1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting my laptop

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mattthegamer463, 19 Jul 2005.

?

What colour should I paint my laptop?

1. Yellow

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. Red

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  3. Blue

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  4. Silver or metallic grey

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  5. Black

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. other (specify in a post)

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I recently became sick of the boring cheesy silver and grey look of my laptop, and i was planning on painting it another colour and installing blue leds inside it in places like the vent slats and the speaker hole possibly. anyway, i dont know what colour to paint it, or what paint to use or anything. i need something that WILL NOT WEAR OFF EASILY. i cant stress that enough. heres some laptop pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

black, for stealth

3. mattthegamer463

i was actually thinking of buying one of those polygfx laptop skins and putting that on, that way i dont have to dismantle my laptop and potentially break it, and i can take it off and it will be gaurenteed to look good, whereas with painting myself i might screw up or not like the finished product.

4. HellRazor

HellRazor What's a Dremel?

I dunno....neon pink and green! That would be one eye catchin laptop...though it might not catch eyes because its awesome...lol

5. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Take it to a paintball field and let them do the paint for ya, just shoot some clear coat when they are done with it. :)

6. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

IIRC Krylon makes a spray paint that actualy bonds with plastic at a molecular level, so it doesn't just flake off. Your best best would be to talk the case apart and prep it for painting by making sure it is free of all dust and grease. Then give it a light, even scuff job and spray in a dust free area while they are hanging.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus What's a Dremel?

There are many things that you can do to change the looks of the exterior, but what ever you do, it will eventually show signs of wear and tear.

So maybe you want to consider a real leather skin, as that seems to get more personal and stylish with signs of wear.
    Also it can be colored with leather colors, and later treated with leather grease. The leather grease can be reapplied every year, to revitalize the leather.

Otherwise, the best advice is to coat the paint/skin with several layers of lacker.

The best color/lacker I have ever used was true car paint. Not the spray can stuff, but items that were mixed of three components, and the sprayed on using an air spray gun.

The three components were color, thinner and hardener.
    It was truly amazing stuff. Gave you a very serious buzz in seconds, if you forgot to use a serious breathing device. It dried in seconds to minutes as well. I was able to give the whole car two coats of paint and three coats of lacker in less than an hour (had access to a serious 3HP compressor then as well)

This kind of thinner is however also very agressive stuff, and may attack the plastic. A small test is highly adviseable.
    A layer of primer may protect the plastic, as well as giving the color better grip.

Hope you find a good solution, that will work well for you.

8. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Maybe a thin layer of carbon fiber on the top and a nice fresh paint
    job like pegasus suggested on the rest of the "case"...

9. abshnasko

abshnasko What's a Dremel?

I vote for light green

10. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

:rock:
    Class idea. I love it!
    Personally, I think you should go for something eye catching, with multiple colors. Maybe get some stencil action going, and have sort of an abstract art theme to it. I don't know, that may be a little much for what you're wanting to do, but I think it'd look great.

11. TehCheckt

TehCheckt What's a Dremel?

I think something of a metallic black would be cool here's what I mean.

[​IMG]

12. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

Use Metallic Blue & Silver! like the alienware laptops kinda blue, it would look well cool :) tho i like the paintball idea :p

13. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

I think you should go with white and a black & red tribal! will post drawing if you want!

14. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

well first of you need to get one thing straight

NOTHING AND I MEAN NOTHING will be able to withstand the abuse of your wrist, that area will show wear and tear. Even colored plastic tends to get smooth in those areas.

Second. you need to understand that regardless of how good the paint is against touching, very few paints are good against scrathing. So the minute that puppy gets scracthed its over.

I would recommend lacquer paints too, but in order to put down lacquers in the correct method you need to have a smooth clean surface, a well done primer job, and then you need to use an airbrush in order to get a smooth finish. If you really plan on making the job last you also need to be able to put down a smooth top coat without getting orange peel.

Go look for some car body kit painting tutorials and youll see how involved the process is.

15. mattthegamer463

i am actually thinking of doing all of the laptop, or at least the parts other than the silver top, in that carbon fiber wrapping that people put on their cd drive housings and stuff. that would look good, because it is subtile and compliments the colour that will be on the silver part. thoughts?

16. tsa cain

tsa cain What's a Dremel?

I used that stuff to paint my truck bed liner (black) and it hasnt worn off in about 1 month. Keep in mind it has rained on it. It has been Directly in the sun everyday. And i have used it to haul stuff from a bed to mulch.
    To sum it up i would highly recomend the krylon plastic spray paint

17. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

if your gonna paint it go withthe krylon fusion, i used it on my priter and it is great. or you can try using carbon fiber vinyl that is used no car dashboards and stuff, you can get it off ebay for pretty cheap theres a thread on the carbon fiber vinyl if your interests so you can use the search to find it. I hope i was helpful :p

18. Pelihirmu

Pelihirmu What's a Dremel?

Nice and very shiny Ferrari red :)

19. mattthegamer463

ok, ive essentially decided on carbon fibre vinyl for everything grey, i just dont know what colour or design would go well with it for the silver part. i want to get a polygfx coating, because they look easy to apply and are fairly durable. i liked that flame with the blue background, and the army camo sorta, but i dont know what will go good. maybe just a solid colour? what do you think i should have?

(and now for post 2)
    also does anyone know how to put on carbon fiber vinyl when theres small spots like on the bottom of the laptop, and little doors that i still need to get into. do i put it over everything and then cut through it where i need to, or do i take the parts off and put wrapping on them individually? if someone could tell me or show me a good guide, id be thankful.

(and another)
    sorry ive got like 3 posts in a row but i actually really like that. ferrari red on the front with a ferrari simbol on the front in the middle, then carbon fibre for the rest. itl look sweet! what about the keyboard though... maybe a darker red with white lettering or something. dunno, ill think about that one.

(thats not all)
    ive got another idea. to make a super strong rugged casing for the laptop that you put the laptop in, like this one from getac, except you can take it off. itl be essentially the same, with rubber on the corners and a metal shell on the outside. then with a rubber layer that you can pull back similiar to those rubber ipod case things, and ill also put thumbscrews or something on the bottom so you can screw the laptop into the casing. or get a really small metal briefcase and put foam and rubber and stuff on it. itl be cool.

(ah go on one more then)
    ok, i changed my mind on making a super rugged special laptop and stick with just painting the laptop with the red on top and carbon fiber on the rest.

posts merged... Mister_Tad

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Sep 2005
  20. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

what is that 4 posts in a row lol just messing nice to let us know happy to know i helped :)