1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks 8MB Broadband from Bulldog/Cable & Wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikeuk2004, 15 Jul 2005.

1. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Ok I have just been looking and blown away by the fact Bulldog offer 8MB Broadband.

I thought this was too good to be true untill I read their company info.

They are owned by Cable & Wireless since May 2004

I dont have much faith in C&W as ive heard so much ******** about them over the years as they are always on programs like Watchdog etc.

Is there anyone out here using Bulldog and can comment on there service and if it is usable and trust worthy or has any decent customer serives.

Also how good are there lines??? Does the line or service mess up time to time and drops the line or is it perfect alwasy on with no problems.

At mo I got AOL 2MB and it drops the line on weekends sometimes and down for 30mins or so. So I just want to make sure before I jump in and cancel AOL and sign up to Bulldog/Cable & Wireless that its not going to give me nightmares and hassle with no line as it drops all the time or other reasons.

Thanks Guys

2. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Hey, Ive got AOL 1meg and it seems ok to me, it does drop from time to time tho.As for Bulldog ive heard ALOT of bad stuff about the service, but ive never actually tried it, For me, what ive heard is enough to stop me using them. Just a bit of advice :thumb:

`P2D

3. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

one of my friends moms is a sails person for bulldog and i've seen the list of BS they get to baffle the customers with.....apparently the lines aren't that bad thought.
    just so you know pretty soon most of the broadband network in the UK are being upgraded to allow more companies to offer faster broadband. for now i'm with blueyonder 2 Mb and its perfect almost never down. they have given free upgrades...i used to have the 1Mb service then through some 50% and other % speed gains i am now on 2Mb. they also do 4Mb as well i think its september time to next year that the work on the network is being done. also the main server security for bulldog isn't as good as some people. (example: blueyonder have 2 hardware NAT firewalls before your connection get to the net)
    anyway thats just my bit of advice......and no i'm not a blueyonder sails person

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

erm, when your with AOL you can't slag off other ISPs, its a rule.

More ISPs are adding 8mbit service, check adslguide.org.uk

5. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

lol, just you watch me

DIE BULLDOG! RWARRRR
    `P2D

6. mikeuk2004

lol while on the suject I just received a call 5 mins ago from Bulldog asking if I wanted to sign up with them.

after researching and finding out that they are really bad and the worst out there from places like THE REGISTER.

Part of the convo went like this.

"Me"

No thankyou as I have seen you in the papers, on The Register and on Watchdog with alot of bad stuff said about you and your customer services are reported as the worst, with crap lines.

"Bulldog Sales person"

ok so would you like a low cost broadband with high speeds........slam!!!

Put the phone down.

From what I told him, did it sound like I wanted Bulldog Broadband???

7. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Sounded like you were very interested in them since that you researched them some :p

8. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

9. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Rearrange this sentence:

barge pole don't touch with a

10. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

I seriously don't get this.......but oh well, don't bother explaining it for me.

11. Big_Den

Big_Den What's a Dremel?

Got a mail shot from Bulldog... 8M Sounded great.

Called them, "sorry only 2meg in your area... you may have 8 meg within a couple of years"

Their adverts are misleading :)

12. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

Big Den theres a list somewere of when exchanges are going to be upgraded.

I've had my parents on F2S (Freedom2Surf) for almost 5 years now, great service as always.

13. mi9tchy

mi9tchy What's a Dremel?

i ordered on march the 31st when it was still 4mb, then i waited a month for it to be connected, no connection, tried to call them up couldnt get through just get cut off, tried emailing them, no reply.
    i waited another month tried calling them then they told me i wouldnt be able to recieve the full 4mb service so if i wanted to continue they would discount how much i paid a month so i said fine, £15.50 a month for more than a 1mb is fine with me, i waited till the 29th of june and my connection was installed, didnt work, but the next day it worked!!!! and i had 8Mbit!!!!! and havent had any problems since, nice 860k a sec downloads and the line is stable.

14. mikeuk2004

looks like you got a good deal in the end after all that waiting and only paying £15

Wonder how long t takes them to realise there mistake.

Im still not hearing anything good about them except you result after the crap service they given you.

I may have to just look elsewhere and stick to 2mb untill other providers start doing 4mb and 8mb.

I would have telewest 4mb but they out of my area :(

15. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

16. mikeuk2004

Thanks TheAnimus, they look like good deals. Might be right up my street.

I have been reading and noticed it mentions plusnet is a share ratio of 30:1. So does this mean I will not always have 8mb down when other members of the public are conected?????

Anyone know what AOL ratio is??? As im with AOL at the mo.

Thanks

17. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

TheAnimus knows!

Ok, you might see this as a little fanboy, but www.freedom2surf.net has always been first class for me. Never a single dropped connection for the last 5 / 6 years, cheap enough and they now do this ADSL2 24MB line (if you're lucky enough to live in this nation's capital).

Just you can't go wrong with them, that's all. Find me one person with a bad word and I'll buy you your next pint!

18. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

f2s, i've used (well, i've had them provide ADSL for my parents) for years, about 5 now (including dial up with them).

the only bad thing i can say is, if u let them host ur site, say you've got foo.bar as ur domain, http://foo.bar will not goto the web server, just the mail server, so people HAVE to type www.foo.bar to see your site.

30:1 is the contention ratio, this is both on the ADSL ATM+ backbone, and the ISP.
    If you want 8mbit constantly to say new york, it would cost you a LOT. We're talking most retail price of about 240£ per month, that would be dedicated to you. What happens is, that there is a ratio, of everyone on your exchange, and everyone at ur ISP. In short yes, ur sharing ur 1 channel with 30 other people, but its not as simple as that, in reality, you're one of a few hundread people wanting capacity, sharing with a few thoudsand of people.

With AOL i'm assuming it would be standard 50:1 ratio.
    Some buisness users or Power users use 20:1 ratio.

19. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Didn't quite qualify for that pint there - but close :p

20. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

how about when i add that when i whined about this to them, and asked them to allow me to xfer the domain, explaining why it was. They didn't care.

Tags: