1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Qoob or viper?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by chemo, 20 Jul 2005.

1. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

want to get one of these mods but dont know which one is best.
    for me so far as i can see is that the qoob has usb connectivity. sounds far better and faster/easier than parralel.

lmk if you guys have any thoughts

:)

2. edz

edz What's a Dremel?

I haven't tried either but I thought qoob looked nicer because it's newer, no soldering reqd, usb. What are you going to be using the modchip for?

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well i literally just bought a viper the other day, should be arriving in the post this morning. People rate the cobra BIOS' better than the qoob one for backup support which is what im most interested in because my naruto disk is getting slowly scratched to ******** because i have to keep disk swapping with the freeloader. I also bought a replacement viper lid (orange) that supports full size disks :)
    My mates an electrical engineer next door, ill get him to do my soldering :D

4. chemo

thats exactlexcellent bindi, let me know how it goes with it.
    i was looking at getting the new lid aswell as the prices for mini dvdrs is quite expensive still.
    to be fair the main reason im getting it is because of no need for swapping my multi region games. but then there might be stuff for linking the network adapter up too which im also interested in. see if any tunnelling software is made available and any online stuff come out aswell.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well, fitted it perfectly fine but it doesnt seem to "initialise" when i turn on the GC and the new viper lid doesnt fit exactly right :( so ive got to play. We're also giving my mates PS2 some love too but it makes the GC look like a walk in the park cause there are some very very small 20 connections to solder :(

6. chemo

you mean the ps2 is harder then?
    if so im glad the ninty is pretty easy to do.
    what do you mean that it doesnt initialise though? dont you have to flash it with a 'fixed' bios to get it running? or do you have to press a switch each time you want to use it?

i didnt think the lids would fit well at all, ive got a fliptop on a ps2 here and it doesnt line up right. but atleast you can get the bigger discs in now, better than leaving the top off altogether.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

20 solder points, of which 15 are incredibly minute or to surface compoents. We had to get some 0.2mm wire to do it. The guy at maplins said the sucess rate is low at best. I'll take some pics of my GC later if i can get it working but ill have to post em elsewhere cause this discussion is "grey" at best.

8. chemo

yup no problem pics would be great, theres very few on the tinter i can find anyways.
    that ps2 thing sounds really dodgy, ill stick to swapping for that then lol.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Cube mod works perfectly, my Jap disks boot seemlessly :) Now im just getting a broadband adapter (£20 from amazon) so as i can backup my 2nd hand disks (they are scratched, but cheap).

10. chemo

excellent, thanks for the update on that matey.
    gonna order one as soon as my cash flow gets better

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Best thing to do is solder with a friend cause u need 3 hands to do the small solderpoints. And make sure you have a tip small enough. You dont need flux because the ends are already done and DONT forget the bridge soldering like i did :duh: Put the chip behind the controller ports NOT by the fan, it fits better when you put the case back on. Stick it with some stickypads or double back some electrical tape, then you can peel it back off.

Then it's all strawberrys and waffles.

12. fei

fei What's a Dremel?

got a qoob here and its pretty easy to installed and easy to flash.
    one reason i went with it is because my mobo has no parallel port.

Tags: