1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Supplies??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Comg33k, 18 Jul 2005.

1. Comg33k

Comg33k What's a Dremel?

I need to find a very very cheap power supply that will support an AMD-64 bit mobo+cpu. The one I have will not support the new 64-bit.

I searched around and the cheapest power supply that will work as someone stated on newegg is a Thermaltake 420-watt power supply for $36.99 including shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153006

Going cheaper would be very nice! Does anyone know where they can find a very cheap power supply that will support AMD 64-bit stuff?

2. djtitan

djtitan What's a Dremel?

so long as its ATX2.0 compatible, it will support basically anything you throw at it. One thing you may want to look at is getting a powersupply that supports both the 24pin and 20pin atx connector. the 20 pin is the classic interface, and 24 is the new interface, and will be used on the btx boards when they go mainstream. If you go a convertible 24, you powersupply will be much more useful in the longrun - and if you decide to upgrade. Also, the #1 thing to remember with powersupplies is the like anything, you pay for quality. You may be able to get a 500watt supply for $20, but its not going to give 500 watts of power, and it will crap out easy. Buy a good brand (enermax, antec, ultra...) and you will be much better off in the long run.

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Please dont get a cheap PSU. If you do, you'll be hunted down and shot.
    You wouldnt buy a Ferrari, and stick a 1cc petrol mower engine in it would you?
    Spend a reasonable amount of money on a supply, after all its the one thing keeping your pc alive. If it fails, theres a chance the rest of your kit goes with it

4. TMM

TMM Modder