1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Recommendations on a HTPC case?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mutiny92, 22 Jul 2005.

1. Mutiny92

Mutiny92 What's a Dremel?

I am looking to build a HTPC...what are your recommendations? Lessons learned? Things you found in a case that you really liked (or didn't like?)

tx!

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If you're going for mini-ITX, you may have problems fitting all the components in.

On mine, I had to chop a fairly large hole in the back of the DVD drive to clear the TV card. :wallbash: :dremel:
    It still works though, as the HTPC is compiling Gentoo Linux in the other room as I type this. :)

That was the HTPC specced in my sig, mounted in a Sereniti 2000 case.

I'm now planning a custom (from scratch) case for the parts. :dremel:

3. Mutiny92

If I don't use Mini-ITX, then what should I use? I am trying to get some details, so I can plan to build one. tx-

4. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Micro-ITX would get you a small form factor and then if you get a USB 2.0 TV card that would sort that problem out. It would be small, quiet, take up a small ammount of power and would be a unique PC (from what ive seen and i would LOVE to be corrected).

EDIT:: am i getting mini and micro confused? which one is the mobo with the intergrated CPU and is the one above the Nano-ITX boards that i so want?

Last edited: 23 Jul 2005
  5. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

You could go with a Socket A setup. Get a Micro-Atx board with a 2500+ mobile or there abouts. By using a mobile you can make the case silent as mobiles stay cooler than regular chips. For htpc cases, just get something thats small, looks good with the rest of your A/V rack and something with front usb ports on the front. Hope that helped. Also you could use this card for video. Its an nvida personal cinema with its own software and remote. And its cheap :thumb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814133143

6. Mutiny92

thanks...i appreciate the input

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

That's Mini-ITX, eg the VIA Epia boards.

The other SFF format you're probably thinking of is Micro-ATX, which is usually a standard mobo,
    just with fewer PCI slots.

8. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

9. Mutiny92

very nice...tx for the link!

10. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

yeah i say build your own case, im currently making mine out of any old aiwa stereo reciever, and im trying to save the LCD and LEDs that light up the fron as well.