1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

harry potter anyone?

Discussion in 'General' started by Arkuden, 22 Jul 2005.

1. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

Anyone else here read the new book yet?

Not sure if this is the right forum but i see none for books :)

Anyways just finnished it now and I must say I was extremely impressed. The book series started off geared directly to 10 and eleven year old kids basicly and now the book has advanced with the readers up to age 17 and 18. No longer is it a kids but and me being 20 still found it to be an amazing adventure to read. Hell i even cried at the end of it... but im a softie at heart :duh: :naughty:

Have you read it? Or are you one of those people that arent aware that books are meant to be read?

2. Noot

Noot What's a Dremel?

I love reading.
    I'm currently working on Picture of Dorian Gray.
    I've been meaning to read Harry Potter, but I don't have any of the books, and I've already seen the movies that are out.
    My friend bought the book and she hasnt really put it down yet.
    I'll have to check it out.

3. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

Harry Potter books go against the teachings of the church and insipre kids to worship Satan. Well, so some Christian groups say. Anyway...

I never used to understand the huge hype about Harry Potter. I always saw it as a kids book (for ages around 8) and couldn't understand why so many adults enjoyed the books. When I saw the first book on sale for £2.99 i decided to give it a shot. To my suprise I actually enjoyed it and continued to read the others which I also enjoyed. The latest book is no exception either (Especially the Snape plot).

I was actually one of the sad **************s who got the book just after midnight at Tescos. Apart from about 3 younger people everyone there was over the age of 18.

4. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

yeah i read it all in just under three days.. couldnt put it down really. I wasnt sure what to expect after the high tension scenes the last books depict but this book actually physically had an effect on me. I usually had to stop at times becuase my heart was just racing.

I know what you mean about the christian groups saying. I myself am christian and it hasnt affected me to do any thing of the sorts :) Some people just have too much time on their hands and are only looking for an excuse to scare people back to a religion that becomes less appealing every day.

I didnt wait in line to get the book but i didnt put it off for more than a day either.

5. olv

olv he's so bright

yay, i finished after a couple of days. i love the harry potter books. i was devastated, i dunno how small children will cope.

unfortunately some absolute cock ************ by the name of Bruno_me thought it was a GREAT idea to post a spoiler with no warning, so i knew who died before i even read it. YAY for super ******s.

6. Cardan

Cardan What's a Dremel?

yeah im getting close to the end and its getting pretty good

7. Noot

Noot What's a Dremel?

I was looking in a magazine the other day, and it said that they sold over 9 million copies the first day it came out.
    Amazing.

8. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

yeah....i can understand for u hardcore boys....

i cant stand harry potter and all that jazz!!!! but i did ask a nice young lady at whsmiths while buying my fags who dies...and she proceded to tell me a huge story....at the end i didnt really care... :duh: a good waste of 15mins of my life that i wont get back.

9. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

Well, it was pretty obvious who would die when the bookies near the printers were taking loads of bets on it being the person who did die.

10. Pballer98c

Pballer98c Minimodder

x

Last edited: 16 Apr 2021
  11. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Hey give me some credit, I upset Blue65 with it too!

<A88>

12. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

haha i know that feeling. my local wh smith is 2 doors down from my local!!

still i enjoyed the book and i was quite shocked by the ending. now only gotta wait another fow years to find out how it all finishes!

13. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

rofl :lol:

14. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

I want to read it so bad. Except it must be different here, everyone thinks its a mature book (including book 1). A friend of mine read it in 1 day and if my bro has read the whole series in 3-4 hours.

15. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Ok - I'm not going to read any of the rest of this thread after the first few posts just in case anyone throws in spoilers....

I bought it for my girlfriend for her birthday and I can't read it until she's done - and she reads slowly - I'm dying.

I keep thinking about just going out and buying another copy.

16. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

no spoilers here. just read the book man! :d

woot for 400th post!!!

17. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I really enjoyed the previous books and I couldn't put this one down either, but considering it was some 600 pages long - not a lot happened in it besides *****'s death and *****'s betrayal. it just seemed to be the back story of Volder... He who must not be named.
    I get the feeling it's being setup for the next one and I think ***don't highlight if you haven't read the book yet - aka spoiler:D***
    DD's not really dead, but it's part of a plan so that Snape can appear to be a death eater, and not be killed by the unbreakable promise he made to protect Malfoy

Gotta be honest though, I'm more interested in the Inheritance trilogy's second book - Eldest which should be out at the end of next month. If you haven't read the first one - Eragon - it's well worth a look.

I've now about to start reading the chronicles of Narnia....

Last edited: 22 Jul 2005
  18. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

good read with chronicles of Narnia.

the series is called Inheritance? I shall have to look that up.

I have to agree with you on the spoiler too. Although reading that chapter was a tough one. nearly found myself in tears twice on the last few pages.

19. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I was in the same boat as a lot of adults. Didn't understand the Pottermania until I read the books. I have to admit I'm a big fan now.

Yes, I am one of those dorks you see on opening night (book and movie) with a homemade t-shirt :blush:

Here's my theory:
    Dumbledore is dead. Snape killed him. Snape was more or less tricked into killing him due to the unbreakable vow. However, Snape informed Dumbledore of Draco's plan and his own circumstance involving it, and Dumbledore was insistant that Snape go through with it in order to keep up the appearance of being Voldemort's ally. I think Snape is still a good guy. I also think Harry is a horcrux, which is why Dumbledore was so insistant that Harry retrieve the memory from Slughorn, and why Dumbledore wanted Harry to help retrieve the (fake) locket. Dumbledore and Harry could easily have taken Draco and the few Deatheaters (Dumbledore has handled far more), but Dumbledore needed Snape to kill him, and he needed Harry to witness it. If you pay attention to certain details throughout the book, this is all heavily supported.

Assuming Harry is a horcrux, he will have to die in book 7 to ensure that Voldemort is truly defeated.
    So, am I pathetic or what?

I agree that book 6 was very slow to progress, but the final could of chapters are great. In my opinion, way too much time was spent on the relationship issues. It seemed like the relationships were just a way to get from plot point to plot point, filler for the rest of the school term.

-monkey

20. Pballer98c

Pballer98c Minimodder

:edited:

Last edited: 23 Jul 2005