1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Advice on Wireless Setup (New)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Death Reaper, 29 Jul 2005.

1. Death Reaper

Death Reaper What's a Dremel?

Hey,

My friend (we live with him) is getting a new computer, so we're going to need to get a router, since I'm in the basement and he's all the way upstairs we obviously need a wireless router. The internet is run in through my room (basement) so the router will probably be placed here. What I need to know is what kinda router/package would be good? We need a cheap solution since there have been a lot of expenses.

The wireless connectivity should be able to support 4+ computers ideally. I read that I can hook my computer up wired from the router which will be fine, so I'll have my friend's computer, then my dad and his mom are going to get themselves a computer (2 on the wireless) then I have a computer I'm building (3) then I hope to have a laptop (4) and I might use a fileserver (this can probably be wired)

What would be the ideal router and adapter that gives me the best bang for my buck? We're in Canada, so any links that might help would be welcomed.

Right now we will only need the router and 1 (or 2 if I hook my comp up wirelessly anyway) adapters.

I was looking at some DLink and LinkSYS routers, there is a DLink package:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...665000FS10051717&catid=19994&logon=&langid=EN

It comes with router and 1 adapter...I assume this would work for what I need?

Any advice/info/suggestions appreciated.

Oh, and not sure if this should be here or in hardware..figured it might be better here since it's for network junkies ;)

Regards,

2. chicagotech

chicagotech What's a Dremel?

Linksys and Dlink are good choices. You sould be ale to add more than 4 computers on one wireless router.

For how to setup wireless router, this page may help,

wireless setupIf your wireless network doesn't have an AP, you will need to set your cards ... When setup Ad Hoc mode, make sure all wireless clients use the same mode, ...
    http://www.chicagotech.net/wireless.htm

3. SamHain7315

SamHain7315 What's a Dremel?

I I remember correctly I think the linksys i have, wrt54g can have up too 4, 5, or 6 people wireless, plus you got the four other ports you can hardline into it which one would be yours.

4. Death Reaper

Death Reaper What's a Dremel?

Awesome, I'll most likely pick up a linksys then, probably get speedbooster, since speed is good ;)

Regards,

5. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

I would go with Netgear since I haven't had any problems with them yet. Their wireless routers are very good and provide good enough range for my entire house. I haven't expierenced any random disconnects from it either. I have had a few problems with Linksys routers though, wireless or not, they most of the time seem to get overloaded or overheat too often for me and require me to restart them often. But as we all know some have had bad luck with certain brands while other have had very good luck with the same brands that the other person hasn't.

Tags: