1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Multiple BitTorrent Rigs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by antoniohawk, 19 Jul 2005.

1. antoniohawk

antoniohawk What's a Dremel?

I want to setup multiple computers on my network to run BT and was wondering how I could do this while maintaining good download and upload speeds. I read that upload speed has a lot of pull on download speeds. I have a Belkin wireless router which is connected to my main computer and another computer with a wireless card installed upstairs. I have Zone Alarm installed on both computers and I was wondering how to setup the port forwarding to get these things to work.

2. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

well, for the port forwarding, just give each computer a different 10-port range, then just forward accordingly in your router.
    So, computer 1 can have ports xxx01 to xxx10, computer 2 uses xxx11 to xxx21, etc..

and get rid of zone alarm (i know, it hurts to say that...) but it has major issues with most BT clients, especially azerus (sp?)

3. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

azureus* ;D

4. antoniohawk

Thanks for the help. What firewall should I use then?

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Also, if you use azureus, make it so the total concurrent openings (tools->options, transfer, ...global connections) on ALL the rigs doesn't go above 800 or so, as to avoid flooding the router. On each rig, set about 200 per torrent, or the max openings.

And of course, make sure they all have different ports. I've had success setting 6881 for one, 6882 for the next, etc, but I'd do a 10-port range or so, seeing as you won't run out too easily.

Your router is a hardware firewall. That should be enough, but if not then just enable the windows one. I only use my router, and have never had a problem.

6. antoniohawk

Alright, thanks for the advice Firehed. I read that you have to set a static ip for your computer in order to use port forwarding, but anytime that I try to do that, it kills my internet connection. I've also set up a trigger port for 6881 - 6900 for my router, but I don't understand what to put in the field that says public port. This networking business is driving me loco.

7. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

You will put the same thing in public port as used by BT, and when you assaign a static ip yo need to set the gateway and dns servers to the ip of your router.

8. antoniohawk

Thanks Casey. I did as you said about the static ip and my internet still works, so that's a plus. :)

Regarding the public port, I'm still not sure what to put in there. Here's a screenshot of the router setup page.

[​IMG]

I used 6881-6900 so that I can use 10 ports per computer, like Firehed suggested, and just add more later if I run some more clients.

9. CaseyBlackburn

Thats port triggering not port fowarding if I recall correctly.

10. antoniohawk

11. Firehed

The static IP thing you want is under DHCP. That makes it so every time your comp connects to the router, it's assigned the same local IP. You're probably changing your entire router from dynamic or PPPoE to static IP (cable is almost always dynamic, dsl is PPPoE I believe).

So, in my router at least (802.11b Dlink something), choose a comp by it's MAC address in a dropdown box, make it so it's assigned whatever, and apply it. Do that for all the bittorrent rigs. Then use port forwarding to forward ports a to b (6881-6890, 6891-6900, etc) to each rig (source: WAN, IP *, ports A to B, destinaton: LAN, comp's local IP, ports.... or something similar to that, probably varies by router), using it's local IP you assigned in the DHCP setup.

Also, turn off uPNP in Azureus. I've found it messes things up more than it helps, especially with multiple computers.

hope it helps, if you can't get it let us know and I'm sure we can get it figured out :D

12. antoniohawk

Lost my post when Firefox died so here it is again in a shortened form. Transfer settings:

[​IMG]

Look right?

I set the static-ip of both of my computers through Windows because there was no option for it in the router setup utility. I'm getting around 17kb/s down speed, does that seem about right, or slow?

[edit]Forgot the most important part. Thanks a lot for everyone's help. :)[/edit]

13. CaseyBlackburn

17kbs is kinda slow, how many peers do you have and are the torrents showing up as green on the left?

14. antoniohawk

The torrent was showing up as green earlier, but now it's yellow. I have 7 peers connected and 28 in swarm.

15. CaseyBlackburn

Ok, I think everything is working.

16. Jhonbus

Jhonbus What's a Dremel?

If anyone has any questions about how to set up a static IP or forward ports for any given router, I really recommend www.portforward.com. Should tell you exactly how to set it up.

17. antoniohawk

Thanks Jhonbus. I tried that and killed my internet connection, but I guess I didn't really follow the directions all that thoroughly.

It seems that there may be some port problems with my second rig, although my first is working fine. I'm stuck with a yellow smilie being held by a hand and rates of like 6kb/s. 6 peers, 23 in swarm. It's never taken me 10 hours to download 200mb's of data before. When I run the NAT/Firewall Test, it fails on every port that I try. I think that this might have something to do with running a client on my main computer at the same time.

@Firehed
    You said that I should set a 10 port range for Azureus, but I can't find where to do that. It seems that Azureus only uses one port.

18. Firehed

No, 10 ports in the router. Only one in Azureus. It's not really necessary, but some people like to.

The speed is, of course, based on the age of the torrent and the upload of the peers and seeds. Something very new will go faster and older stuff goes slower, just because there are fewer seeds. So the 17kbps one may just be an older torrent. I had a 17GB torrent average about 3KB/s (*pain* - took about two months of uptime).

Your router doesn't have a DHCP or similar menu? What make/model is it? If no torrents EVER go green, then something's wrong (or your luck really sucks, but that's probably not it). On my D-link, there are 5 tabs at the top once I login to the router's settings. Under home, there's a DHCP button. There's 'dhcp server' at the top, enabled for 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.199. Just under that, there's a static dhcp area. So to add a static IP for a comp, I click "enabled", give it a name (for me, frozenfire, gatewaylaptop, etc, whatever you want), IP of whatever (104 for me, as I can only choose the last set), and then I find it in the dropdown (this shows clients under the dynamic/auto dhcp) and hit clone for the MAC, but if that's not an option, find it and type it in manually (should be a sticker on the mobo, may be in NIC proerpties too). Maybe your router doesn't have that setting, but if it does, that's what you want. You may wanna use a post-it note or something to write the MAC and local IP of the comp on the side of the box so you know what it is. Then, of course, forward the ports to that comp (for ex, I forward 6881 to (192.168.0.)104 for FrozenFire, 6889 to 125 for my laptop, etc)

In the settings, I'd have it, assuming there are two comps, to have EACH comp's global set to 400 or so. Or 600/200, or whatever. You want the total of all the comps around 800-1000... well it really depends on the router but around that area works well for me. Also, do the same for your upload. I have a 384k upload connection, which gives me 48Kbyte/sec up. I set mine around 40k. However for two comps, I'd do 20k and 20k or so (the remaining 8k for browsing and whatnot). Dunno your up speed, but it'll be given in kbits/sec and azur has kbyes/sec so divide by eight.

19. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

tbh make one box you're media server, it greatly simplifies things. Enless you have a NEED for each box to be running BT? I don't see why, using file sharing and remote dekstop its hardly difficult to have one box dedicated to it.

Myself if i was going to be having lots of computers running network intensive stuff (BT) i'd set up a box inbetween as a router, or buy a LEVEL3 router, that can prioritise stuff.
    if you have 3 comps, all going nuts on BT, simple routing ideas will mean you have poor speed surfing the net and such. If you can, get all the BT stuff on one box, if you can't see if you can make a box run something like m0n0wall, a PII-350 say will do this nicely, its easy to use software (free) and will let you have very good control over the network, and let you prioritise HTTP (web) browsing above BT stuff, so its always quick to surf the net.

20. antoniohawk

Thanks again Firehed. My router is a Belkin F5D6231-4 and I did find a section to set the range of DHCP ip addresses, but not much else.

TheAnimus, I think that you're probably right about that. The problem that I have is that I want a computer that can run all of the time and just download stuff. As it stands currently, my second rig is on a wireless b connection and just isn't as fast as the main rig which is a family computer and gets used a lot and which also gets turned off. I think that planning the perfect network is sometimes harder than actually implementing it.

Tags: