD for your mod? (following the guide on bit-tech) or some other lcd? and how did you cabled via S-video or VGA? ...I read all your 3d really quikly, if you already explained (also how did you cabled) please link me to the part wich I'm interested in...
    Thanks

11. Nexxo

Just read from post #1055 onwards again. :D

12. giorgioprimo

so you didn't use the psone lcd mod, wich LCD did you use?

13. Nexxo

Just a generic LCD that you might find in In-Car Entertainment installs and portable TVs and such. Parts Express used to sell them but now I doubt you can get anything smaller than 6.4". However a wide-screen format 7" screen will fit in two 5.25" bays. Else try eBay.

14. giorgioprimo

If I will use this from ebay just anmounting all the plastic chassys do you think that it wil work? (it is 5,6" little bit larger, but should be ok...).
    And How is the quality taking it from the S-video connectors? (in your opinion at your machine...)

15. Nexxo

I imagine so.

S-Video quality is not great but it will do. I keep mine at the lowest 640x480 resolution. The viewing angle could be wider...

I really would advise using a PSOne on VGA if you can manage the soldering and tweaking that would be involved (I had my screen before the PSOne screens came onto the second hand market otherwise I would have gone that route).

16. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

An lcd screen like that looks awesome in a mod. I will have to do that in one of my future mods. I love it, just like this whole mod.

17. giorgioprimo

for me is not a problem soldering.... so you think that use a psone lcd with the vga-cabling-mod give a better resoult?

18. crazybee

crazybee Black & Yellow

VGA bets S-video hands down no matter what you do. just that small VGA monitors are pretty expensive compared to S-video ones

19. Hasle

Hasle nohasslemods›

I couldn't agree more. This type of deal'o will deffinately see one of my future mods. Hopefully the next one up. That look flicks my switches. :p

20. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

All I have to say is wow, that is really nice... Alot of work and time well spent.