1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Picea - an all wooden case

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jakoslav, 15 Jul 2005.

1. BBurger

BBurger What's a Dremel?

Can you move the optical drives back a bit, so the faces are flush with the front of the case?

I think that would improve the look right away.

2. Jakoslav

Jakoslav What's a Dremel?

I just did some work on those DVD covers and I think it's gonna look good now. I just used my dremel to brush the back side and do an indent rim (if you know what I mean). I'll post some pictures later.

I also did the design on the back panel yesterday and I think it's OK. I droped the whole engraving thing cos I think it would't look good on a painted case and would mess things up, so I just did some vinyl "art". It's just a simple design of a pine tree and a small line underneath it. Pictures later.

Oh and I decieded to paint the front grill black as well as the DVD covers.

L8R...

PS: Thanks for the encouragement with positive posts. :clap:

3. Jakoslav

UPDATE:

Here are some pics of todays work:

The DVD panels from the back side - about 4 hours of dremel action.
    [​IMG]

The so called vinyl pine tree. :D
    [​IMG]

The updated fron panel with the new black DVD covers. (press and it will open :cooldude: )
    [​IMG]

A picture without flash. It was a really briht sunny day outside. (looks like a HDR effect to me)
    [​IMG]

The covers from above, no more offset. :clap:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like it. I like it very much now. I need to make the same pine tree but a bit smaller for the front and I still haven't gotten to making the legs for the case. At the moment I'm using wheels on the bottom of the case, but I don't like them very much - it feels so unstable.

Stay tunned for an update tomorrow.

4. LOTTARO

LOTTARO What's a Dremel?

The first WOODEn case i like.

Thanks to share the process

5. Jakoslav

Nice t ohear that. If you examine the pics a bit closer you can also see that it's an inverted case (the mobo is upside down and on the opposite side of the case). But you probably noticed that already. :hehe:

6. LOTTARO

LOTTARO What's a Dremel?

Sloveno pete

Yes this position for the mobo is very usefull, more if u think in leaks in the CPU block.

7. hcker2000

hcker2000 What's a Dremel?

Do not paint wooden cases that defeats the point of the wood.

8. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

I guess that depends on what the original point was?! Maybe wood was the easiest material to use??

9. Jakoslav

That was the whole point. That's why I used Class C wood wich isn't nice at all. But I still think that the raw wood state looks good and will be sanding this case next year.
    The thing is, that you can still see the wood grains on every surface of this case so it just looks like it's blue wood. You really should see it in real, because photos ruin most of the effect.

I finished the legs and will be mounting them in just a minute. Will post pictures later...

10. Jakoslav

OK, this is it, I can finally say that the project is done. I have to addmit that I'm happy with the outcome. I worked for 17 days straight for about 5 hours a day wich totals 85 hours of hard work.

Enough talking, here are the pictures:

I stuck pads on the bottom not to scratch the floor and YES I KNOW, I have to paint the rear leg again as I scratched it with my scisors (it was used as a template):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take care...
    Jakoslav

PS: I'll try something out of Aluminum next, but first I have to rest for a year. :D

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'm not sure 'bout that blue, but otherwise it looks nice. I have my own woodencase-project still lying under table :( It's "almost" finished but not quite.

12. Jakoslav

Trust me, that blue looks better for real. What counts is that I like it. :p