1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple To powerbook or not to powerbook?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Eg37se, 18 Jul 2005.

1. Eg37se

Eg37se What's a Dremel?

Alright, my apologies if there has been any posts related to this exact subject but here it goes: I'm going into college and have like 1800 to spend on a laptop. I currently have a PC, amd 3200+, 1gb, 230gb hdrive, blah blah blah, and wanna know if anyone would recommend a Powerbook. I was thinking maybe the 12 inch because it's not my only computer, portable, powerful and yet at the same time arousing to the eye (I should be in apple marketing.) Would anyone suggest this, I was just going to get a 60gb hdrive becasue id never need anymore and upgrade the ram to 768mb (to upgrade it any further is a rip off if you look) and the apple care plan incase i spill coolaid on it or something. Some other people have ven suggested just upgrading an iBook alot. Before you say I can't get all this for that price, my college get's a 200 dollar discount for all apples. So basically should I go with this or look elsewhere. Thanks to whoever is going to help me out.

2. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

get it with the stock memory and then hop over to newegg and pick up this memory and install it yourself.

1 gig of kingston laptop ddr for $106 isn't bad.

Enjoy your new apple. (Just because I hate trackpads, I would probably also buy some little tiny wireless optical mouse to go with it too, but that's up to you.)

3. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi,

Last summer I bought new hardware for my computer. (AMD64 3500+, 1 GIG ram, 360GB HD, 9800Pro, etc..) And around newyear I bought me a powerbook.

Powerbook
    - 12" Screen
    - 1,5 Ghz G4
    - 768mb Ram
    - Superdrive
    - 80GB HD
    - Bluetooth 2
    - Airport Express

I rarely use my AMD anymore. I haven't even unpacked it from moving to home from school for the summer. I use my powerbook for everything. For big "work" I will use an extra screen (extended desktop). I use a 17" LCD for that. But most of the time the 12" will do..

I love my powerbook to bits.

Good luck.

L

4. RegularChaos

RegularChaos What's a Dremel?

get the mac, if u want more power get the powerbook, but i have an iBook and it works excellent. the only difference between powerbook and iBook is really the proc, and the case. I have kicked my iBook into the corner of a solid oak door and it dented teh door and not my laptop :D . It is also supposed to get better wireless signal because it is in plastic instead of titanium but i have yet to test it.

if you dont like the track pad, get internal bluetooth and a blue tooth mouse. Bluetooth is just :rock: . The i would buy the laptop with one stick of 512, then figure it out later. i have 512 and it runs pretty darn good.

I think macs are the best laptops period... no complaints from a single laptop user that i know, plus osx is just awesome if you dont want to game.

5. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

I agree with Chaos and DreamTheEndless, get the ram elsewhere, apple rips you off for laptop ram, and its the same old DDR stuff in normal lapotps, so you can get it fairly cheaply.

And if your going into college then most def get a laptop, trust me you'll need it (im in the same boat as you are). Also the unix backend of OSX is nice because of all the "intresting" stuff you can do with it at college :D . Plus then you dont need to worry too much about being firewalled and junk with OSX compared ot XP.

6. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

The cost of a 1gb of ram for the powerbook isn't very much so its well worth sticking that in. OSX loves more ram.

My powerbook 12" is excellent I don't regret buying it for one second. Though be prepared to get addicted to apples hehe :D

7. Lovah

Thats just another Plus!

L

8. iLove macs, iDon't own one yet but iAm getting an iMac. You should defo get a powerbook, it's luuvely! ;)

9. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

For your bank manager ! :D

10. Eg37se

Eg37se What's a Dremel?

the only thing is when you put memory in yourself it completely voids the apple warranty

11. feckless2k1

feckless2k1 Minimodder

No it doesn't- apple even put instructions on how to do it both in the manual for my laptop and under the keyboard.

12. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

13. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Not true tbh. The Powerbooks run at a higher, widescreen res, have dual monitor support nativerly, DVI out, are more lightweight, backlit keyboards, trackpad movement detection (so swirling your fingers around scrolls up and down the page, etc), the keys feel better altogether, better graphics...

I have a 14" iBook atm, and I will be selling it and getting a Powerbook soon. I love MacOSX to bits, but the iBook just feels underpowered, and there are certainly things about it I don't like. The keys just feel...poor, compared to other laptops, even the Powerbook, the 1024*768 res gets on my nerves (I'm a snob for res :p). Even a large flash will lag the whole thing.

Having said that, I adore my iBook, but the Powerbook does have many things on it. I would recommend the Powerbook over the iBook any day, it's a good investment.

Plus the alu is just so much sexier than white plastic :hehe:

14. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

hehe you are soo right :D

15. Lovah

Big difference between powerbook and ibook. Even the 12" models.

- Powerbook is thinner, lighter
    - Better quality of the screen (even the 12" model)
    - Native dual monitor support (extended desktop)
    - Better keyboard/trackpad
    - Alu :drool:
    - DVI-out
    - comes with more stock
    - better graphics card

and the 15" and 17" Powerbook
    - Widescreen
    - Lighted keyboard

I think the 14" iBook is not worth it, since it runs the same resolution as a 12" model.
    If 12" isn't big enough for you, then save up for a 15" Powerbook.

Good luck
    L

16. pman

pman What's a Dremel?

If you can wait until next year, get it when the switch to x86 so you can have OS X and XP for those moments when Mr Softee is the only light at the end of a tunnel for some poor hopless app :D. (Or you want to do some gaming)

17. Lovah

Say what?
    You won't beable to run windows on a apple computer.
    Or os x on a PC.

L

18. You will be able to run Windoze on the next gen iNtel Macs, thier doing it right now! Steve jobs also said he wouldn't take any measures to stop anyone doing this! It's meant to be apple's secret big selling point.

EDIT: here - http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=94921 :)

Tags: