1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Stack-On LAN Box *Lesson Learned*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Snowshadow, 11 Apr 2005.

1. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

You spent 700 dollars on getting things laser cut? Wow man...

2. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

thats quite alot of bang for buck, personally i wouldve done more of the work by myself, aka the lazer cutting - i would just take my time and cut manually.

its a great pc, and alot of thought has gone into it!, hopefully a manufacturer buys it and then you may well see your ideas going mainstream ;)

3. Snowshadow

Snowshadow What's a Dremel?

Ya its a curse for me having to send everything out to people that have access to a laser machine and the correct tools for anodizing. But eMachines.com has there service fee's like anyone else and I don't have access to my own as I work at an Architectural office. It basically came down to spend close to $700.00 for laser cut parts and anodizing or spend four months of me cutting & buying the correct tools to do it myself.

4. KJSatz

KJSatz What's a Dremel?

Well I love the mod. Bit much though.

5. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

dude, that is way too much money. if i had unlimited money, i still wouldnt pay that, even if i actually wanted it. $700 laser cutting?!? super rip off. i think youved chipped your skull with your dremel a few too many times, pal, because nobody is ever going to pay that unless theyre drunk and/or stoned when they do it, or are super rich and dont know when theyre getting ripped off. sorry if i sound mean, but i must be honest.

6. hcker2000

hcker2000 What's a Dremel?

LOL that laser cuting is a rip. As many have said it should have been done by hand. You better figure that the $700 worth of laser cutting as a loss.

If I wanted some thing similar I would just make it my self and save a ton of cash.

7. Snowshadow

Yes $700.00 is a lot of money and I will continue to stand by the price that emachines charged me.

I still haven't heard from any of you, who thinks $700.00 is to much, what the cost of 126 hours or less of your time is worth just cutting let alone anodizing all these parts or even if you have access to a laser, water, or cnc cutting machine and could do all the cutting more cost effectively.

As everyone can tell there are people who would love to have the case but by no means would like to pay the price I have set on ebay and I'm quite fine with that. Go out buy a $20.00 Stack-On 26" toolbox, post a project log, and I would gladly help with any questions you may have.

8. LOTTARO

LOTTARO What's a Dremel?

With that amount of $$$ u can feed almost 20 ruanda or Somali aldea for over a 10 years!

9. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

$700 seams like a lot tbh. You might have been better off going to your local sheet metal shop and either chatting to one of the guys down stairs to see if they'd make it for you off the cuff, or going up stairs with full designs as it would probably be cheaper.
    But for $700 you could have either made your own CNC router or bought a second hand mill.
    Though if you value your time highly then $700 is cheap, I just wouldn't expect many other people to pay it.

10. Snowshadow

Well its the end of the auction and the lesson has been learned. As was posted earlier (by The_Pope) no one is willing to pay big bucks for already built custom designed computers. From the feedback I received from this forum and others it seems that most would rather design and do the work themselves.

I know of a group of people that want to start there own business within Detroit as a cutting service for custom computer mods and I hope this also helps them see that their prices better be well below the $700.00 I paid for my services.

Secondly it has shown me what the market price for computer cases is today (albeit I learned the hard way). Everyone's response has allowed me to think more creatively on how to get this case down to the $50-$60 dollar range.

11. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Why would they have their prices below the 700 dollars you paid... you did pay..

12. NoCoolOnesLeft

NoCoolOnesLeft What's a Dremel?

If money were no option, I would buy that in a heart beat. It is bad ass! Just way too pricey for a lot of people. :(

13. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

I like it alot but, i would rather go for a breifcase type size.

14. Snowshadow

I know what you're talking about, though I kinda would like to know from those who already have built a briefcase style pc if they have run into isues with there design. Right now with my Stack-On LAN box I have just enough room on a typical LAN party sytle 30"x70" folding table to put my keboard in front of the case. The problem I run into when designing a briefcase style pc is I no longer have as much room to put my keyboard and mouse in front of the case and the LCD seems very far away at 30". I guess I would have to set up a mockup with my spare 17" LCD to see exactly what kind of room I would be dealing with before I design a briefcase style PC.

15. Snowshadow

Maybe I should have re-worded that differently about making sure their prices are well below $700.00. I guess I would rather ask the question out of curiosity, is it really possible to make a living off of providing cutting services for computer modders when myself and a very few others thinks that $700.00 is reasonable. Of course a company like this could offer cutting services beyond computer modders, but I'm clueless to even what that market offers. I know I would send my designs to them (when they start their company) because I like to support local businesses and its easier to build business relationships, but neither did I expect that $1400.00 for a custom designed case would cause as much controversy as it did.

16. Liquid

Liquid What's a Dremel?

awsome work :thumb:

me like it :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :naughty:

17. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

$700 for lazer cutting is very pricy if i say so myself, thats like £400-500 here! damn, i would do the work myself, and then get a home anodization kit!!! duh! cheaper!

but i like the design, it makes me realise how small a pc really can be, and also how useable :D

18. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

Either way I really like the mod, regardless of the price (I probably would have paid the same since I never settle for second best).
    I really like the size and format but I have but one problem with it and it catches my eye every time.
    The plastic lip under the CD Drives is crooked and there seems to be a slight hole on the left side.
    the solution I would offer to resolve this would be a nice strip of plastic truck moulding, cut it at 45 degrees and and make a sorta mitred edge and I think that would look perfect.

Good job I'm really impressed.

19. LOTTARO

LOTTARO What's a Dremel?

Think in the somali pipol....

i think 1000 dolars is good.

20. Graffix

Graffix What's a Dremel?

its a sweet pc but the price is a bit OTT :nono: