1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: 1U VIA 2xNIC UNIX Router using Compact Flash

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by polus, 29 Jul 2005.

1. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

Also with a cf card, there is less moving parts to fail. From what I can make out the only moving part is the 40mm fan. So it'l be quiter, and last longer before it needs attention hardware wise. Correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't a cf card produce a LOT less heat, than a hard drive.

2. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Yes it would since it isnt spinning and not generating heat off a motor.

3. polus

polus What's a Dremel?

I didnt manage to get anything done today :( Too busy with designing software. Ill do some tomorrow and measure the depth. I got the dimensions from the fact that 1U = 40mm and its 19" wide. Then the depth was decided by whats going inside.

I might use OpenBSD but Im more at home with FreeBSD so it will probably be that ;)

Indeed :)

Less heat, noise. Increased reliability. The 40mm fan wownt even be spinning unless the temperature reaches a certain amount.

In todays IT market everyones out to get the fastest hardware, without thinking "what do i actually need." I dont need a hard disk. I will have a reduced installation of *BSD that is pulled from the compact flash disk into a RAM disk (in this machine theres 512MB). This is due to the limited number of write's to compact flash.

The only downside is logs. I will write them to my UNIX server across the network ;)

4. PirateTheMeep

PirateTheMeep What's a Dremel?

Up to you, but my votes for OpenBSD.

5. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Offtopic but PirateTheMeep I love your sig, the english part :p.