1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is adding a cathode a mod or a premod?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Whisp[TR], 26 Aug 2004.

?

Is adding a cathode a premod or a mod?

1. premod

121 vote(s)
    49.6%
  2. mod

123 vote(s)
    50.4%
  1. crappish

crappish What's a Dremel?

It definately is a modification (mod), since the case isn't stock anymore. There should even not be any debate over this. Premod is simply a stock part which is modificated by third party, before you bought it.

[rant mode]

To someone who said that slapping those neons under your Civic doesn't coun't for any kind of a modification: Sir, do you have any idea what kind of a work load it is to "slap in" those neons? There is the process of wiring, protecting and attaching the neons in the way that they can keep up with your Civic. It definately is not an bolt-on job.

Next, someone said that slapping in a neon to your case is same thing as adding a video-card to your motherboard. And that's another no. The two pieces (motherboard and video-card) simply work together, much like your computer and display, neither is a mod to another. I would define it when something extra is either _attached_ or fabricated on to stock (out-of-the-box) part. I.e. slap a Zalman nortbridge cooler to your motherboard and you have effectively modified your motherboard. Agreed, it might not be a big modification but it is a modification still, as long as you somehow _modify_ the stock part, i.e. attach something on it, cut a hole, paint it etc.

If you want to go to that road where you have to make everything yourselves; Surely you aren't using premade leds? Or premade grills etc.

To satisfy the infamous elitists, maybe what we need is couple of new terms. Something like: premodded, modded, fabricated, custom made
    premodded and modded I've already got covered but let's take a look of the other ones.
    Fabricated (in the lack of better term): Something like the Doom3: Project Mars City, which uses the stock case as base but hardly has any kind of representation of it.
    Custom made: Something like Dark-Blade, which is completely custom-made

Anyways. Please, try to put aside your ego, as it is no good for the scene itself. Blaming newcomers, with bolt-on neons, only as "lame-ass, half-witted, wannabe-modders" will only drive them away. And we don't need that.

[/rant mode]

Peace. Out.

Edit: Personally I would not say changing or adding fans is a modification, as to me, fan's count as a hardware. Why? Because, they have essential and clear function and basically hardware won't work without them. Hence, by changing fans you're simply changing your hardware.
    Now, i.e. leds and buttons provide information and means of control, they don't have such essential functionality as the hardware is concerned, they are just human interaction devices integrated on the case. Hence by changing leds of your case, you're effectively modifying your case.

Hope this analogy makes any sense. Kinda having hard time finding the right words. :rolleyes:

Last edited: 22 Jul 2005
  2. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

for me it count's as premod

3. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

Neither a Mod nor Premod- It is a hardware change/addition for purely asthetic reasons.

Crappish makes a good point against it being a mod with his Civic analogy.

As unlike the Civic which would require a little work for its bolt on custom made premod (you actually have to bolt the things on) you have to do no modifications to the case of a computer to attach a cathode, hell most of them fit with no more then double sided sticky pads, even a hard drive needs screws.

Both could then be taken back to the store un-moddified for a refund.

You could mod a case, including a cc as part of the modification. But if you could remove the cathode and RMA it, it ain't moddified.

You could mod the cc with custom wiring/electronics/casing, plugging it in doesn't cut it for me, as pointed out
    Another good point was made about the northbridge heatsink, if you change a stock heatsink off the northbridge (invalidating your mobo warrentee) and replace it with a device outside the original specifications of the motherboard, its a mod. however fitting a CPU cooler, inside the original specifications (not invalidating the warrentee), isn't a mod.

A cathode isn't outside the original specifications of the case, you aren't about to void a warrentee.

A cathode is a factory made part, it is designed to go in computer cases, it is no more a mod then plugging a monitor in.

4. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

i believe that a mod is something you actually made, so if you take a cold cathode and stick it in your case, you didnt make anything, you just installed a part you bought.

5. theCrusifix

theCrusifix What's a Dremel?

I'd say a mod, only because of mattthegamer's idea of it, no offence man, but you cant really make cold cathode lights...and some people including me enjoy's a few lights in the case to brighten it up a bit

6. Whisp[TR]

Whisp[TR] What's a Dremel?

Id disagree with that. Many people can make cold cathodes if they had the right parts. I have seen experimental kits at electronic stores too. Its just a matter of know how and the right set of instructions.

7. zackbass

zackbass What's a Dremel?

As another example of a CC being more than something just bought, my first cold cathode many years ago was ripped from a junk flatbed scanner. I took out the light and the inverter and soldered a power connector onto it. That's about as modded as anything.

8. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

that one counts as a mod though because you took a scanner and make a cc out of it, so its different. but the ones you buy are premods. ive never seen a pole thats tied after 240 votes either! thats pretty amazing.