1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics ATI Driver Update...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SiH, 23 Jul 2005.

1. SiH

SiH What's a Dremel?

My current graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9600 pro advantage (256mb). When I upgrade the catalyst drivers they are by default placed within a folder on the root of the C:Drive. Why is this? And, why aren't they targeted to the Program Files directory?

Although I deleted the previous driver [v. 5.6] with the Software Uninstall Utility downloaded from the ATI website prior to installing the current updated version, the folder for that driver is still present on the root of my C:Drive with the driver enclosed? Presumably it is safe to manually delete? I am confused as to why this has been left in situ?

Where do I look in XP to see which current ATI Catalyst Driver I am running?

Many thanks for your help in advance...

SiH... :)

2. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

The folder on the C:\ is just a backup of the installation files. You can delete it if you want to but whenever you install new Catalysts it'll keep coming back :)

3. Johnny Napalm

Johnny Napalm What's a Dremel?

The folder C:\ATI\Support is created by the unzipper when you download the new drivers. Basically it just stores the uncompressed installation files : it does not install the software to this location. After you've installed the driver you can delete any folders within the support folder.

4. Party_refined

Party_refined What's a Dremel?

Hey I also have a Radeon 9600 Pro (256mb) - but when I install the catalyst drivers over the Hydravision, windows open slower and with some sort of wipe effect and also i get an error message when i try to open the Catalyst control centre - any ideas? Sorry to hijack the thread but i saw that someone else has managed to install catalyst drivers on the same card and ...yeah...

5. Party_refined

Party_refined What's a Dremel?

Hey all - ok found the source of the problem somewhere
    To use the catalyst drivers u gotta have Microsoft .NET Framework v 1.1 installed...
    Hope this helps anyone else who has the same problem as me and then panics ...
    PartY

6. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Actually it's not the driver that is requiring you to have .NET installed. It's the Catalyst Control Center. You can run the driver with the old control panel without the need for .NET. At least until the next set of drivers come out and they force you to start using CCC or a third party solution. Just so you know. :D

Tags: