1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding (Q-Tec != QTechnology) -> Ripped off!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 22 Jul 2005.

1. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Replace with Quiet fan (I won't reccomend quiet fans, as anything is quiet compared to my Delta setup (an F16 will get a run for it's money).

When funds allow, replace the whole thing. They are, as stated, complete and Utter s**t. I've seen them take out systems, yes, whole systems, when they let go. Hell, I remember reading on the net that one let go, and the whole house burnt down as a result.

I've got one in work (550W Dual Fan, and I'm a tech), and when replaced with a generic cheap(15 quid), one, all problems with the system magically go away.

No need to go nuts on one, a nice Jeantech or Fortron Source (Same thing), will see you good, and they aren't hellishly expensive.

2. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

oh balls, hadn't heard anything that bad about them.
    hope it's not that which randomly took out my onboard network today.

3. Alien

Alien What's a Dremel?

I don't have any experience of Jeantech myself, but if you want 1, you can get a 400w 1 from PC World for £33.99. Here's a tip, if you want something from PC World & you have 1 near you [apparently there's 2 in the land of scouse :) ] you can get the web price in store by just ringing up & reserving it 1st.

4. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I need a quiet one really, and those numbers are a little high.

5. TMM

TMM Modder

Just sell it to some noob and get yourself a real powersupply :naughty:

6. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

nuts, i've already opened it up (ripped sticker) so that might be too obvious.
    (i could always just completely remove the sticker... :naughty: )

7. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

Last edited: 1 Aug 2005
  8. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

well, tbh, I don't need a particularly powerful psu, just need it to be quiet.
    I'm trying to make a system I can keep on overnight w/o waking the gf.

9. Alien

Alien What's a Dremel?

buy the gf some ear plugs, much cheaper. :D

10. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

11. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I could, but I don't want to have to buy yet another PSU - is my q-tec that bad?!

(glad you're finding the collection useful, spread the word(!))

12. retrogamer

retrogamer What's a Dremel?

Why did you buy a QTec PSU? Its a ticking time bomb! Theyre cheap but notoriously crap PSUs.

13. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

If you are after a system to leave on overnight, a mate of mine has got an mATX case and an old AMD Thunderbird that he leaves on overnight - in order to get it quiet, he shrouded the thing with mdf with the psu clear and venting out the back, cut a front blow hole in the front to keep the system cool and it made the whole system massivley quieter. - How ever, get rid of the Q Tec, they really are just far too un-reliable - and if you are leaving on overnight - you really don't want something that may fail when you are asleep. Safety First!

14. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Because I was suckered, obviously.

I think you may be right.

nuts!

15. Alien

Alien What's a Dremel?

Jazzle - Whilst I am 1 of the ones advocating switching to a different PSU, in fairness I should point out that mine lasted over 2 years before it started giving me grief, & then it didn't take any other parts with it, it just went from booting [cold boot, from being powered off, not a reboot] normally to taking several attempts - kinda like an old car on a cold winter morning [when it didn't work, all I got was a siren & an error code on my mobo's LED wotsit].

Do I think you should replace the PSU as soon as you get the chance? Yes. Do I think you should lose sleep over it in the meantime if you're PC's running ok & doesn't have any problems/symptoms? No. I'd say use it for now, & save up as quick as you can for something by a quality brand. I just had a quick look, & found this 1. I haven't personally any experience of Enermax, but they have a long established reputation of being 1 of the best makes of PSU. Until my current PSU, I too used cheapo PSUs, but I don't think I'll be doing that again.

16. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Hi,
    thanks for the reassurance, and for the suggestion - Enermax does seem to be mentioned often, though am not so sure about having two fans.

I think I will be selling this on, I didn't have anything against the ebay seller, so shouldn't have qualms about doing the same to someone else. (Can't believe I chucked my old one already though - that was an error!)

17. Alien

Alien What's a Dremel?

Don't assume that 2 fans = noisy. My Ultra X-Connect has 2 & is very quiet. Then again so is anything compared to the Delta on my CPU! LOL. Seriously though, I doubt it'll be a problem, especially as 1 of them looks like it's a 120mm [or at least a 92mm - bigger = quieter].

18. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

They're illegal in Norway. Too dangerous! :worried:

I'd buy a new one tbh -- much better thatah using that hunk'o'junk. Tagan make good ones at a better price than Enermax, iirc.

ch424

19. Alien

Alien What's a Dremel?

Where'd you hear that? I only ask out of interest, as I know someone else who has a Q-tec.

20. edz

edz What's a Dremel?